Journeys cruise

jewellbeans

We are on the 10 day Journey cruise on the Sunshine May 30. I have heard that there is a formal/80s evening...anyone know for sure before I go savaging for some awesome 80s wear? Anyone else on the same cruise going to be rocking some 80's duds?

We are on the same cruise!

Based on some other Journeys cruise reviews I have read, they do identify one day as "throwback" day, but it seems very few participate as far as dressing the part. My guess is most do not know ahead of time that the event will happen unless they go read up on what makes a Journeys cruise different.

We are not planning to don any 80's duds, but will enjoy seeing what others may do!

I just noticed it changed scavenging to savaging...leaving it because that's awesome!

I'm taking my mom on her first cruise, and I'm so so excited. My dad and his wife are Diamond, so its an old hat for them, I cruised with them in January, but my mom is newly retired after 2 years in Afghanistan and started her own food business so she is in desperate need of some relaxation!

11 days and we'll be sailing to paradise!

Don't remember anyone dressing 80's style on our Journeys cruise. Don't miss the midnight buffet.

Ask about others on your roll call.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Don't remember anyone dressing 80's style on our Journeys cruise. Don't miss the midnight buffet.

Ask about others on your roll call.

I did! No one answered me! It probably got buried.

Except for the longer cruise length, and the ability to do a B2B and return to the same port, I found the first issue of the Journeys cruises to be mostly hype. There was a different passenger demographic aboard, many many more platinums and diamonds (over 600 doing the B2B) and way fewer families.

I loved the longer time at sea, and some of the less frequented port stops, but things like an 80's costume party and midnight buffet seemed trite.

I had anticipated more with the dinner entrees and food selection, but it was simply one entree designated to be representative of the port of call visited. I tried a few of the "new" selections and wasn't overly impressed. This was on the Glory 21 day B2B this past January and February. It was a great cruise, but I don't think the Journey aspect, except for what I mentioned, really made a difference for me.

I have another "Journeys" cruise booked for the Vista in November. Maybe since my expectations are now lowered, and it's a brand new ship, I can appreciate the Journey aspect better for what it's worth.

Edited by evandbob

I just came off the Hawaiian Journeys cruise and no one dressed up for the 80's throw back day. We barely even knew it was a throw back day. They played 80's themed trivia and had a hair chest contest by the pool. The cruise director wore a strange outfit that looked more like it was from the wizard of oz then the 80's and they served baked Alaska in the dining room. It was barely noticeable on our ship.

We will also be on this cruise, and we have sailed the Sunshine before. They have a band that plays every night in the Ocean Plaza around 9:00 til 10:30 that plays 80's music. In fact, the guitarist is the same one that performs the "pre show" music for Epic Rock. If you go see Epic Rock, get there 30 minutes early to hear him play solo for a good 20 minutes before the show starts. I believe they also do an 80's them sing-a-long in the atrium one night during the cruise. Try to get there early, as it gets real crowded. Everyone is singing and dancing. Lots of fun.

I just came off the Hawaiian Journeys cruise and no one dressed up for the 80's throw back day. We barely even knew it was a throw back day. They played 80's themed trivia and had a hair chest contest by the pool. The cruise director wore a strange outfit that looked more like it was from the wizard of oz then the 80's and they served baked Alaska in the dining room. It was barely noticeable on our ship.

This was my experience on our Elation Journeys cruise in April. The only people who really knew about the 80s day were those of us here on CruiseCritic. They set up some 80s photo backdrops during the day and had a few throwback poolside activities (frog races, burping contest, etc) but that's about it.

On the HI cruises the 80's day replaced the HI day.

On the Journey cruises, a few unique things to look for:

1. Midnight buffet

2. Crafts on sea days (great kits - makes wonderful souvenirs).

3. Crew Connections events (more indepth look at ship life or fun interactions with crew like a crew-passenger glee club).

4. the 80s throwback sea day events like horse racing and frog racing and ping pong balls in bathing suit contest.

5. Captains gala with great drinks and lovely appetizers.