Kettles

Dorset Cruiser

One of the things we love about our cruise is to go back to the cabin in the late evening and ring for tea. i like cranberry rashberry and hubby likes proper tea we order 2 pots of hot water and the tea. We get great enjoyment every evening waiting to see what arrives, having picked up spare tea bags earlier in the day it does not matter. Pop the bags in the hot insulated pot and lovely tea. By the way we just let the ice bucket get filled every day and replenish the water jug that we have had delivered with the tea, getting a new jug every few days.

But then we live on board as we do everywhere we go Adapting to the current circumstances we just like cruising and enjoy it all.

I look forward to being able to make tea with boiling water. Tea from room service has been disappointing. Vaguely hot water poured into a cup does not make a decent cup of tea. By the time it looks fit to drink it has cooled too much. On the QE2, room service tea arrived in a teapot and was ready to drink immediately.

I also hope for a teapot.

I agree about room service tea. The tepid water you get in the thermos just doesn't do it. Might as well use water from the bathroom tap.

The reason it was so good on Q2 was that there were pantries along the hallways, so your tea didn't have to travel the length of the ship to get to you. One of the things I did on my last voyage on her was to take a video as I walked down a hallway. Not so much for the picture, but for the collection of sounds, including the clinking of china as stewards put dishes away and made up tea trays.

One of the things we love about our cruise is to go back to the cabin in the late evening and ring for tea. i like cranberry rashberry and hubby likes proper tea we order 2 pots of hot water and the tea. We get great enjoyment every evening waiting to see what arrives, having picked up spare tea bags earlier in the day it does not matter. Pop the bags in the hot insulated pot and lovely tea. By the way we just let the ice bucket get filled every day and replenish the water jug that we have had delivered with the tea, getting a new jug every few days.

But then we live on board as we do everywhere we go Adapting to the current circumstances we just like cruising and enjoy it all.

To make a 'proper' cup of tea, you need boiling, not just hot, water. However, you can make instant coffee with hot water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree about room service tea. The tepid water you get in the thermos just doesn't do it. Might as well use water from the bathroom tap.

The reason it was so good on Q2 was that there were pantries along the hallways, so your tea didn't have to travel the length of the ship to get to you. One of the things I did on my last voyage on her was to take a video as I walked down a hallway. Not so much for the picture, but for the collection of sounds, including the clinking of china as stewards put dishes away and made up tea trays.

It didn't seem that long ago that on British ships - at least the ones with which we are familiar, Cunard, P&O and Union-Castle - the cabin steward assumed you would have a tray of tea and biscuits early in the morning. The first thing he would say upon meeting the passengers was: "What time would you like your tea in the mornings?" I'm sure you could have had coffee instead or not be disturbed.

I hope the kettles will operate from the British current and not the weak 110 v. we get in Canada and the U.S. On my trips to Britain I am always pleased with how fast the kettle boils:). (I have responded to a few e-mails and am still waiting for the kettle to boil as I write this.)

British kettles are 3kw, and as you say very rapid, the ship ones won't be anywhere near that powerful. I think they are likely to be similar to the P&O ones which are British 3pin plugs 230/40v. They are quite slow though.

David.

British kettles are 3kw, and as you say very rapid, the ship ones won't be anywhere near that powerful. I think they are likely to be similar to the P&O ones which are British 3pin plugs 230/40v. They are quite slow though.

David.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are twice as fast as what we get over here even if slower than in a hotel. I don't have a lot of gadgets but on Cunard I am able to recharge my razor and the batteries for my still and video cameras in the 230v plugs and they seem to charge about three times faster. Of course a kettle is going to need more power; perhaps I will time it just for fun.

• 8 months later...

Disappointed to read that kettles are still on the 'to do' list. We usually fill in the breakfast card for early morning tea but have a debate most nights as to the time we select. There is no knowing when you will wake up, particularly when jet lagged over seas. Just popping the kettle on to boil saves so much hassle with ordering room service.

Disappointed to read that kettles are still on the 'to do' list. We usually fill in the breakfast card for early morning tea but have a debate most nights as to the time we select. There is no knowing when you will wake up, particularly when jet lagged over seas. Just popping the kettle on to boil saves so much hassle with ordering room service.

The QM2 now has kettles in all cabins and I think the QV is due to get them in the refurb in May this year.

So if I am now allowed to take my own high-powered hair dryer and Cunard are going to provide in-cabin kettles in the near future, and there are UK style sockets in the cabins, then my little travel kettle might just be allowed. Think I might risk packing it in my suitcase - if it gets confiscated until the end of the cruise, I've lost nothing. Hate room service tea, it needs boiling water for a decent cuppa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Me too- my very old travel kettle has seen better days and I was tempted to buy a new one the other day but thought 'well I've already got one that works'. So I'm going to pack it when we go in May, if it gets confiscated I'm not even bothered about having it back, but if it gets past scrutiny...happy days :p

Sorry to hijack this thread but would I be able to take a small travel steamer on board.

We are joining the QM2 after a week on the road so our formal clothes will probably be quite creased! I don't think the irons in the laundry rooms will be suitable.

While I no longer have my formal gowns dry cleaned on board due to the change in dry-cleaning process, I have found that they do a fine job pressing clothes. :)