Escape Review May 7 - 14 - Meh (But Maybe That's Our Fault.)

CruzinMel

"We love the kids better than chocolate or Chinese food",

Great line! Made me laugh out loud at a seminar and others turned and stared at me.:o Oh well.:)

Great review from an interesting perspective. Thanks so much.

Dan

Wonderful review so far! Comes at the perfect time for me as I am thinking about whether my 70 year old mom would enjoy a 2 bedroom suite with us...like your mom she is not too spry....I am anxious to hear how the rest of your cruise went! :) By the way- the charges you saw were likely taxes for the drinks you got in Miami....NCL charges taxes on the drinks for FL. :)

Branko and Marc, his partner in mixology, became one of the high points of the cruise for us. Branko is from Serbia, with a slow smile, a dry, ready wit and a calm, unruffled manner. Marc is from South Africa and is more of a live wire act, always chatting and bringing the fun. I don't know when they sleep - they are always at the bar working, although they tag team out for long breaks and someone else opens the bar in the morning. I quit calling them bartenders after the first day - they are mixologists. Your average bartender doesn't make his own blackberry liqueur, or help a peer work on creating a new drink for a beverage competition. They take their work seriously, but they have fun, too.

I had big fun playing "Stump the Mixologist." Basically, I would sashay up to the bar, describe my state of mind or mood, and demand a drink to match. Marc and Branko never let me down. I don't know half of what I drank, although they turned me on to a Gin Old Fashioned (by Branko - I hate gin, but I loved that - don't let anyone make you one but him.) I also drank Adult Lemonade, something that tasted like cheesecake, some icy blackberry concoction of Marc's that came with a metal straw, a champagne something, things that tasted better than the Rebellious Fish (it became the Envious Fish in my mind) and on one occasion in which I advised Marc that I had a headache but didn't want to take aspirin and what could he do for me . . . I don't know what it was called, but it fixed my headache right up and tasted divine.

The Haven really has the Best Bar Ever, and its patrons and mixologists provided some of the best times I had on the cruise.

My husband and I were on the sailing right before yours (April 30 - May 7th) and we were also in the Haven. I quoted the above only because I could have almost written that word for word! Marc and Branko were the best part of our cruise..(and Food Republic). We usually opted to spend our nights at the Haven bar over any of the parties out on deck or in other parts of the ship. We are also not big drinkers - we drink mostly wine. But thanks to Branko, I am now pretty much obsessed with Smokey Old Fashioneds. I just don't think any other bartender, or shall I say, mixologist, will be able to make it the same. At one point, I mentioned to Marc that I wanted to try Fireball as I had never tried it before and was curious. And he pretty much told me I could not drink that swill. lol. .He made me his own version of fireball with "real" whiskey. I don't know what was in it, but it was amazing. :)

My husband is a non drinker and I am a special occasion drinker, like New Years, my birthday, our anniversary, and the work Xmas party where you have to have that one drink so everyone stops asking if I am having a good time...basically I don't really drink.

We are staying in the haven and have the drink package and we did not pay the fee/charge whatever it is. I only drink fruity frufru drinks because I don't like the taste of alcohol, and the only ones I have had are amaretto sours and strawberry daiquiris. I don't like wine. I have had champagne and I don't see the allure.

Anyway, now I am curious to see if the haven bar staff can find other drinks I might like that are fun and I can add to my very short list of drinks I like and can drink socially...so I do not get word looks at parties or such.

Since I am pretty much a non drinker, When it comes to social engagements I have a choice...drink something or people will think I am in a 12 step program!

I have no plans on getting drunk, just excited to try something new, and not worry if I do not like it.

I love your review! Excited to read more!

Marc was amazing in the Haven bar! The only bartender I've ever seen create drinks for me using an eye dropper and bright colored vials of who knows what. He looked like a scientist at times. Such good drinks!!

We will be in 18104 September 3. There will be 6 of us in that 2 room family suite. Hubby and I, our 3 kids (15, 13 &9) and my 85 yr old mother. I was so excited to read your review. And I have questions about that specific cabin. What was the noise like from the deck above? How close to the haven pool and haven bar/restaurant? Can you make it be 9/3 already????

Agree 100% about Marc and Branko. I've cruised three times with them and watching them in action was always a treat. They both go on vacation at the same time and Escape's Haven bar will be back to just being a place to get a standard cocktail versus one of their magical concoctions!

Tracy

Your writing style is excellent! It is good to see different perspectives within the same sailing. I don't have to say that we were not impressed with Cagney's either, those oysters....

Can't wait to see how your cruise evolves. I have a feeling that at one point you crossed our very loud group :D

Marc was amazing in the Haven bar! The only bartender I've ever seen create drinks for me using an eye dropper and bright colored vials of who knows what. He looked like a scientist at times. Such good drinks!!

Craft cocktail bars will dispense bitters, absinthe/Herbsaint/Pernod via eye droppers as a little goes a long way. It adds depth and dimension to a cocktail and the fact they do this indicates they are serious Mixologists. Very good to hear!!

Funny you mentioned Olympic Training. Because DH and I have been training for our cruise. We don't usually drink much at all and go weeks with no alcohol. My 21-30 YO self would be so disappointed.

We have been trying to have a few drinks a week to train for our cruise. That's what we call it. We look at each other and say "I'm Training"

DD who trains for water polo just rolls her eyes. Its not called working out its called "training".

I am looking forward to experiencing the mixologists. When we booked I was trying to decide between a aft or 2 bed and the bar was one thing that swung me to being in the Haven. To grab a drink easily before heading out or back to our room.

Diane - you gotta love those gentlemen! We have 4 children between us, and managed to take all 4 on a cruise on the Sky, for my 40th birthday. I loved cruising with them, but they are so involved in activities that getting everybody together even for a weekend is nearly impossible. Sigh....too bad for them! :)

Branko made our trip on the Gem in March one to remember. He was a server then, but a bartender at home he said.

Branko told us about different lines he worked on at different times, and he had some interesting perspectives. He was a very interesting man!

My husband and I were on the sailing right before yours (April 30 - May 7th) and we were also in the Haven. I quoted the above only because I could have almost written that word for word! Marc and Branko were the best part of our cruise..(and Food Republic). We usually opted to spend our nights at the Haven bar over any of the parties out on deck or in other parts of the ship. We are also not big drinkers - we drink mostly wine. But thanks to Branko, I am now pretty much obsessed with Smokey Old Fashioneds. I just don't think any other bartender, or shall I say, mixologist, will be able to make it the same. At one point, I mentioned to Marc that I wanted to try Fireball as I had never tried it before and was curious. And he pretty much told me I could not drink that swill. lol. .He made me his own version of fireball with "real" whiskey. I don't know what was in it, but it was amazing. :)

That is them EXACTLY! I watched Branko make the Smoky Old Fashioned, and it was fascinating - we took turns passing the beaker around and smelling the smoke. So cool, to see all the different things you can do - they really are artists.

Agree 100% about Marc and Branko. I've cruised three times with them and watching them in action was always a treat. They both go on vacation at the same time and Escape's Haven bar will be back to just being a place to get a standard cocktail versus one of their magical concoctions!

Tracy

I like that - "magical concoctions"..lol.. That is exactly what their drinks are! I don't know what kind of wizardry they had going on and most of the time I had no idea what I was drinking. They prepared it. I drank it. Good times! :)

I am so glad to see you reading this review - yours was the one I read before my cruise that really stuck with me!! (And the first place I read about Marc and Branko and Rexson -he was our butler, too, and was amazing!)

Y'all go read ljr's review, too, if you'd like to get another perspective on Escape - hers is really good and helped me greatly.

Gosh, I wish them a nice well deserved holiday but I will be bummed now if they are still on vacation for our 8/20 cruise. I had planned on making the Haven Bar a mini HQ anyways but didn't realize the depth of the talent pool there until reading these threads. :( Gerry

Tracy

Edited by buckeye rob

Craft cocktail bars will dispense bitters, absinthe/Herbsaint/Pernod via eye droppers as a little goes a long way. It adds depth and dimension to a cocktail and the fact they do this indicates they are serious Mixologists. Very good to hear!!

I found it fascinating as well as delicious! :)

I am so glad to see you reading this review - yours was the one I read before my cruise that really stuck with me!! (And the first place I read about Marc and Branko and Rexson -he was our butler, too, and was amazing!)

Y'all go read ljr's review, too, if you'd like to get another perspective on Escape - hers is really good and helped me greatly.

I'm loving your review and it's bringing back great memories!!! Glad my review was helpful!! :)

My husband is a non drinker and I am a special occasion drinker, like New Years, my birthday, our anniversary, and the work Xmas party where you have to have that one drink so everyone stops asking if I am having a good time...basically I don't really drink.

We are staying in the haven and have the drink package and we did not pay the fee/charge whatever it is. I only drink fruity frufru drinks because I don't like the taste of alcohol, and the only ones I have had are amaretto sours and strawberry daiquiris. I don't like wine. I have had champagne and I don't see the allure.

Anyway, now I am curious to see if the haven bar staff can find other drinks I might like that are fun and I can add to my very short list of drinks I like and can drink socially...so I do not get word looks at parties or such.

Since I am pretty much a non drinker, When it comes to social engagements I have a choice...drink something or people will think I am in a 12 step program!

I have no plans on getting drunk, just excited to try something new, and not worry if I do not like it.

I love your review! Excited to read more!

Pam - this is a frosty beverage that Marc made me one day when I said I wanted something fruity, refreshing and cold and I didn't want to taste alcohol. He crushed his own ice with a big black mallet thing, used his own blackberry liqueur and . . . it was DIVINE. And I have no clue what it was called . . . . but I wish I had one now.

963026865_Marcsconcoction.jpg.9310590a32fb1280d5bb5401311ce762.jpg

Edited by CruzinMel

Pam - this is a frosty beverage that Marc made me one day when I said I wanted something frost and cold and I didn't want to taste alcohol. It was DIVINE. And I have no clue what it was called . . . .

Wow awesome! I hope they are on board in oct...anyone know if they will be?

We will be in 18104 September 3. There will be 6 of us in that 2 room family suite. Hubby and I, our 3 kids (15, 13 &9) and my 85 yr old mother. I was so excited to read your review. And I have questions about that specific cabin. What was the noise like from the deck above? How close to the haven pool and haven bar/restaurant? Can you make it be 9/3 already????

Hi there! Unfortunately, I am not Magic Marc (one of his nicknames) and I can't make time fly. . . but it will be here before you know it! (Just make sure you book your specialty restaurants THE DAY they open up online, or THE MINUTE you get on the ship. I'm not kidding. We wanted to book Teppanyaki but waited until sometime after the second day, and not even Adrian the Bobb Concierge could make the reservation happen any sooner than 9:30.)

The deck noise above the master bed was from scraping chairs on the pool deck and somebody running back and forth, back and forth. Or possibly walking really heavy, but they must have had the tread of Frankenstein. The noise that Mom heard was (according to her) engine noise when we went into port. She sleeps like a brick, so I'm surprised she heard anything.

I chose deck 18 because it was on the same deck as the restaurant. Our cabin was the farthest forward, but it was really a very short walk to the restaurant. In retrospect, though, I'd have chosen deck 17 because every time we left the Haven or went to the pool or the sun deck, we were walking upstairs or downstairs or taking the elevator. It was not enough of a hassle to matter much at all, - just something that I'd think about next time. Also, on deck 17, we would have had cabins above and below, and so, less noise.