Rainy Days in Port

Pops, Esq.

So....starting to look at the weather forecast for our day in Grand Cayman. (May 25 if it matters). Looks like a high chance of rain. While I suspect many times, a likely chance of rain could mean that it just rains for 30 minutes at 4:30 in the afternoon, the forecast for that days currently seems a little more than that (although the fingers are crossed). If it rains, any suggestions for a rainy day? I have seen good things about the National Art Museum. Other suggestions?

And, in a related note -- While there are probably 1,000 other factors into the decision to tender/not tender, what kind of wind speeds will start to make the likelihood of tendering pretty low? Forecasts are currently calling for winds (from the ENE) at 10 to 20 MPH. That seems like it could be on the high end, but it could also be a normal day in Georgetown.

Like I said, keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by Pops, Esq.

Geez, that's 13 day away. I would have no faith in forecasts that are 13 days away not just for Caymans but for almost anywhere.

That being said, when we were there in March, it poured on our ship (Reflection), my husband stayed aboard while I got a 5 minute sprinkle while on Cemetery Beach. The time before that, we drove through heavy rain coming back from Rum Point only to find out there had been not a drop in town.

Weather there is very changeable.

Geez, that's 13 day away. I would have no faith in forecasts that are 13 days away not just for Caymans but for almost anywhere.

That being said, when we were there in March, it poured on our ship (Reflection), my husband stayed aboard while I got a 5 minute sprinkle while on Cemetery Beach. The time before that, we drove through heavy rain coming back from Rum Point only to find out there had been not a drop in town.

Weather there is very changeable.

I have 9 days until departure. I gotta do something, and checking the weather is something! But, your response is what I am hoping....."rain" doesn't mean all-day-downpour. But....that being said, I kinda want to go to the museum now that I have researched it....

It's not just winds....tides can affect tendering, too...and the direction of the wind.

Wind direction, yes. ENE 10-20 is a pretty normal day and should present no problem tendering to George Town. Spin that wind direction to WNW and keep it at 10-20 and George Town would be blown out. All the ships would have to move to Spotts.

Tides...:confused: uh... no. Tidal variation in Cayman is minimal and not a factor for tendering. Maximum tidal variation from highest high to lowest low is maybe 2ft over the course of a year.

As to rain... we are coming out of the dry season. Daily rain, heavy at times, is not particularly unusual this time of year. All day rains are more rare and more typical of later in the year.

If you happen to end up in Cayman on one of those all day rains then the National Museum is good for a short while, but best is probably to go with the flow and visit the stingrays. Gonna get wet anyway.