Escape Review May 7 - 14 - Meh (But Maybe That's Our Fault.)

CruzinMel

Love your review!!! Can you please tell me how you go to Josh Van Dyke? Trying to figure out the best way to get there on our July 2nd cruise. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. Renee'

We booked the trip as a Norwegian Excursion, so it was easy - we met the Rebel Yell (catamaran) at the dock - there was a short walk down the pier and a short wait, but it was not bad at all.

Thank you. Enjoyed reading your review very much.

You stated that the Haven pool was more crowded than you liked. Did it remain so throughout your cruise? Did you ever go in the pool?

Did you ever go to the Haven Restaurant for Breakfast or Lunch?

HI Mafig- not sure if you're still around, but here's an answer fwiw - the pool was small, so it didn't take much to get crowded - maybe 4 people made it crowded. I'd probably have enjoyed hanging out around the pool being social, but I was cruising with someone who doesn't like the sun when there's a perfectly good bar with a tv nearby (DH) and someone who rarely left the cabin (Mom), and if I'm solo, I'm reading and I don't want a lot of noise. There were groups of folks who spent a lot of time pool-side, and it seemed like a convivial atmosphere. I went in the pool once, when I got back from being hot in St. Thomas, and it was fine - I'm not a pool person.

The Haven sundeck above the pool but still inside the ship was a very nice compromise, if you were looking for sun with a more peaceful atmosphere. The outside sundeck was also nice, if you were ok with constant wind. It was one of the places I wish I'd went when the ship was docked.

We ate in the Haven restaurant for one of each meal times - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Food was delicious, service was spotty, and the pacing of the meal was a bit slower than I wanted. Haven room service was equally delicious.

Not sure if you're still around, but I found your review while looking for Escape reviews. I just wanted to say I applaud you for writing such a painfully honest review--I think we've all been there, or at least I have; the vacation that just refuses to be a vacation. A lot of times it does come down to the actual physical stress of travel (even in folks younger than your Mom). And jeez, I could really sympathize with your desire to get out and do SOMETHING, and I felt bad that you didn't feel comfortable going to see the shows on your own.

I also appreciate your perspective on the Haven.

It sounds like your cruise was just one of those trips that wasn't going to work out, or at least never really achieve "liftoff". The stress of travel + unfamiliar environment + elevated expectations + lingering "real life" concerns (in your case, your father's passing) can tank the best of trips. (If there are folks out there who have never had one of these, I envy them.)

(This is by no means meant to negate your concerns about the service and food problems you mentioned. I just know exactly what you were feeling as you described it, because I've had trips like that--and I also partially blamed myself and did the woulda shoulda coulda after the fact. My heart goes out to you.)

Adora - not sure if you are around to read this, but I wanted to tell you - absolutely. You were right on point, and I thank you for your words and your understanding!

Hi there! Thank you for your review, we were on in April and really had a great time, but we didn't have a lot of stuff to deal with either[emoji4] I wanted to know if you ever made it to the district brewhouse and what you thought of it? The atmosphere and the people we met there really made our cruise..loved Beau too! We actually made such good friends with one couple that when we went to Florida a month later drove to their home and hung out and had lunch! I think unexpected friends make cruising so much fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums