Solstice Alaska Excursions

Pliny the Elder

Hello to all!

My wife and I are looking forward to our Alaska Cruise on the Solstice June 24.

This is my first cruise and we have a bit of a budget for excursions, but not enough $ for big ticket trips at each stop.

I am making myself crazy trying to decide the best plan for the times we dock.

Would some of you be willing to help with a few questions?

Which port has the most opportunity to enjoy extended time on shore without an excursion?

If you could only do one excursion, what would it be?

Will other excursions be offered on board, or will it be exactly what we see on the Celebrity website?

Thanks!

If I could only do 1, it would be a float-plane trip in Ketchikan with Michelle and Island Wings.

Probably the longest for your money would be the Railroad in Skagway.

Here's a couple of videos I did exactly 1 year ago today.

Without knowing your itinerary and times in port, it is difficult to answer your questions.

In general, I do not recommend shore excursions purchased from the ship. They're overcrowded and overpriced.

Highly concur with the recommendation of Island Wings flight seeing. Ketchikan is also highly walkable and you can do it on your own. Take the funicular up the hill and walk back down Married Man's Trail to Creek Street.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

If I could only do 1, it would be a float-plane trip in Ketchikan with Michelle and Island Wings.

Probably the longest for your money would be the Railroad in Skagway.

Here's a couple of videos I did exactly 1 year ago today.

Yes yes and yes! We flew with Michelle 2 yrs ago, it is a must for Alaska. We're doing the White Pass this year and the catamaran to Sawyer Glacier from the ship. Just charge it and pay it out. Its worth it...how often will you go to Alaska?

We rented a car in two of our ports of our only alaska cruise(we rent cars on almost every cruise we take).

very cost effective and obviously could control our day 100%.

Look at the alaska port threads here on cc for port advice.

We rented a car in two of our ports of our only alaska cruise(we rent cars on almost every cruise we take).

very cost effective and obviously could control our day 100%.

Look at the alaska port threads here on cc for port advice.

I agree with dodger1964

leaving on the 10th of June

after doing extensive research on the boards

I rented a car in Ketchikan with alaska car rental

after viewing all the excursions I felt I can do that with half the money I would have paid a tour guide . alos I loked at the map of ketchikan and it is hard to get lost.

we going to hike at least 3 trails and visit the Totem Bight State Park

you are probably arriving on sunday and have 7 hours in port you will have plenty of time

In skagway I rented from Avis will get the Murray guide and travel along the same roads up to Emerald Lake half the price of the train or combo

IN Juneau we are doing the Tracey Arm excursion from the ship after reading all the positive comments and if you look at what a fellow traveller

is reporting in the Live thread.

My advice right now is to book a vehicle in skagway and Ketchikan it will cost you nothing and if you want to cancel you can and if it is just the two of you you can rent a compact car

JMO

Hello to all!

My wife and I are looking forward to our Alaska Cruise on the Solstice June 24.

This is my first cruise and we have a bit of a budget for excursions, but not enough $ for big ticket trips at each stop.

I am making myself crazy trying to decide the best plan for the times we dock.

Would some of you be willing to help with a few questions?

Which port has the most opportunity to enjoy extended time on shore without an excursion?

If you could only do one excursion, what would it be?

Will other excursions be offered on board, or will it be exactly what we see on the Celebrity website?

Thanks!

Hey.

Just saw that you posted to our roll call! My husband and I are also celebrating our 25th (6/29) on this cruise.

We have 4 people booked with Michelle & Island Wings in Ketchikan on 6/26. The only availability she had was a 1 hour flight from 2-3pm. However, the price is right at $179/person. She may have a couple more seats available if you're interested.

Michelle with Island Wings may be very difficult to book at this late date but always worth a try. We booked her in Nov. of 2014 for our May 2016 tour.

One thing to remember is that many of the "fly" type excursions often get canceled for weather issues. So it is never good to have your heart set on those.

You don't have to spend big on shore excursions to have a great time in Alaska.

I agree that Michelle and Island Wings are the best, but if you want a less expensive Ketchikan activity, check out Tracy Wolf and Wild Wolf Tours. A trip with Tracy (a local native - in both senses) and a walk around town on your own would also be a fun day. (Check out Tracy on TripAdvisor.com.)

If you're going during good whale viewing times, please consider a Juneau whale watch. And by all means, attend a few of the naturalist talks on board Solstice. They're very helpful. And viewing the orca pods outside Victoria isn't a big ticket item either. That's on our to-do list.

There's not much to Skagway, so the train is a good option. I'm not a train person, but my husband loved it. (And I want full credit for being a good sport.)

Relax and accept that it would take a long stay to enjoy everything Alaska has to offer. We've booked our fifth trip and we know that it won't be our last.

Hey.

Just saw that you posted to our roll call! My husband and I are also celebrating our 25th (6/29) on this cruise.

We have 4 people booked with Michelle & Island Wings in Ketchikan on 6/26. The only availability she had was a 1 hour flight from 2-3pm. However, the price is right at $179/person. She may have a couple more seats available if you're interested.

I'll check on this tomorrow. I'm assuming you booked directly with Island Wings? Thanks so much! BTW...our anniversary is 06/01. Had to wait for school to get out...

Yes, they respond quickly and are very helpful!

That is the trip we took last year, the 1 hr from 2-3 and it was great. Your flying the whole time, without landing on the lake . We had plenty of time making it back to the ship before departure.

Yes yes and yes! We flew with Michelle 2 yrs ago, it is a must for Alaska. We're doing the White Pass this year and the catamaran to Sawyer Glacier from the ship. Just charge it and pay it out. Its worth it...how often will you go to Alaska?

Well I've been three times so far and wouldn't be adverse to another trip. It's so gorgeous up there.

That is the trip we took last year, the 1 hr from 2-3 and it was great. Your flying the whole time, without landing on the lake . We had plenty of time making it back to the ship before departure.

Thanks for posting this! I was a bit concerned about the timing of getting back to the ship. I wanted a longer flight with a lake landing, but we were happy there was still something available. I'm assuming that the final landing is on the lake, right?

Thanks for posting this! I was a bit concerned about the timing of getting back to the ship. I wanted a longer flight with a lake landing, but we were happy there was still something available. I'm assuming that the final landing is on the lake, right?

I wouldn't call it the lake. It is Ketchikan Harbor, we actually landed right next to the Solstice. Their dock is right next to the cruise pier.