Off Freedom on Sunday - my thoughts

First of all, cruising in a cast flat out sucks. I had MANY people ask me what happen, if I did it on board, etc. It got old after a while of explaining the story. Otherwise, I didn't let the cast mess up my cruise. There was a lot I couldn't do but I made the best of it I could.

Food-I thought everything was great. Everything from Windjammer to MDR to Chops. I wasn't unhappy with anything I ate. It was all very good. Been on 2 other cruises so far and the food was the best on this one

Beds-yes they are hard. But hubs and I like a hard bed and we slept pretty good on them. No egg crate topper needed for us. Pillows were AWFUL! We will bring out own next cruise.

Ship itself-lots of vibration and really felt it in the back of the ship. LOTS of movement of the ship the whole cruise. Part of that was slightly rough seas and high winds. Only one night the movement bothered me and I had a hard time sleeping as did my husband.

The drinks-R Bar was by far my fav. Bruce in there was amazing and made me drinks that weren't on the menu and that I LOVED. Boleros was great with the coconut mojitos. Only bar I did not like was Schooner because they seemed a bit cranky. Drinks were good though.

Entertainment-this was great! A lot of great shows that kept us coming back for more. The men's belly flop contest and ladies cannonball contest were kinda lame but I feel like these are sexist anyway. Not my thing.

Cruise director-Casey P. was awesome and really funny.

Ports-stayed on the ship for CocoCay. That was great. I was not impressed with shopping in St. Thomas. St. Maarten was wonderful for shopping if you can deal with the "come in the store and look" people. I just ignored them and kept walking. Best deal on alcohol here so we loaded up big time.

I was on this cruise, also, and I agree with you about Casey, the CD, and the entertainment. Both cast shows were really terrific, lots of talented performers, and the magician and the first comedian were good. The comedianne they had later in the week was just meh. Ice show is always good.

I didn't care for Windjammer either day I went for lunch, but my daughter got food over in Jade and thought it was good. MDR- service excellent- food was good. Went to Sabor for the first time- my daughter and I really loved it, but DH wishes we had gone to Chops. But then he's a steak kinda guy.

Did the brunch with the galley tour- Icesk8rReedy- did you do this? I loved it! Loved seeing the gallery; I took lots of pics- might have to post them. It was wonderful seeing the kitchens, all 3 deck levels, and the different stations they have, and the flow of the food.

Also- we had one of the panaoramic family oceanview cabins, and I have to stay it is our favorite cabin we've ever had, including the Grand Suite we splurged for once. Spectacular views, and my DH brought his GoPro and put it on the window for sailing in and out of all the ports on a time-lapsed video, as well as sunsets and sunrises. Our cabin was right next to the camera that feeds into the TV channel that shows the front of the ship. Might post those videos, too, if I could figure that one out as well. Maybe have to do that as a YouTube link?

Only negative was that I didn't like how they had done away with the old bar menus- there's only a shortened menu in the Schooner and Viking Crown, and no one makes those specialty drinks in there the same way. I bet DH got 12 different versions of a Gin Fizz during the week. But, if that's all I have to complain about, I just need to hush.

I think Freedom is our favorite ship- the crew were so pleasant and service was top notch. I asked several of them if they were moving over to the big ship when it takes Freedom's place, and everyone I talked to said they were sticking with Freedom. I don't blame them at all.

First of all, cruising in a cast flat out sucks. I had MANY people ask me what happen, if I did it on board, etc. It got old after a while of explaining the story. Otherwise, I didn't let the cast mess up my cruise. There was a lot I couldn't do but I made the best of it I could.

Thanks for the quick review. Sorry you had to cruise in a cast.....sounds like you made the most of it though :)

Also- we had one of the panaoramic family oceanview cabins, and I have to stay it is our favorite cabin we've ever had, including the Grand Suite we splurged for once.

I am so jealous--I wanted that room! But it is sold out for our sailing. We are going to be staying in an Inside Family Promenade.

We are taking our 3rd cruise on FOS in December and I was hoping one of you will be able to answer a couple of questions for me. We did sail on FOS a few years ago (but I just don't remember any specifics of the ship.) As I mentioned, we are going to be staying in an Inside Family Promenade room (there will be 5 or 6 us.) Is there a shower in the Fitness Center? Is it available to all passengers or just people utilizing the spa? I was hoping we may be able to use it since there is only 1 bathroom in our stateroom.

My other question is do you know if the MDR is open for lunch on Embarkation Day? When we sailed on NCL's Pride of America, the MDR was open for lunch that day and it was a nice quiet place to sit and enjoy something to eat while we waited for our room to be ready.

