For anyone docking in Malaga on 26th May

Corpus Christi - Not to be missed if you are in Malaga on 26th May 2016

The celebration of Corpus Cristi (Body of Christ) in Malaga is one of the grandest in the Andalucian region. There will be a mid-morning Mass celebrated at the Santa Iglesia Catedral Basílica de la Encarnación. There are several processions in the city centre, but mainly along Calle Larios and Calle Granada, a gigantic sculpted Blessed Sacrament, riding on a float, is paraded with hundreds of devotees in tow. Accompanied by the city clergy, the procession moves along with some characters wearing huge masks depicting characters in the Old Testament Bible. Traditional dances are performed by these characters. Along the route, you can see many decorated altars decorated with flowers and religious icons.

For photos click on https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=corpus+christi+malaga&biw=1280&bih=632&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9qfPdgejMAhVB5xoKHdZhA6AQsAQIKQ

Edited by campolady

Thanks for sharing and your great advice Campolady. Can I ask for more advice, please?

Spain Day Tours has just officially cancelled our tour from Malaga to the Alhambra for June 3rd. :( One of the party is now already travelling and asks if I know of another company he could book for this tour. I'm a bit stumped. Can you suggest anyone ? The problem is availability of tickets. I understand that there may be some available on the day but this seems highly risky plus am I correct that you would not recommend going by public transport or hiring a car? Harmony is in port from 0800 to 1800. Interestingly, the ship does not offer an excursion to Granada/Alhambra.

Many thanks again

Thanks for sharing and your great advice Campolady. Can I ask for more advice, please?

Spain Day Tours has just officially cancelled our tour from Malaga to the Alhambra for June 3rd. :( One of the party is now already travelling and asks if I know of another company he could book for this tour. I'm a bit stumped. Can you suggest anyone ? The problem is availability of tickets. I understand that there may be some available on the day but this seems highly risky plus am I correct that you would not recommend going by public transport or hiring a car? Harmony is in port from 0800 to 1800. Interestingly, the ship does not offer an excursion to Granada/Alhambra.

Many thanks again

What a shame!

Tickets available on the day tend to sell out early morning - people start queuing from 6 a.m.!

I have searched all the tour companies I know and none have availability left for 3rd June. The only thing I can suggest - as I posted previously - is that you book the Alhambra Gardens ticket where you will see everything except the Nasrid Palaces (and the Nasrid is overrated IMO). There is still availability for 3rd June http://www.ticketmaster.es/en/tickets-family/alh-generalife-y-alcazaba/4/

One other option is that you buy a Granada City Pass online - but this is valid for 3 days so is expensive and, although they virtually guarantee entry to the Alhambra, you have to state what date you want to visit at the time of booking so check they could offer the 3rd before paying! http://www.lovegranada.com/granada/city-pass/

Travelling by public transport is risky - hiring a car is a better option as long as you allow plenty of time (at least 2.5 hours) for the return journey to allow for possible delays.

Sorry I can't be of more help. If your heart is set on visiting the Alhambra I would go for the Garden ticket - alternatively visit the Alcazaba in Malaga that is similar to the Alhambra but smaller (although you have probably already seen this on your previous visits to Malaga). https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A9mSs2ccwT5XLS8AMLNLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZmVxM3N0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Malaga+Alcazaba&fr=yfp-t-421

Edited by campolady

Many thanks for this. DH and I have decided to stay in Malaga itself, I wanted to help our cruise friend who is on the road with limited internet access. Meanwhile I did find one company on Viator who appeared to have availability from Malaga to palace and gardens and forwarded details to him to check out.

We have already seen the sites in Malaga, wondering if you would recommend the Automobile Museum? Also, any shopping tips? :)

Many thanks for this. DH and I have decided to stay in Malaga itself, I wanted to help our cruise friend who is on the road with limited internet access. Meanwhile I did find one company on Viator who appeared to have availability from Malaga to palace and gardens and forwarded details to him to check out.

We have already seen the sites in Malaga, wondering if you would recommend the Automobile Museum? Also, any shopping tips? :)

Strange - Viator is showing up fully booked for me; fingers crossed they can help your friend.

Automobile Museum is excellent - as is the Glass and Crystal Museum.

Shopping wise - Silver jewellery is well priced and available in a lot of the back streets in the Old City.

New Gastro Food Market is now fully opened and good for a drink and tapa http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/nov/01/mercado-merced-malaga-food-market-spain-foodie-traveller

Edited by campolady