Royal Genie Question: Shore Excusions

The wife and I will be in a Star Class suite when we sail on the Anthem next January. I know the program just rolled out, but does anyone have any information about what the Genies can do as far as shore excursions go? RCCL's site states that they can book private shore excursions. Has anyone tried this? What is the cost like compared to the regular ship excursions? What can they offer?

From the email I got from my Genie it seems like they can help book the regular excursions, so you would pay the same. And that they can act like the new "private journeys" planners and try to do something custom. I looked into private journeys before and they will book things like private car and driver excursions and they seem to cost a minimum of $500 and quite often a lot more.

I had the same question, so am glad for the answer. The markup seems rather extraordinary, so I guess I will go ahead and book on my own with outside vendors. Yes, I was hoping for better from RC- got it from Seabourne, but hey, growing pains.

They call the Shore Excursions people who have a shoreside contact at each port who then partners with the various local operators to offer these private excursions. Some are great and very fairly priced (the hotel room for the day in Cozumel at this gorgeous resort) while others are really over priced (private boat tour with a 300% markup).

My suggestion is ask them to provide you a list of "private journey" options, then take this list do some research on your own to see what the cost would be like to do something similar. If it's within the ballpark, use Royal Caribbean - as it's helpful to have the full level of service (somebody meets your right on the pier, etc). If it's way less, then do it on your own.

Looks like they will accompany you and your family from this marketing page. See the photo of the genie with the family

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/royalsuiteclass/star/#tab-0

No but they will walk you to the dock to ensure you get off the ship swiftly and meet the proper person, either the shore excursion manager or the local excursion vender.

I have read in previous posts that they will also confirm your privately booked excursion even if it was not booked through RCI/Shore Excursions. Cannot verify this...just noted from a previous post.