How cold is it in January?

My husband and I have a cruise scheduled in Jan 2017 that goes to these ports and others. As well as spending a few nights in Barcelona. Is there anyone that has been in January that could give me a good idea of what they wore and if the weather was cold. We are from NC and I hate being cold. :)

Thanks in advanced.

Rachel

We are from NC and I hate being cold. :)

If you hate being cold you don't cruise the Med in January unless you pack a spare case full of thermal underwear, thick coats, waterproof jackets and an umbrella!

We live in Southern Spain - 40 minutes along the coast east of Malaga - and this Winter has been mild with many days in around 18 degrees (warmer in sheltered spots) BUT it has been exceptional and temperatures in Barcelona have been considerably cooler.

The good news is that, even on cold January days, it tends to be lovely and sunny. However, rain (usually in short, very sharp, showers rather than prolonged downpours) are to be expected at times.

Basically you need to pack for all weather eventualities - some days you will find that a light jacket will be warm enough but expect others to be very chilly and remember even on warmer days ashore it can be considerably cooler out at sea.

If you tell us what ports you are visiting you will get more accurate replies.

Edited by campolady

Generally if you believe Google Barcelona is probably slightly warmer than NC in January http://www.rssweather.com/climate/North%20Carolina/Raleigh/ http://www.holiday-weather.com/barcelona/averages/

These charts are just an indicator, no one knows what the weather will be. My son was in BCN last week and weather was bad, cold and non stop rain.

Edited by hkto

We were in Barcelona last year in January. We had sunny days and a rainy day. It wasn't very warm, probably around 12 to 15c during the day and quite cold in the evening. Barcelona is also fairly damp, so makes it appear cooler.

If you hate being cold you don't cruise the Med in January unless you pack a spare case full of thermal underwear, thick coats, waterproof jackets and an umbrella!

We live in Southern Spain - 40 minutes along the coast east of Malaga - and this Winter has been mild with many days in around 18 degrees (warmer in sheltered spots) BUT it has been exceptional and temperatures in Barcelona have been considerably cooler.

The good news is that, even on cold January days, it tends to be lovely and sunny. However, rain (usually in short, very sharp, showers rather than prolonged downpours) are to be expected at times.

Basically you need to pack for all weather eventualities - some days you will find that a light jacket will be warm enough but expect others to be very chilly and remember even on warmer days ashore it can be considerably cooler out at sea.

If you tell us what ports you are visiting you will get more accurate replies.

This

Our experience of Spain in January is that it's been chilly & sometimes wet, especially around Barcelona.

Resorts on most of Spain's coast effectively close down, with just a few snowbirds escaping northern Europe for just a week or an entire winter.

Warmer than NC, I suspect, but not a lot. No ice, and probably no snow.

By far the best winter weather in Spain, in fact anywhere in the Med., is the Costa del Sol - very broadly Malaga to Gibraltar. Not warm enough to swim in the sea, but generally very pleasant for sight-seeing & shopping and most days for dining & drinking outdoors. Touristy places will have an out-of-season feel and on the fringes many outlets will be closed for the winter, but still quite lively in the centres.

Its the only part of mainland Spain that we'd consider for that time of year.

Sorry if this isn't the answer you were hoping for. ;)

JB :)