Palancar or CHANKANAAB in Cozumel

nikicole

My husband and I will be traveling with our 3 kids (9, 7, and 3). My parents will also be with us. We were planning on going to Palancar since we are on a tight budget. Then, I got to looking at Chankanaab and like the idea of the nearby reef to snorkel around. We have never been snorkeling and I think my older two children would love being near the marine life, whether or not they will successfully snorkel or not. At such a low price, it's very tempting. Yet, the more secluded laid back beach of Palancar seems nice too. Can't decide. The only reason we'd choose Chankanaab is for the snorkeling. We can do without the sea lion show, playground, and everything else.

I'd throw Playa Mia into the mix - very popular with kids that age. Has a water play area for young kids, pool and two big water slides that end in pretty shallow water so don't need to be good swimmer to do. Also water inflatables out in ocean - though not easy to swim to but you're wearing life vest, so doable. Can also use kayaks - included in entrance fee. Not a snorkeler, so can't speak to that. Entrance fee is $30 ($25 for under 12). Cab ride from pier is $16 for four people - $32 for 6-8 people.

Chankanaab would be pricey for a large family and Palancar does not have good shore snorkeling. Plus there isn't a reef close to shore at Chank. It is the ironshore area (rocks) that holds the fish. The coral is coming back to the area now but was devastated several years ago by Hurricane Wilma. If you want decent shore snorkeling you could try Playa Uvas which is next to Chank or Playa Corona or the Money Bar. The beaches aren't much at any of them because of the ironshore, but that is where you see the fish. My pick for you would be Playa Uvas. It has a small beach area, decent snorkeling, they offer several packages and are cheaper than Chank, yet right next door. Google them and check them out.

My husband and I will be traveling with our 3 kids (9, 7, and 3). My parents will also be with us. We were planning on going to Palancar since we are on a tight budget. Then, I got to looking at Chankanaab and like the idea of the nearby reef to snorkel around. We have never been snorkeling and I think my older two children would love being near the marine life, whether or not they will successfully snorkel or not. At such a low price, it's very tempting. Yet, the more secluded laid back beach of Palancar seems nice too. Can't decide. The only reason we'd choose Chankanaab is for the snorkeling. We can do without the sea lion show, playground, and everything else.

Chank comes with a $20 per adult admission fee (not sure what they will charge for your three little ones?), and as mentioned above will be pricey for your group.

None of the places with good shore snorkeling will also offer a good beach for your youngsters. Palancar is laid back but will cost you extra in taxi fare compared to Paradise Beach ($3 admission fee) or the non-AI side of Mr. Sanchos (free admission). Playa Mia, suggested above, has a great kiddie water park for your 3-year old, plus a nice beach, but is mostly (exclusively?) a package deal with various AI options the last time I checked.

• 2 weeks later...