Why Majesty may have changed my mind about RCI

And once you put CD Marc Walker on her soon, she will have one of the best CD out there(and the best I have seen in 9 cruises)

Marc signed on Majesty during wet dock. He will be in a part time status with RCI as he is also working at Home Shopping Network (HSN) as a host!

Marc signed on Majesty during wet dock. He will be in a part time status with RCI as he is also working at Home Shopping Network (HSN) as a host!

Interesting, never knew about the HSN gig. I wonder if he's able to stay at home more for that job.

Kelly Goodrich is the piano person on mj he will be there til august 5 then hes going to adventure of the seas outta san juan hes great him and his wife are so nice they were monarch when it was in pc

Just curious: In what ways is John the best HD?

John is frequently seen around the ship and in the Diamond and Concierge Lounges. He likes to talk to the passengers about what they are liking, not liking, whether the crew members are meeting expectations, etc. We talked to him frequently in the lounges and he genuinely cares about the guest experience.

Also, in regards to Independence... friends of mine were on her earlier in the Spring and were completely underwhelmed. Generally poor service, poor food and crew members that were uninformed and uninterested.

Another reason for your positive reaction to Majesty is that she has one of the best Hotel Directors in the fleet right now. It would not surprise me if Majesty goes right to the top of the fleet rankings within a couple of months.

Just wondering how you learn which Hotel Director is good? Are you able to get the name of the hotel director before sail date?

I do know we had a wonderful CD on Sapphire Princess, David Cole. I'd love to take another cruise with him again. We took a similar itinerary last year w/ another CD, and the onboard activities weren't nearly as good.

Had something similar on Serenade. Our CD had no enrichment lectures, but from the reviews Topi, the CD after us (that we had on Legend) did his usual good job w/ cruise activities.

Is there a way to learn the CD and Hotel Director before the time of booking (15-18 months out)?

What does Hotel Director do?

Rooms and food service?

The HD is the top non-marine officer on the ship, and has all the 3 and 3.5 stripe officers reporting, such as:

Food & Beverage

Guest Services

Executive Housekeeper

Marketing & Revenue

Human Resources

I know I'm forgetting some.

Just wondering how you learn which Hotel Director is good? Are you able to get the name of the hotel director before sail date?...

Some Hotel Directors are on FB and will reveal their schedule, however I don't think they can reliably know their schedule 18 months out. Too many things can change.

Also, in regards to Independence... friends of mine were on her earlier in the Spring and were completely underwhelmed. Generally poor service, poor food and crew members that were uninformed and uninterested.

We were on IOS in October and LOVED our experience. The crew, the food, the venues...all were wonderful! With that being said, many crew advised they were leaving. Some were going to other lines and some other ships. Many who advised they were leaving were going to be doing so in January and February. Everyone who told us they were leaving said it was because they did NOT want to work on her once she crossed the Atlantic.

I would imagine it takes a while for the crew to work well together if there is a large turnover.

The HD is the top non-marine officer on the ship, and has all the 3 and 3.5 stripe officers reporting, such as:

Food & Beverage

Guest Services

Executive Housekeeper

Marketing & Revenue

Human Resources

I know I'm forgetting some.

Cruise Director

All those that work for those folks in their departments work for the Hotel Director. It is the number 2 position on a cruise ship. The senior person is the Master of the Vessel aka the Captain. The Hotel Director reports to the Captain who heads up all the officers and staff on the Marine side as well as Hotel Operations. Both functions have a great deal of responsibility for guest safety, security and overall cruise enjoyment!

Cruise Director

All those that work for those folks in their departments work for the Hotel Director. It is the number 2 position on a cruise ship. The senior person is the Master of the Vessel aka the Captain. The Hotel Director reports to the Captain who heads up all the officers and staff on the Marine side as well as Hotel Operations. Both functions have a great deal of responsibility for guest safety, security and overall cruise enjoyment!

Thank-you.

Do you know if the Cruise Director is considered a 3 striper?

Thank-you.

Do you know if the Cruise Director is considered a 3 striper?

Although I've seen Marc and Drew in uniform I don't recall how many stripes. Probably same ranking as Guest Relations Manager. The CD has additional responsibility as the Emergency management person (don't recall the specific job title). The CD has a staff of 60 people on Enchantment including a department Admin person. They (CDs) attend special classes in Miami to stay current and get certified on all International requirements.

Edited by Scotty G

Although I've seen Marc and Drew in uniform I don't recall how many stripes. Probably same ranking as Guest Relations Manager. The CD has additional responsibility as the Emergency management person (don't recall the specific job title). The CD has a staff of 60 people on Enchantment including a department Admin person. They (CDs) attend special classes in Miami to stay current and get certified on all International requirements.

Never knew that, thanks.

Never knew that, thanks.

My GD returned this morning with Linda off Majesty. Voom appears to have been on most of the time and she was Skyping with her boyfriend. Linda says video and voice quality was excellent.

No idea about plan/costs as she used our C&A D+ free coupon.

Edited by Scotty G

We're back home :( I haven't started u packing yet; that can wait until tomorrow.

What a fun 4 day getaway on Majesty. I guess third time was the charm for us with Royal. I can now say that I would be happy to sail them again and we certainly wouldn't hesitate to take another trip on Majesty.

I've finished uploading my photos and will start my trip report tonight.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about her redo and I will try to answer them as I go along.

This is my 3rd RCI cruise and, honestly, after IofS in March, and swearing we would never cruise RCI again after this one, this little rusty ship may have changed my mind.

Granted, it's only day 2 and there have been some bumps in the sea, but the crew have been amazing. I've been sitting on the pool deck for the last 6 hours and I haven't waited long for a drink and the live band has been fantastic. Dinner last night was the best we've experienced in a RCI dining room and the mood is really relaxing, exactly what I needed this cruise.

I didn't even bat an eye when a carnival ship passed us by. Maybe I'm just the type to live the older smaller ships on any line, but so far, newly refurbished Majesty is doing ok.

We were on this sailing as well and I wholeheartedly agree with you! Having previously sailed on the Disney Dream several years ago as my most recent cruise experience, I was so nervous about sailing this older ship and being on the first sailing out of dry dock. I quickly learned that my fears were unwarranted. The Majesty was clean, most everything was in working order, the service was impeccable, the entertainment was pretty good, and the food in the MDR was the best I've had on a cruise ship. Not to mention, it was the smoothest sailing I've ever had. I could barely feel any motion!!! We were so pleased with our cruise vacation on the Majesty!