Kettles

Dorset Cruiser

NO. It is deemed as a fire hazard!

From the Cunard web site.

We try to discourage all potentially dangerous electrical items from coming on board.

The cabin electrical systems on board are not designed to take high current capacity items.

Cabin hair dryers are provided for the comfort of the guest, these are specially bought for the ships and are of lower current ratings and hence compatible with the ships electrical systems.

You can also find irons in our laundries on board and are free of charge.

Hang on a bit...

"No, tea and coffee is available from the bars and restaurants, or via 24 hour room service. Complimentary tea and coffee is available from the buffet restaurant and via the room service menu.

After Queen Mary 2 refurbishment in June 2016 tea & coffee making facilities will be available in your stateroom.

Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria will also offer this service after their refurbishment in 2017."

- copied from

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/tea_coffee

Edited by Salacia

Cunard seems to have changed their attitude towards hair dryers, at least when the the dryers are equipped with UK plugs.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/hairdryers_onboard

Q. Is a hair dryer in my cabin?

Yes, all cabins on board have a hair dryer.

The type of hair dryer in each cabin may vary slightly, (example shown below) however they are similar to 'travel' style hair dryers which operate around 1200 watts.

You are of course, welcome to bring and use your own hair dryer which can be plugged into a normal UK 3 pin plug socket in your cabin.

Most British lines have had a kettle in cabins for years, without as far as I am aware any problems.

Cunard has always taken the view that White Star Service included 24 hour room service, so there was no need for passengers to make diy drinks. It was viewed I guess as showing that they were that bit superior.

We Brits will be delighted, being able to make a proper cuppa rather than the apology for one we get from room service.

Any chance of a teapot as well?

David

Most British lines have had a kettle in cabins for years, without as far as I am aware any problems.

Cunard has always taken the view that White Star Service included 24 hour room service, so there was no need for passengers to make diy drinks. It was viewed I guess as showing that they were that bit superior.

We Brits will be delighted, being able to make a proper cuppa rather than the apology for one we get from room service.

Any chance of a teapot as well?

David

I look forward to being able to make tea with boiling water. Tea from room service has been disappointing. Vaguely hot water poured into a cup does not make a decent cup of tea. By the time it looks fit to drink it has cooled too much. On the QE2, room service tea arrived in a teapot and was ready to drink immediately.

I also hope for a teapot.

Edited by david,Mississauga

So if I am now allowed to take my own high-powered hair dryer and Cunard are going to provide in-cabin kettles in the near future, and there are UK style sockets in the cabins, then my little travel kettle might just be allowed. Think I might risk packing it in my suitcase - if it gets confiscated until the end of the cruise, I've lost nothing. Hate room service tea, it needs boiling water for a decent cuppa 😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Think you will find that passengers electricals will still (officially) need to be inspected before you can use them.

Why would you want to bring you're own kettle when one is provided.

David.

Think you will find that passengers electricals will still (officially) need to be inspected before you can use them.

Why would you want to bring you're own kettle when one is provided.

David.

A kettle isn't provided yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hang on a bit...

"No, tea and coffee is available from the bars and restaurants, or via 24 hour room service. Complimentary tea and coffee is available from the buffet restaurant and via the room service menu.

After Queen Mary 2 refurbishment in June 2016 tea & coffee making facilities will be available in your stateroom.

Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria will also offer this service after their refurbishment in 2017."

- copied from

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/tea_coffee

That is very interesting information. Thanks Salacia - will be on QM2 in 11 months so will be keen to see if there is a kettle. Some cruise lines seem to be adding a kettle in staterooms - there was one on Mariner of the Seas in Asia earlier this year, the first time I have seen one on RCI in our region. I do recollect P&O International having them as well - thought it was great.

:confused: It would appear that Cunard is in a lose-lose situation whether they provide kettles or not. Don't provide a kettle and those who want tea or coffee the minute they open their eyes find the facilities lacking. Provide a kettle and some say the ship is now on par with any second tier business hotel.

:confused: It would appear that Cunard is in a lose-lose situation whether they provide kettles or not. Don't provide a kettle and those who want tea or coffee the minute they open their eyes find the facilities lacking. Provide a kettle and some say the ship is now on par with any second tier business hotel.
Well said.

"How the mighty have fallen..."

"Hospitality Trays" are wasted on me. I don't drink tea (except on rare occasions such as in the Queens Room) or touch instant coffee.

I would imagine that any examples of such facilities in up-market hotels would consist of proper coffee machines and a full tea service.

I hope that ship-board "Hospitality Trays" are not like the "Bed and Breakfast" experience I've had (one chipped mug and a packet of stale biscuits).

A proper coffee machine and a full tea service would be most welcome. Anything less and I shall continue to use room-service or the Kings Court.

(I wonder if the regular clients of either hotel mentioned know how to operate a kettle?)

Thing is, it's not compulsory to use it. Cunard will give you the option, make a drink yourself or use room service or other outlets aboard. Same as the hair dryer, wash your own hair or go to the hairdresser.

What's not to like?

David.

The advantage of a kettle in the cabin when the cabin has two occupants, is that one person can quietly make a cup of tea without disturbing the other person if they are still sleeping. Calls to room service and subsequent door knocking for delivery would most likely disturb the other person.

Naturally, one assumes the kettles are the quiet variety without a whistle. ;)

Interesting to read kettles will be provided after the much needed refurb on QM2.

Cant imagine where they will put it as the dressing table is tiny and the phone is on it and cannot be moved. There is no other place to put a tray except the table. The cabins are very small with little storage except the wardrobe , we had a sheltered balcony.

We have just returned on the last leg of the world voyage from Dubai and used the room service for early morning coffee. The problem was we ordered it for 8 to 8.15 every day, it usually arrived between 7.30 and 7.45 when we were still asleep.

i like to have a coffee when i wake up not when room service wake me up.

Interesting to read kettles will be provided after the much needed refurb on QM2.

Cant imagine where they will put it as the dressing table is tiny and the phone is on it and cannot be moved. There is no other place to put a tray except the table.

They're moving the TVs to the wall across from the foot of the bed, which opens up the countertop above the mini fridge as well as a couple of US 120 volt outlets.

"How the mighty have fallen..."

"Hospitality Trays" are wasted on me. I don't drink tea (except on rare occasions such as in the Queens Room) or touch instant coffee.

I would imagine that any examples of such facilities in up-market hotels would consist of proper coffee machines and a full tea service.

A proper coffee machine and a full tea service would be most welcome. Anything less and I shall continue to use room-service or the Kings Court.

(I wonder if the regular clients of either hotel mentioned know how to operate a kettle?)

No, they consist of a kettle, a teapot, cups and sacucers, teaspoons, tea, coffee, milk and sugar in small pots. Like in any other hotel.Yes, the clients of the hotels would know how to work a kettle, only a snob would think that they couldn't

No, they consist of a kettle, a teapot, cups and sacucers, teaspoons, tea, coffee, milk and sugar in small pots. Like in any other hotel.Yes, the clients of the hotels would know how to work a kettle, only a snob would think that they couldn't

As is stared so often here, Well said.

David.