Gem is canceling GSC again this week!

emcemt

Does the $50 apply to just one person in the cabin or is it $50 for all :confused:? We are on the June 4th sailing and would hate to miss this stop.

According to another cruiser, the issue was fixed.

Did you guys see the press release today with details about the upgrades coming to GSC? Amazing!

https://www.ncl.com/press-releases/norwegian-cruise-line-unveils-new-luxury-features-and-more-family-friendly-amenities-

I saw that earlier today on the NCL Facebook page. Scratching my head about the Exclusive Lagoon Retreat with studio, one and two bedroom villas. Isn't GSC just a one day "port stop", if so why would there be a need for a villa with accommodations for up to 10 people?

I saw that earlier today on the NCL Facebook page. Scratching my head about the Exclusive Lagoon Retreat with studio, one and two bedroom villas. Isn't GSC just a one day "port stop", if so why would there be a need for a villa with accommodations for up to 10 people?
Isn't Harvest Caye going to have accommodations as a destination resort? Edited by NLH Arizona

Isn't Harvest Caye going to have accommodations as a destination resort?

According to that press release- yes, they will have resort-style accommodations, but no mention of bedrooms.

"Harvest Caye’s seven acre pristine beach will be the heart of the destination, with white sand and crystal clear waters as the star. Guests who wish to enjoy the day in privacy can opt to rent one of the island’s 11 luxurious beach villas. These indulgent enclosed villas can accommodate up to 10 guests and are the ultimate beach escape, equipped with every comfort including air conditioning, dedicated lounge and dining areas, a private restroom, indoor and outdoor showers, hammocks, and exclusive dining and beverage options with dedicated concierge service so guests never have to leave the beach."

Hmmm, :p - after successful priority tendering to GSC - check into one of these exclusive resort villa for 7 or 8 hours, flip the DND sign - perhaps a bit of hanky panky :D (better have good sound insulation & total visual privacy for the guests) ... bedrooms are typically for sleeping and ------------ (use your own imaginations to fill in the blank space).

Can't see them running a shuttle to the next port by giving an overnighting option ? :confused:

Edited by mking8288

Hmmm, :p - after successful priority tendering to GSC - check into one of these exclusive resort villa for 7 or 8 hours, flip the DND sign - perhaps a bit of hanky panky :D (better have good sound insulation & total visual privacy for the guests) ... bedrooms are typically for sleeping and ------------ (use your own imaginations to fill in the blank space).

Can't see them running a shuttle to the next port by giving an overnighting option ? :confused:

I'm wondering if they're going to offer guests stay there a few days. Cruise over on the Sky, and stay until the Sky returns next. With 3 and 4 day cruises this might be an option. I can see it now. Booking the sky? Two options....cruise RT all at once or cruise over one way.....stay a few days and cruise back one way. Depending on your option is the cost of your cruise.

Harriet

Harriet, interesting & I thought about it for a moment too ... assuming that they will have to clear with U.S. authorities as the pax manifest required for CBP/Homeland Security alone might be an issue, which they can work on & change as they wish.

It does pose other logistical challenges like transfer of luggages for those "extended" stay ? Smack in the hurricane zone/season - can they shelter in place or would they evacuate the island on short notice like rabbits, bring in the chopters & take them over to Nassau or whatever's closest safely. What about the butler/concierge and room stewards ... guest services in general on the island ?

That's doable for the Sky doing the 3 or 4 days short hop from MIA but not good for the GEM or Breakaway out of NY ... can't imagine being there for 7 days. NCL can, of course, modify their sequence port stops & make pickup pax after dropping them off - it would be interesting if they can come with a working plan and pull the trigger successfully. Tendering alone is the big challenge - as the option for putting a pier to berth isn't a practical one from previous discussions.

GSC has a seasonal crew that work & live on the island, some/all of them used to work on the cruise ships & given the choice, they actually liked being on land ... have shorter working hours & when the day visitors from the ship are gone, they have the entire place to themselves and self-sufficient ... once their assigned duties & wrap-up are done.

Harriet, interesting & I thought about it for a moment too ... assuming that they will have to clear with U.S. authorities as the pax manifest required for CBP/Homeland Security alone might be an issue, which they can work on & change as they wish.

It does pose other logistical challenges like transfer of luggages for those "extended" stay ? Smack in the hurricane zone/season - can they shelter in place or would they evacuate the island on short notice like rabbits, bring in the chopters & take them over to Nassau or whatever's closest safely. What about the butler/concierge and room stewards ... guest services in general on the island ?

