Anthem -- So what do you really think?

Veteran cruisers considering Anthem. With member reviews at 49% approval rating, past history and complicated dining/entertainment reservations, is it really worth it? Thanks for your comments

I guess it depends on what type of deal you're getting, and what your past experience is and what your expectations of cruising are in general. We just cruised Anthem on April 30 to Bermuda. The ship itself is beautiful. Very large, but doesn't feel large inside. Many of the common areas don't seem huge once inside. Yet, the ship itself didn't really feel crowded. (with the exception of the buffet on some days)

As far as food goes, I'd say, overall, average. We had some good meals, and we had some not so good. I've had better food on other cruises. Dynamic dining is a bit quirky, but I really enjoyed being able to change my restaurant / dining time on the fly. For instance, we really liked Silk, and Chic, not so much. So we canceled our second reservation for Chic and booked Silk.

Entertainment = Standard cruise fare.

Activities - depends on what you like. Kids/teens/young at heart would love it. Seaplex with bumper cars, basketball, soccer, Xbox room, pingpong etc. FloRider, iFly and Northstar are all cool as well.

We liked the ship and have booked a 9-day next year on Anthem. Overall, the biggest disappointment was the food. But there are some very good restaurants and menu items. Now that we know what is good where, we'll just be more selective.

Although it's a magnificent looking ship it just has no soul.It only comes alive when they have those crappy $10 sales on in the evenings.Grab yourself a drink in the bionic bar (if it's working) and watch the frenzy unfold below you.Priceless.People climbing over each other for cheap Prc tat.

There are some good photo reviews on here so maybe do a search for them and see what they say. In my experience, people are more apt to post about negative things thus giving a more unfavorable rating. Food is always subjective - as long as I can get a steak and potatoes, I'm fine but others expect top notch quality. I sailed on one of Carnival's smallest ships last year and while I did miss the perks of a newer, bigger ship, the company was great and it was a vacation so what's there to complain about? :D

We sailed May 5 - May 14 and had a great experience. No problems at all.

Totally enjoyed the activities on the ship. Cabin attendant was very nice and all the staff that we encountered were pleasant and accommodating. We had no problem with dining since we chose classic and rotated to the 4 restaurants with the same wait staff.

Edited by trvlmil

If you want a traditional cruise experience this is not the ship for you. If you want something different, lots of variety in food and entertainment, plenty of activities and fun things to do day and night, this is the cruise for you. I would add that this ship has the best swimming pool/hot tub situation I've ever encountered on a cruise. It's near perfect!

I am writing my post-cruise review which outlines my experience of the ship, the service and the ports - http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2355182.

At the end of the day, the ship is what you make of it. I got bored and confused very quickly on the ship. I will probably sail with her again, but not in a hurry. Probably do the Oasis class ship again, and maybe the smaller ships over the Anthem. The ship isn't bad, just lacks the umph that I was looking for.

I cruise mostly with Celebrity. Sailed on Anthem for 10 days in April.

Ship is beautiful, but it does not feel like a ship - I didn't like that.

Food - just OK, service was hit or miss.

Specialty restaurants were very good - most memorable was Wonderland.

Entertainment - some good - some not.

Cabins are very nice.

Would I go again?- maybe, but on the short cruise, since now I know how to make the best of it. But I don't think it worth overpaying for Anthem.

We loved the Anthem when we sailed on her last September for 13 nights from Southampton. We are sailing on her again on 28th May for a 5 nighter to Bermuda.

We had Classic 2 for our dinning. No issues. Entertainment was also very good. Looking forward in going back on the Anthem in 12 days.:)

Steven.

Last year we were booked on Quantum and read a lot of negative review that gave me some cause for concern. Ours was a cruise in early January with family and i was worried it would be a bad experience b/c of what I read. It turned out to be one of our most favorite cruises out of many! The ship is amazing and the options are fantastic. They were still working out the new concept of dynamic dining and would bend over backward for anyone having a problem with their reservation (even sending them to specialty restaurants to appease the complainers and that didn't make them happy either). I really believe if you want to complain about something you will find something. We had a wonderful time and this June, we are going on Anthem and cannot wait!

I have learned NOT to listen to the complainers - they like to complain and I love to enjoy life so - to each his own!

Swiss

Here's the thread with my very detailed comments (by subject) and photos from our TA on Anthem:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2277588

Would we sail on her again? We asked ourselves that at the end of the thread (months ago), and actually just the other day. We would, but probably only if we could swing a Spa JS again; the food in the included venues was just not that good and we'd want the dinner option of Coastal Kitchen.

She really is a stunningly beautiful ship (but I wish there weren't such a "disconnect" from the water).

Here's the thread with my very detailed

She really is a stunningly beautiful ship (but I wish there weren't such a "disconnect" from the water).

I am glad that I am not alone who felt that nothing on Anthem give you the feel of the ship. None of the designs are remotely nautical. She looks and feels like hotel with shopping mall inside.

Veteran cruisers considering Anthem. With member reviews at 49% approval rating, past history and complicated dining/entertainment reservations, is it really worth it? Thanks for your comments
YES!....Did a 12 day in April, loved the ship, the suite, the crew, had a fantastic cruise, have two more booked on her.....K.O.:)

We loved it, and booked it again.

Interesting note- we are doing on of the New England/Canada cruises, and the Anthem price for a 9 night is almost identical to a Brilliance out of Boston- doing the same itinerary (including Boston).

So if you want to see the North East- Anthem is pretty cheap (relatively speaking).

For Diamond plus

Are Drinks served during lunch Time for Diamond plus and above like on the oasis class?

Where Is the drinking hour in the evening for Diamond plus members?

No, and that doesn't happen on oasis class ships any more, either.

5 - 8:30.

I am glad that I am not alone who felt that nothing on Anthem give you the feel of the ship. None of the designs are remotely nautical. She looks and feels like hotel with shopping mall inside.

Ye nailed it there

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Been on her 3 times, totalling 23 days, so far, with 3 more booked this year(19 days). My favorite ship of all I've sailed on.

Never felt crowded, except at the above mentioned $10 sale, which we avoid like the plague. Food was good, love the cabins, great crew, lots of things to do.

Entertainment = Standard cruise fare.

If there is one thing that entertainment is NOT, it is " standard cruise fare." :eek:

I cruise mostly with Celebrity. Sailed on Anthem for 10 days in April.

Ship is beautiful, but it does not feel like a ship - I didn't like that.

That is funny, because she is modeled after Solstice class!!!!