Madrid to Lisbon

Hello, looking at taking a Med Cruise which ends in Barcelona. Getting to Madrid appears easy as there is a high speed train we can hop on. Our plan is to stay a couple of days in Madrid and then hopefully end our vacation in Lisbon. The only train seems to be an overnight train from Madrid to Lisbon, I have read mixed reviews on it and it seems to be a longer trip than the distance indicates. Not sure I want to have a sleepless night on a train the last few days of our vacation. Any other ways to get to Lisbon I might have missed? I guess a rental car could be an option.

Thanks.

I have never been on an overnight Trenhotel, but a colleague of mine who has high standards loves them. They are apparently quite expensive.

A car hire would also be expensive if you are not driving back to Madrid (or at least back to Spain).

I think that the cheapest most 'usual' wAy of going between the two capital cities by public transport would be to fly. However the question about how to go by rail may be answered by the folks on Trip Advisor - post in the train travel section. I have found them to be very knowledgeAble.

Trenhotel is fine. Try looking at RENFE, fare will appear anytime between 60 and 90 days. Depending on number of passengers entered different sleeping options will be displayed Cama Turista - (4 person cabin) or Cama Preferen (2 person). Cost is may be high especially in 2 person first class but then 1 hotel night is saved. I wouldn't bother with car as some companies will not rent with Portugal drop off and others will charge quite a bit. Also some o/w flights are cheap if bought in advance; just check on Expedia (for TAP, Air Europa, Iberia) or Easyjet on their website. Its a short 1 hr flight so door to door (hotel to hotel) is around 4 hrs

Edited by hkto

Having looked at this route in the past I realize your frustration. One would think a train between the capitals of two bordering countries would be a no-brainier but for some reason this one just does not go. The best method here is one of the many low cost air carriers. Just be aware that your price may be inflated above their lowest by add ons for luggage etc