First time on Princess/First time to Alaska

So we are on the Coral 7/16-23, we should see the puppies?! How exciting!! Anyone who's done this...Any more details on this? Is it a day time thing whole at sea of something that they do on a port day?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They brought them in for about an hour...2 of them 8 weeks old. People lining up to hold for pictures. I was not thrilled to watch the pusppies handled by everybody for over an hour. They got exhausted.

They brought them in for about an hour...2 of them 8 weeks old. People lining up to hold for pictures. I was not thrilled to watch the pusppies handled by everybody for over an hour. They got exhausted.

This makes me a little nervous. I'm a huge animal lover, so would be excited to pet happy little puppies, but I don't want to see them stressed out. I'll have to think about whether or not I want to participate. Out of curiosity, what time of day were they aboard? Thanks for your info.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This makes me a little nervous. I'm a huge animal lover, so would be excited to pet happy little puppies, but I don't want to see them stressed out. I'll have to think about whether or not I want to participate. Out of curiosity, what time of day were they aboard? Thanks for your info.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Around 2-3 PM. My DH said they were down there; I went down about 3PM to see how they were doing with no intention of holding or petting. The handlers took them back about 10 minutes later. They looked very tired.

A lot of good information about the ports and activities.

The OP asked what to expect with Princess after experiences with Carnival and RCCL. I cannot speak for RCCL. However I have cruised on Carnival in the Caribbean. Princess won't have all of the deck games such as hairy chest contest. I have found the food on Carnival to have a little more spice to it than Princess. Princess seems to be a bit more calmer overall. The Princess ship décor is not as loud as that on Carnival years ago. I remember seeing the buffet on the Inspiration with the purple tubing in the ceiling. It looked like purple Pepto all through! I found the Princess theater has fewer obstructed views than the Carnival main theaters.

You should also look at the differences between AK and the other cruises. You will be packing warmer clothes - preferably layers. On a Caribbean cruise your suitcase is filled with shorts, t-shirts and swimwear. You'll have pants and long-sleeved shirts, most likely.

Take rain gear! We had perfect weather for all ports but one on our last trip to AK. However we were prepared. We're big into backpacking so we have the really light-weight rain pants and jackets that fit over layers. We took them in a small pack for every port just in case the weather changes.

Take binoculars in addition to your camera with a good zoom. We had a balcony cabin on the starboard side for a northbound cruise. Quite often you could see the coast. Looking through the binoculars we found what looked like ribbons on the shore were actually magnificent waterfalls along the hillside.