Diabetic cruising

nycmedic

I was diagnosed in Jan of this year. I take a daily pill. Took me a while to figure out how and what to eat

Just got off a cruise May 8 and I ate a lot of fish and broccoli at dinner. Lunch was chicken & fixings at the burrito bar. Plenty of choices to eat. just sucks passing up on some things

I did eat a little bit of the chocolate melting cake.

I think you can request a different menu prior to sailing, but I had no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been a diabetic for 12 years now and as you can see by my cruise list at the bottom of my posts, it doesn't have to slow you down from cruising.

I remember my dietician stating that you can still eat most anything, just eat smaller potions of the bad stuff and watch your carb intake. You will find there are lots of good choices on a cruise ship.

Speak to your dietician and find out what foods are better for you than others.

I've had type 2 diabetes for 10 years and manage to enjoy eating on cruises. If you make healthy choices, watch carbs and get plenty of exercise ( walk a lot and use the stairs if you can) you should be able to indulge a bit. If you haven't already seen a nutritionist speak to your doctor about arranging it. It will be a great help in managing your diabetes. Good luck.

No Problem! I control my Type II totally by diet.

You can eat anything you wish ... maybe not just as much of it.

Beware of those "Sugar Free" deserts which are actually worse for you in many ways than the real thing.

Enjoy your Chocolate Melting Cake ... just eat about a third of it and not the whole thing. :)

I'm not diabetic but I avoid carbs as if I am.

I've never cruised before but it's not hard to keep your carb intake low in restaurants so I am guessing with the wide variety available on Carnival it's going to be fairly easy.

I've been low carb for almost 3 years now and it is surprisingly simple.

Guy's Burgers. ....don't eat the bun.

Avoid French fries but eat bacon.

Eat salads, cheeses, lunchmeats but avoid bread.

The omelette station sounds fantastic!

Eat the topping part of the pizza. ....don't eat the crust (or much of it! )

Room service has salads if I recall correctly. ....but I just plan on ordering 2-3 BLT's with a salad and throwing out the bread. ......instant blt salad.

A small taco or burrito shouldn't be too bad but consider the carb count as a cheat.

Ask for extra sour cream and guacamole if available.

Get the cheese dessert........sounds delicious and low carb!

Drink dry wine cognac or straight spirits instead of foofoo frozen concoctions.

Low Carb High Fat and MIDERATE protein has been my lifestyle and. I've got it down.

I'm actually really looking forward to all of the choices available on Carnival!

You can do this!

Edited by workerbee01

I was just diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic. Any suggestions on managing this on a cruise. I'm booked on the sunshine in September. There goes my warm melting chocolate cake.

There are lots of people that cruise with diabetic, just watch what you eat and do some exercise. Yes forget about the WMCC.

There are lots of people that cruise with diabetic, just watch what you eat and do some exercise. Yes forget about the WMCC.

I've never had the warm chocolate melting cake and I will be trying it. ....a few bites won't hurt anyone.

Besides from what I've read it's too damn sweet to enjoy.

Once you are low carb all the extra sugar is too much.

It's amazing how your taste buds change and adapt!

Have been one for 2 years although I took my A1C from 11.3 to 5.7 in 12 months. Pay attention to carbs and and high sugar. No elevators on a cruise, only stairs and keep up the water. I test 3 times a day and managed without issue. Even allowed myself a couple of beers. I wasn't deprived but ate under control.

I was just diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic. Any suggestions on managing this on a cruise. I'm booked on the sunshine in September. There goes my warm melting chocolate cake.

I don't have diabetes but I had medicine induced diabetes for 2 years due to being on a high dose of steroids for a medical condition they were treating.

During that time I cruised and the best advise I can give you is good see the Maitre'd in the MDR the day you board and let them know. They chefs will prepare your meal with your diabetes in mind.

No worries as you can order right from the menu, in fact a hostess will come to your table every evening and show you the next days menu so you can order ahead of time so the chefs can have it ready for you the next day, they will even do this for breakfast and lunch if you want to eat in the MDR for those also.

They do have sugar free ice cream in the MDR also.

