Vatican Post Office

cormike1

My girlfriend said there was a trailer saying "Post Office" at the Vatican but did not have time to go and see if you could buy stamps or postcards and have them stamped from "the Vatican" Does anyone know exactly what you can do/buy/mail at that post office? I would love to be able to buy postcards and stamps and mail them right there. Thanks a lot.

My girlfriend said there was a trailer saying "Post Office" at the Vatican but did not have time to go and see if you could buy stamps or postcards and have them stamped from "the Vatican" Does anyone know exactly what you can do/buy/mail at that post office? I would love to be able to buy postcards and stamps and mail them right there. Thanks a lot.

When I was there a few years ago, there was indeed a trailer in St. Peter's Square that served as a post office. You can see it on Google maps aerial photo view in the lower right portion of the circular square. I don't recall all of the services they offered, but I bought a post card for a friend back here in the USA and had it stamped and mailed right in the trailer. I'm pretty sure they had a selection of postcards and stamps to choose from. But I probably just had them put any Vatican stamp on it and had it sent.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I know the yellow trailer is out in St. Peter's Square. I didn't go inside. Definitely stamps, and postcards. To get the Vatican City postmarks, be sure to put your postcards and letters in the YELLOW Vatican City postboxes, NOT the RED Poste Italiane ones!!!!

I actually liked going to the old post office like you would find in a small town. When you are at the far right beginning of the columns, (not thru them) look to the right past the souvenir stand. There are wooden doors back in there. I don't remember if they had postcards but they are everywhere.

I actually liked going to the old post office like you would find in a small town. When you are at the far right beginning of the columns, (not thru them) look to the right past the souvenir stand. There are wooden doors back in there. I don't remember if they had postcards but they are everywhere.

I didn't see a trailer Post Box. We were there on a Wednesday so maybe it was hidden by the crowds. Each time i have been to the Vatican I have bought my cards from a big shop beside the square, they sell stamps and I have used the mail box there.

I am a postcard geek so getting the Vatican stamps on the cards is important to me. My postcard home is my souvenir of my visit. It is a sort of sad pleasure that once all the washing is done and you are back at work, a post card arrives and it is one more memory of a great trip. :o

I didn't see a trailer Post Box. We were there on a Wednesday so maybe it was hidden by the crowds. Each time i have been to the Vatican I have bought my cards from a big shop beside the square, they sell stamps and I have used the mail box there.

I am a postcard geek so getting the Vatican stamps on the cards is important to me. My postcard home is my souvenir of my visit. It is a sort of sad pleasure that once all the washing is done and you are back at work, a post card arrives and it is one more memory of a great trip. :o

We went into the trailer too. (Had seen it on google maps or earth) It was on the left as we entered the columns and the mailboxes were in front of it. Sent several cards but didn't think to send ourselves one. Also bought commemorative ones for a friend who collects.

I have used the post office that is inside the Vatican where you enter the Vatican museum. You can buy postcards and stamps there and then mail them from there as well. It is actually one of the easiest places to find stamps in Rome. Outside of the Vatican, I have had to stop at numerous places before finding stamps. They always seem to be out stamps that will get postcards to the U.S.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Use the PO in the Vatican it is good to use their stamps and the knowledgeable Romans use it as well as its more efficient and quicker than the Italian PO. You see people from offices bringing post here regularly.

In Europe the Italian PO does not have a very good reputation.

The stamps are also Good souvenirs, which are easily transported.

• 7 months later...
Use the PO in the Vatican it is good to use their stamps and the knowledgeable Romans use it as well as its more efficient and quicker than the Italian PO. You see people from offices bringing post here regularly.

In Europe the Italian PO does not have a very good reputation.

The stamps are also Good souvenirs, which are easily transported.

HA, I thought the USPS had the monopoly on slow service, guess not. Easy now, I work for the post office :) Mid Nov. I mailed postcards from Rhodes and from Venice. The postcards from Rhodes arrived in about a month, the ones from Venice still haven't arrived!!

I was there in September 2016. There are two post offices -- one in the colonnade and in a trailer. Both have a selection of cards and stamps. It took eight days for my air mailed card to reach me in the US. The neat thing about the Vatican PO is that you'll get your change in euros with the Pope's head on them. Different than the euros outside the Vatican.