Just off the Gem

Aimeef12

Just as a reminder to those of you who do not take NCL excursions. You MUST be back to the ship on time - the ship will not wait for you. However if you take the NCL sponsored excursions and you are late coming back to the ship the ship will WAIT for you. I'm sorry but the piece of mind knowing that I will not miss the ship is worth the extra cost.

The slide that you posted is the old slide that was taken down in November 2015

Thats the old slide,the new one is blue and it is

double sided, so two can slide at the same time,

Seen kids using it over and over again, also

some adults, Some had troubles and some made it

down just fine.

Marion

Thats the old slide,the new one is blue and it is

double sided, so two can slide at the same time,

Seen kids using it over and over again, also

some adults, Some had troubles and some made it

down just fine.

Marion

By any chance are you a doctor from Brooklyn ?

Hi. A couple question's...what night is the white hot\neon party and which night is typically the dressier dress up night option? Thanks

On the 1st sailing to Eastern Canada, formal night was the evening of the first At Sea day. White hot party was the night before the final At Sea day. Hope this helps.

On the 1st sailing to Eastern Canada, formal night was the evening of the first At Sea day. White hot party was the night before the final At Sea day. Hope this helps.

That is typical for most sailings

Safe sailing

I just came off the Gem early May and was not so amused with it :( My main gripe was with the kids program they limit it to the first 20 kids which is terrible considering there is way more than 20 kids on board. My children were turned away many times over the week and in order for us to definitely get them in we had to be in line for over an hour before they opened. Not exactly my idea of fun and my kids were very sad when they couldn't get in to activities they looked forward to.

Have been on numerous Norwegian boats and this is the first time where they refuse entry to children and 20 kids is a ridicules number for how many kids they have on board. I wish this info was posted on their website I would have never taken that cruise and paid so much $ for a very frustrating week!

I just came off the Gem early May and was not so amused with it :( My main gripe was with the kids program they limit it to the first 20 kids which is terrible considering there is way more than 20 kids on board. My children were turned away many times over the week and in order for us to definitely get them in we had to be in line for over an hour before they opened. Not exactly my idea of fun and my kids were very sad when they couldn't get in to activities they looked forward to.

Have been on numerous Norwegian boats and this is the first time where they refuse entry to children and 20 kids is a ridicules number for how many kids they have on board. I wish this info was posted on their website I would have never taken that cruise and paid so much $ for a very frustrating week!

Your whole cruise was ruined because of this issue,

I must say we got of the Gem May 28 and going

again June12th, we had the best time! The ship

was beautiful the crew was great and it looked

like all the kids were having a ball. Space is limited

on a ship, so I can understand that they would

limit the space, to ensure that this kids that made

it into the club had a good time.

I guess it would be like that with any "Daycare"

or kids club so many kids are allowed.

Sorry it didn't work out for you,

Marion

Your whole cruise was ruined because of this issue,

I must say we got of the Gem May 28 and going

again June12th, we had the best time! The ship

was beautiful the crew was great and it looked

like all the kids were having a ball. Space is limited

on a ship, so I can understand that they would

limit the space, to ensure that this kids that made

it into the club had a good time.

I guess it would be like that with any "Daycare"

or kids club so many kids are allowed.

Sorry it didn't work out for you,

Marion

I'm sure she appreciates your gloating at how your childless vacation plans worked out so well for you. You've done her a great service.

I'm sure she appreciates your gloating at how your childless vacation plans worked out so well for you. You've done her a great service.

She wasn't gloating, she just saw the vacation in a different way.

EXACTLY!!!! Thank you ;)

What people WITHOUT young children don't understand is that unless we can depend on a fun kid program for our children to enjoy WE can not exactly enjoy our cruise. How else can I go to a show or dinner? Should I bring along a bored 5 year old and ruin other cruisers experience???

Maybe Marion I will book the June 12th cruise as well I'm sure my 5 and 10 year olds will LOVE to keep you entertained during your dinner :rolleyes:

If Norwegian Gem has limited space for their childrens program they should say so during marketing/booking and not reach into my pocket for a cruise they can't enjoy :rolleyes:

I am posting my experience to help out other FAMILIES cruising with children so that they know what to expect on the GEM. I wish I had read a review about it before I myself chose the Gem.

Funny how the Gem is the only boat that has "limited space" never had that problem on any other Norwegian boat or cruise line...

If Norwegian Gem has limited space for their childrens program they should say so during marketing/booking and not reach into my pocket for a cruise they can't enjoy :rolleyes:

Bingo. It's absurd to advertise how great their kid friendly services are and then

once you're on board. The "it doesn't effect me so it's not a big deal" attitude is not helpful.

EXACTLY!!!! Thank you ;)

What people WITHOUT young children don't understand is that unless we can depend on a fun kid program for our children to enjoy WE can not exactly enjoy our cruise. How else can I go to a show or dinner? Should I bring along a bored 5 year old and ruin other cruisers experience???

Maybe Marion I will book the June 12th cruise as well I'm sure my 5 and 10 year olds will LOVE to keep you entertained during your dinner :rolleyes:

We don't have kids, and I thought the original comment was something good to know. As you say, if there aren't activities for kids, they are going to be places where they may not enjoy themselves so much ... and everyone will know it!

I'm curious fourofakind -- were you on one of the trips to Canada? I ask because I wonder if the reason for the limited kids activities might be because it was an itinerary that generally doesn't attract many families. Most schools in the NY area are still in session in May, so that might be another reason that the kids programs were not well-staffed.

I read another post (edited to say I thought also about the Gem, but actually about the Getaway) by someone saying she was really disappointed in the children's programming, which also seems to relate to the dropping of the Nickelodeon relationship. I can't imagine them not having a big and active kids program during summer sailings. It will be bedlam for all.

Edited by jm485