That's doable for the Sky doing the 3 or 4 days short hop from MIA but not good for the GEM or Breakaway out of NY ... can't imagine being there for 7 days. NCL can, of course, modify their sequence port stops & make pickup pax after dropping them off - it would be interesting if they can come with a working plan and pull the trigger successfully. Tendering alone is the big challenge - as the option for putting a pier to berth isn't a practical one from previous discussions.

GSC has a seasonal crew that work & live on the island, some/all of them used to work on the cruise ships & given the choice, they actually liked being on land ... have shorter working hours & when the day visitors from the ship are gone, they have the entire place to themselves and self-sufficient ... once their assigned duties & wrap-up are done.

They would also have to finally improve the port so that the ships could actually land their passengers at the dock, instead do tendering them over. Otherwise that two day layover could turn into a week because of bad weather. It's doable but it will cost a good deal of cash. Still, all theses improvements sound wonderful, and like they'll be money makers for NCL so it will happen, eventually!

It all sounds very interesting and we will be looking

forward of seeing and using the new and improved

GSC.

We will just wait and see how everything is going

to take place, I'm not even going to think about

it, until it is open to book for excursion gin 2017.

From the write up about it, it looks to be very

swanky and beautiful !

Marion

Landing on GSC first is the first challenge, everything else is secondary - regardless of the upscale facilities being put forth, out of 5 scheduled port stops there over the years - our average is 0.60 ...

Weather / mother nature :D

Landing on GSC first is the first challenge, everything else is secondary - regardless of the upscale facilities being put forth, out of 5 scheduled port stops there over the years - our average is 0.60 ...

Weather / mother nature :D

We have been very lucky, only

missed one out of 4 and that was

because of Azipods issues

Marion

I'm wondering if they're going to offer guests stay there a few days. Cruise over on the Sky, and stay until the Sky returns next. With 3 and 4 day cruises this might be an option. I can see it now. Booking the sky? Two options....cruise RT all at once or cruise over one way.....stay a few days and cruise back one way. Depending on your option is the cost of your cruise.

Harriet

Weird, right? I mean, MSC cruise line also uses this port. I wonder if that will stop, or if NCL guests overnighting would be mingling and dining amongst the MSC guests? It doesn't really seem that would be feasible.

The fact is, they could put ANYTHING there with a price tag, and someone will pay for it just to feel special or superior. It could have 4 bedrooms and a home movie theater, but only be available for a 2 hour stay, and people would pay for it. Ha!

Weird, right? I mean, MSC cruise line also uses this port. I wonder if that will stop, or if NCL guests overnighting would be mingling and dining amongst the MSC guests? It doesn't really seem that would be feasible.

The fact is, they could put ANYTHING there with a price tag, and someone will pay for it just to feel special or superior. It could have 4 bedrooms and a home movie theater, but only be available for a 2 hour stay, and people would pay for it. Ha!

Why not? if that's what some people want to

spend their on while on vacation, it's their

money, and they can spend it however they

see fit. I say good for whomever can afford

it, after all you only live once, and you sure

can't take it with you when you die

Marion

Your right of course! But I did just learned one thing… MSC also uses this port? I thought it was Norwegians private island? Or am I somehow confused this morning??

Harriet

Your right of ctourse! But I did just learned one thing… MSC also uses this port? I thought it was Norwegians private island? Or am I somehow confused this morning??

Harriet

I thought MSC was part of NCL but my Hubby

told me it's not. I don't know why they would

GSC, unless they are paying NCL big $$ when

they do use it!

Marion

Edited by mkalio

Your right of course! But I did just learned one thing… MSC also uses this port? I thought it was Norwegians private island? Or am I somehow confused this morning??

Harriet

I thought MSC was part of NCL but my Hubby

told me it's not. I don't know why they would

GSC, unless they are paying NCL big $$ when

they do use it!

Marion

GSC is owned by NCL, but MSC pays them or something like that to use it. (Assuming they still do. I haven't looked since last year some time.)

GSC is owned by NCL, but MSC pays them or something like that to use it. (Assuming they still do. I haven't looked since last year some time.)

Yes I know GSC is owned by NCL,just wondering

about MSC using the Island

Marion

Why not? if that's what some people want to

spend their on while on vacation, it's their

money, and they can spend it however they

see fit. I say good for whomever can afford

it, after all you only live once, and you sure

can't take it with you when you die

Marion

Exactly! There are suckers that will spend their money on anything as long as they believe it's exclusive.