The chefs can do wonderful things, my wife cannot have dairy so she orders the day before and even though she can't have dairy they can still make a melting cake for her.

Lastly, I thought the food tasted just as good when I had to use a diabetic diet.

Edited by T2C

If you need a sharps container for lancets, syringes etc, the room steward can get you one. If you fill it, they can get you more. I'm a type 1 on an insulin pump, so I fill a couple per cruise. I also put my test strips in the sharps box just so the steward doesn't accidentally have to deal with any that may miss the trash or fall out etc. Those pesky strips turn up in the funiest places lol.

Hi, I've also been a diabetic for 30 years and cruising really can be hassle free. As stated by someone earlier, they will supply you with a sharps container, all you have to do is ask. Someone else mentioned all the food you could eat and most was correct except for the bacon and lunchmeat. Most drs don't like you eating much of it because of the sodium and fat, so ask your dr about that. One thing I have found about cruising is how they are usually so eager to make you happy. So if you would like a specialty cake, such as for an anniversary, they are usually more than happy to make it sugar free. Now I am only speaking of experiance on NCL, as this will be our first cruise on Carnival. I'm really hoping to have the same experience here.

Protein/meats, fresh veggies/salads/ move, move move. Keep moving. Don't take the elevator, walk the stairs, walk, walk, walk. The sugar free desserts aren't that "sugar free." The cakes still have carbs, so eat the icing and leave the cake alone. Go ahead and have alcohol except for the foo-foo- drinks. Whiskey/vodka/bourbon, etc have 0 carbs. You'll burn the alcohol off first, but it might send your blood sugar low so watch out for that. Portion control, watch the carbs. Keep moving.

I'm not diabetic but I avoid carbs as if I am.

I've never cruised before but it's not hard to keep your carb intake low in restaurants so I am guessing with the wide variety available on Carnival it's going to be fairly easy.

I've been low carb for almost 3 years now and it is surprisingly simple.

Guy's Burgers. ....don't eat the bun.

Avoid French fries but eat bacon.

Eat salads, cheeses, lunchmeats but avoid bread.

The omelette station sounds fantastic!

Eat the topping part of the pizza. ....don't eat the crust (or much of it! )

Room service has salads if I recall correctly. ....but I just plan on ordering 2-3 BLT's with a salad and throwing out the bread. ......instant blt salad.

A small taco or burrito shouldn't be too bad but consider the carb count as a cheat.

Ask for extra sour cream and guacamole if available.

Get the cheese dessert........sounds delicious and low carb!

Drink dry wine cognac or straight spirits instead of foofoo frozen concoctions.

Low Carb High Fat and MIDERATE protein has been my lifestyle and. I've got it down.

I'm actually really looking forward to all of the choices available on Carnival!

You can do this!

You sound just like Dr. Atkins! ;)

Its much easier than at "land" restaurants. I've been low carbs for 3 years. The problem on land is you are given a meal and can typically only eat half of it, so you waste lots of food and your still hungry. On a cruise, you can as much as you want, and mostly pick exactly what you want. If you ask me its much easier.

Your biggest problem will be knowing exactly has lots of sugar because sometimes its hard to tell. I'm not a big sweets person, so never really felt deprived from deserts, but just get a tiny slice and eat half.

At the dinning room just tell them what you want and don't want. They always accommodate. If you like a special diet drink, just bring it along.

Have been one for 2 years although I took my A1C from 11.3 to 5.7 in 12 months. Pay attention to carbs and and high sugar. No elevators on a cruise, only stairs and keep up the water. I test 3 times a day and managed without issue. Even allowed myself a couple of beers. I wasn't deprived but ate under control.

Kind of on overdrive testing 3x a day with type 2. What do you do if your readings are out of range? You must have good insurance or you have extra money to spend. Those strips are expensive.

My dietician told me that if you want to have a piece of cake like at a birthday party, just back off on something else but don't eat all of it or take a small piece. If you deprive yourself of something, you'll wind up craving it so bad that you'll pig out if you do indulge.

