Privee -- protocol

phillygirl63

I have booked an evening at Privee and will be inviting other couples that we meet on our cruise to join us. We did not have the opportunity to enjoy Privee on our last cruise, because (quite honestly), it was our first O cruise, and we didn't consider that we would be making as many friends on the ship as we did. So, we have decided to be prepared this time.

Here's my question -- What is the protocol for the purchase of alcohol for our guests. DH and I plan to purchase the prestige drink package at the beginning of the cruise, so we are covered. But what about our guests who are not participating in a package? Is it expected that I cover their drink purchases? Or is the invitation to Privee enough?

I have booked an evening at Privee and will be inviting other couples that we meet on our cruise to join us. We did not have the opportunity to enjoy Privee on our last cruise, because (quite honestly), it was our first O cruise, and we didn't consider that we would be making as many friends on the ship as we did. So, we have decided to be prepared this time.

Here's my question -- What is the protocol for the purchase of alcohol for our guests. DH and I plan to purchase the prestige drink package at the beginning of the cruise, so we are covered. But what about our guests who are not participating in a package? Is it expected that I cover their drink purchases? Or is the invitation to Privee enough?

Nothing is expected, it's entirely up to you.

When you board the ship, you will find a reservation confirmation card in your cabin which also has contact information for the captain of Privée. He will put you in touch with the Cellar Master to arrange for wine service , if that is your choice.

I'd suggest doing whatever you would do if you invited casual friends to a dinner party in a private room at restaurant in your home town.

When I invite people as my guests I always take care of the wine..on the other hand, you can make it clear to your guests when you invite them, that they are responsible for any wine or liquor purchases..

That would be fine..

Jancruz1

...you can make it clear to your guests when you invite them

Jancruz has the key, simply communicate.

Once we hosted and once were guests at Privee, both times on a byob basis with people who were into wine and shared pours around the table from the various bottles.

Enjoy!

Thanks, everyone. Since it seems to be acceptable, I think I am going to make it a byob just because it is least complicated option, given that DH and I will be on the prestige beverage package. I AM going to try to purchase a few bottles of wine in London to bring on board to enjoy and share in Privee. I think this will work out well.

I believe that you would be subject to the corkage fees for bottles brought into Privee, but that would still be less expensive than paying for everyone else's liquor ... and a very nice gesture. But I would suggest if you do bring in a few bottles of wine for that evening that you check with the others as to their preferences. I don't mean that you would need to give six others the exact wine of their preference, but for example, I prefer red (although I will drink white) but only like dry wines. I probably would say something like "I prefer cabernet sauvignon or sauvignon blanc, but I'm sure whatever you provide will be delightful."

Again, if my hostess had provided several wines that weren't to my taste I would not have a problem buying something that I would prefer. Or bringing along my own. You are already providing them with a lovely evening.

Mura

2014%252520Oceania%252520Marina%252520Ship%252520Visit%252520%252528124%252529.jpg

There will be a corkage fee ($25 per bottle), but the OP will have the option of sending the bottles to the Cellar at any point after boarding the ship, and relax in the knowledge that it will be served beautifully and in the correct glasses in Privée , that the bottles will be stored under the appropriate temperatures and conditions, and that any wines which may be remaining will automatically be stored and made available to them, whenever and wherever they choose to call for it on the ship, without any further charges.

All in all, it's an effortless, elegant process.

I'd be tempted to end with a Cognac, but that's my particular weakness...

We bought some wines in Buenos Aires and Uruguay but didn't think about sending them to the ship cellar immediately. It would have been easier than keeping them in the cabin and bringing them to dinner ourselves. I like the assurance that wine will be at the correct temperature.

Always learn something new on cruise critic.

Mary

I believe that you would be subject to the corkage fees for bottles brought into Privee, but that would still be less expensive than paying for everyone else's liquor ... and a very nice gesture. But I would suggest if you do bring in a few bottles of wine for that evening that you check with the others as to their preferences. I don't mean that you would need to give six others the exact wine of their preference, but for example, I prefer red (although I will drink white) but only like dry wines. I probably would say something like "I prefer cabernet sauvignon or sauvignon blanc, but I'm sure whatever you provide will be delightful."

Again, if my hostess had provided several wines that weren't to my taste I would not have a problem buying something that I would prefer. Or bringing along my own. You are already providing them with a lovely evening.

Mura

Mura: Thank you. However, as I mentioned previously, I will be purchasing the bottles of wine before embarking on the ship and then extending the invitations during the cruise. Unfortunately, there will be no opportunity to inquire as to individual wine preferences. I will make a nice choice that will suit most.

StanandJim: Thanks for the tip. You are always so helpful.

Sorry I missed that you would be picking up the wine before boarding. I must have been assuming that you'd get them at some port before our evening.

I don't doubt that you'll have a great time.

Mura