Review of the 5/7/2016 Western Magic Cruise

richfret

This was cruise 19 for me and all my cruises have been with Carnival so you can see I am a Carnival fan. I was traveling alone and had booked Cabin 2474 (Window cabin) at the very rear (Aft) of Deck 2. Had no vibration problems with the cabin except when leaving or entering a port. If you have any worries about getting up in time for an excursion, that will not be a problem with this cabin because you will be up at 6:30 am to greet the sun rise. Surprisingly though, even going 21 knots on the open sea was not a problem with vibration.

The ship is in good shape and I have no major problems to report. The cabin was very clean and the upkeep service was very good. Some people have reported odors in the rear passageway of deck 2 and I agree although I did not experience that in the cabin. Late in the cruise, there was a ceiling leak (water) in that passageway and maybe that had some thing to do with the odor. The rugs in Deck 2 do show some aging and I was surprised they had not been replaced during the overhaul a few weeks ago.

The food was OK although not spectacular. Suppers during the formal nights were much better than the other supper meals. LIDO deck food was the regular fare and I was surprised that there were few lines. I do have to complain, however, that breakfast food (eggs, toast, pancakes, etc.) were cold to eat and had been prepared hours ago. That is probably why there were few lines. Preparing the eggs in the omelet station resolves that problem. Desserts were spectacular and plentiful. Had the ice crème daily. People are sure messy around that station and the staff was constantly cleaning it. Coffee and tea was always available and the hot chocolate was exceptional. Tried Guy Burgers once and it seemed like it was better on previous cruises but that could have been a fluke. Food grading is very subjective so you may not agree with me. I am one of those guys who will eat any thing once it is served.

The entertainment was very, very good and I was pleased. You could not ask more from the dancers. The Magic does not have all the computer fanfare that the other ships have and that is a plus. It's more of the old fashion shows that we use to enjoy on previous cruises. The Magic still has the largest number of real live band members and that is another plus.

This cruise was a special cruise for the previous slot winners of the last 6 months. All the winners were invited to come back for a grand finale show down of $100,000 to be held during this cruise. I got the ticket as a transfer since the original party could not attend and I was really excited to participate. There were 620 players and the first 220 could attend the second round. Would you believe I came in 606? There were only 14 players who did worse than I did. I think the electrical cord on my machine may needed to have been plugged in. Then they had a second tournament for $10,000 and I tried it along with a second free entry. Darn cord! Could not get to Round 2 in either of those contests also. So much for the Slot Tournaments! Also tried all the Bingo games with the same results. This time it was not the cord although the Bingo computer program broke down during the last 2 days so we had to play in manual mode. I like the current line out Bingo cards much better than the punch out cards of the past.

Getting on the ship was relatively quick although getting off was another story. I am VIP so usually am on and off with the first groups. Getting off was not as organized as I remember in Miami. I think that will change as they do more cruises in Port Canaveral.

Did several Mayan excursions and one resort type. Enjoyed them all. Some thing you will always remember. The only problem with Xunantunich and Chichen Itza is that they are 8 hours excursions with a 2 hour bus trip up and back. Not much to see during the traveling except for short brush for 100 miles of so. In addition, those box lunches are just as they say "Box lunches". Once you are there, however, you will be amazed.

All and all, I enjoyed the cruise very much and now beginning the process to purchase my 2017 Carnival cruise. Even bought five $100 Carnival gift cards today that became available on the AARP web site. That should make for a good down payment and I save 10 percent as I did with the completed cruise.

Am now working on the 250 pictures taken and will put them on PICASA when completed.

Edited by richfret

Thanks for the review Rich.

IIRC we sailed with you on the Dream.

I recognize your Cruise Critic name and yes we did sail together but not on the Dream. I have never sailed that ship. Must of been on one of the ships that sail from Miami or Ft Lauderdale.

Just curious. Are you originally from the north? I see you used the word supper and I grew up with that word:)

Am a native of Michigan and always use the "Supper" word. Not only that but I only drink "pop" and not "tonic" and I enter the house at the "Living Room" and not the "Parlor". Of course, there is always the "basement" and not the "cellar". On and on it goes.

Have 250 pictures taken during the cruise and also the FUN TIMES and I was going to down load them to PICASA which I have used for years. Came to learn that they no longer offer that service for new pictures. Am now looking for a good replacement site.

Hi Rich! Thanks so much for the review! We are really looking forward to our Magic cruise. Just have to get through 9 more days and then ahhhh vacation.

I think Flickr may do free photo hosting if you're still looking for a place to store and share photos.

Would love to see the Fun Times if you are able to post those.

Have 250 pictures taken during the cruise and also the FUN TIMES and I was going to down load them to PICASA which I have used for years. Came to learn that they no longer offer that service for new pictures. Am now looking for a good replacement site.

I also would love to see them. I sail on the 28th. So excited. Thank you for the review :-)

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Finally got the pictures loaded and they are now ready for viewing. There are about 250 and they are on Snapfish. Many were taken during 3 Mayan excursions and one at a fancy resort. Also pictures taken on the ship. Just send me an E-mail and I will send you an invite for viewing. You don't have to join any thing if you don't want to. My E-mail is:

richffret@gmail.com

Finally got the pictures loaded and they are now ready for viewing. There are about 250 and they are on Snapfish. Many were taken during 3 Mayan excursions and one at a fancy resort. Also pictures taken on the ship. Just send me an E-mail and I will send you an invite for viewing. You don't have to join any thing if you don't want to. My E-mail is:

richffret@gmail.com

Awesome, will do! Thank you.

What did you think of the new Guy Fieri venue?

I'm embarrassed to ask this but is Guy Fieri the guy who decorated and designed the interiors of the ship? Because yes, they were gaudy and a bit much. On the other hand, it really doesn't matter to me since when on a cruise, I just keep running from place to place to get in all the activities. Have sailed 12 of the Carnival ships so you can see, I am a cruise junkie!

I'm embarrassed to ask this but is Guy Fieri the guy who decorated and designed the interiors of the ship? Because yes, they were gaudy and a bit much. On the other hand, it really doesn't matter to me since when on a cruise, I just keep running from place to place to get in all the activities. Have sailed 12 of the Carnival ships so you can see, I am a cruise junkie!

That would be Joe Farcus. his interiors are always gaudy and very dated. Should have handed the decorating reins over years ago.