No worries as you can order right from the menu, in fact a hostess will come to your table every evening and show you the next days menu so you can order ahead of time so the chefs can have it ready for you the next day, they will even do this for breakfast and lunch if you want to eat in the MDR for those also.

You can also order your entrees in the MDR "naked" (without the sauces they're often smothered in - to my delight but DH not so much). You can also substitute anything from the appetizers (like a salad) for the vegetables listed with the entrée on the menu. There's salmon and a Cesar salad on the always part of the menu. DH sometimes, for his entrée, orders the Caesar salad topped with the salmon.

Were you a fast food junkie who ate on the run? That might have been a contributing factor.

Eat sensibly, cut back on carbs because they digest into sugar;) Don't turn your new way of eating into a "job", just alter eating habits to include healthier options and cutting back/omitting the culprit foods.

Kind of on overdrive testing 3x a day with type 2. What do you do if your readings are out of range? You must have good insurance or you have extra money to spend. Those strips are expensive.

I have excellent insurance thankfully. Testing supplies are free. I normally test once or maybe twice a day but being on the cruise and eating outside my norm, I wanted to be safe. The first time was two years ago when my glucose crashed. We were still feeling out the med levels and low sugar is, to me, even worse. Shakes, unable to respond, moving is difficult. Luckily my wife is an RN and got some OJ in me. All the walking and heat, causing probably water content loss, was problematic. I am fairly educated now on dos and don'ts, so I'm rarely out of line. If I hit 140, it's strictly proteins until it gets back in line. My norm is 95-110. Under 95 is potential episode time.

Please see a nutritionist or certified diabetes educator ASAP. All foods you eat eventually turn into glucose in your body (even bacon and butter), some just take much longer to do so and they do not spike your blood sugar the way bread or a cookie would. As stated above, even sugar free things turn into glucose in the blood. Education is power and a nutritionist can definitely help out. Your doc may even want you to test more on the cruise due to all the walking you will be getting. You will do fine :) I know this can be managed and you can still enjoy foods on the trip because I have had diabetes for 30 years and I always have a blast when cruising. And I do treat myself to small portions of things I want because I use my knowledge from the nutritionist and certified diabetes educator and I test ALOT, like 10-12 times a day and I wear an insulin pump :eek:

Type 2 Diabetic here. I have found my blood sugars are always lower on cruises. I walk more, there are more fresh food choices than I have in my daily life, etc. So, my sugars are fan-freaking-tastic on board!

As someone else suggested, don't make it a chore. Eat some things you really want, like the cake. Just realize it's a treat, and adjust your intake the rest of the day accordingly.

I hit the buffet for breakfast and do mostly proteins (omelettes, bacon, etc.). If I have bread, I do a slice of whole wheat bread. That leaves me some more carbs to "sin" later on.

I do check my blood sugars more frequently on vacation. The change in diet, sleeping habits (I work insane hours, so my sleep changes drastically on a cruise), and exercise make it to where I actually have some lows on cruises. So, I check myself 4-5 times a day when cruising, when I'm usually 2-3 times per day at home.

As others have said, if you haven't availed yourself of a diabetic educator and/or nutritionist, please do so. They were a HUGE help to me when I was first diagnosed. And, funny enough, I'm an RN with 20 years experience. It's a whole different thing when you're struggling thru it on your own! You will learn what works for YOU. Some folks can handle more carbs than others. Some do better with one sweetener than another (I, for instance, get blood sugar spikes with agave sweetener, and most folks don't). It's a diagnosis, but not a life sentence! You will find better health is very much within your reach!! Some folks have to take meds, some can just control it with exercise/diet. Don't beat yourself up if you have to take meds. Everyone is different.

Best of luck!

Go on your cruise and have a ball!! You just have to make a few adjustments here and there. When this journey starts it can appear larger then life however, as time goes on you will learn how to play the game you will know the tricks that protect you and you will win at this. The big "D" does NOT control you! YOU control IT!! Count your carbs, exercise, exercise, exercise and eat in moderation (you want the special CCL chocolate cake? Eat it. Take a bite or two and push it away). You can do this and you can keep on cruising as long as you wish.

You are gonna be just fine.....