Would you be able to tell me the actual shows on the ship? We are going on Freedom Dec 30 cruise but haven't done this ship class in so long.

Thank you for the other information.

Barbara

Here is a recent Freedom Cruise Compass with all the shows listed:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49955343#post49955343

Would you be able to tell me the actual shows on the ship? We are going on Freedom Dec 30 cruise but haven't done this ship class in so long.

Thank you for the other information.

Barbara

Barbara--we are also on the December 30th sailing!

Thanks for the quick review. Sorry you had to cruise in a cast.....sounds like you made the most of it though :)

I am so jealous--I wanted that room! But it is sold out for our sailing. We are going to be staying in an Inside Family Promenade.

We are taking our 3rd cruise on FOS in December and I was hoping one of you will be able to answer a couple of questions for me. We did sail on FOS a few years ago (but I just don't remember any specifics of the ship.) As I mentioned, we are going to be staying in an Inside Family Promenade room (there will be 5 or 6 us.) Is there a shower in the Fitness Center? Is it available to all passengers or just people utilizing the spa? I was hoping we may be able to use it since there is only 1 bathroom in our stateroom.

My other question is do you know if the MDR is open for lunch on Embarkation Day? When we sailed on NCL's Pride of America, the MDR was open for lunch that day and it was a nice quiet place to sit and enjoy something to eat while we waited for our room to be ready.

There are fitness center showers. They are located in the steam room/sauna center by the fitness center opening. We used the fitness center 5 days and not once used the spa so pretty sure you can just go in and use the showers. They looked nice. I don't think MDR is open on embarkation day for lunch, only windjammer/jade. We didn't get on board until 1:30 so our rooms were ready and we already had lunch at pier.

There are fitness center showers. They are located in the steam room/sauna center by the fitness center opening. We used the fitness center 5 days and not once used the spa so pretty sure you can just go in and use the showers. They looked nice. I don't think MDR is open on embarkation day for lunch, only windjammer/jade. We didn't get on board until 1:30 so our rooms were ready and we already had lunch at pier.

Thanks for the info. I didn't recall MDR being open last time we sailed her, but it was my first cruise and being a newbie I was just so excited to be on the ship lol.

CruisnDeb- I think you already got answers to your questions, and that's good, because I didn't know about the showers in the spa. But I did know the dining room wasn't open for lunch on embarkation day, because we walked through there to check out our table.

The Royal singers and dancers cast, as I mentioned, were really good this sailing- the Marquee show and the Once Upon a Time show were great.

CruisnDeb- I think you already got answers to your questions, and that's good, because I didn't know about the showers in the spa. But I did know the dining room wasn't open for lunch on embarkation day, because we walked through there to check out our table.

The Royal singers and dancers cast, as I mentioned, were really good this sailing- the Marquee show and the Once Upon a Time show were great.

Thanks Alicia. Any other tips and not to miss things you can think of?

Thanks for the report, Icesk8rReddy, and thanks for the link to the Compasses, Bob.

We're going on Freedom in August for the first time since December, 2013, and we're considering the 3-specialty-dining package. I went through the compasses noting which menu was on which night (assuming it will be the same on our Eastern cruise in August) so we can decide when to skip the MDR. Day 3 showed Pimiento and Day 6 showed Pimento, so I'm guessing one was a mistake.

Has anyone been on Freedom recently and remember or have made a note of the MDR menus for each night? Others listed in the linked Compasses were Day 1 Mojo, Day 2 Saffron, Day 4 Basil, Day 5 Jasmine, and Day 7 Pomodoro (hopefully all correct), but we'd appreciate any help in sorting out Day 3 and Day 6.

Thanks!

Margy

Edited by Margy23

Thanks Alicia. Any other tips and not to miss things you can think of?

A few more points:

Get off CocoCay early- we were on the beach early, snagged good chairs near the water before it got unbearably hot and crowded, then headed back by 1:30 or so. Beautiful beach day.

Go to the theater up on the 4th deck and get there 15-20 minutes before showtime, and you'll get a great seat and plenty of bar waiters walking about. Not too crowded at all and much better views than down below. The magician, Drew Thomas, was really good, and John Joseph, comic, was good. Michelle Balan- she was just okay. Oh- and one night the ice show is the main show- we didn't know that, and we had gone earlier in the week during the day. If we had realized, we would have just waited and gone at 7 before dinner.

If they offer the brunch with galley tour, it's $30pp and in my opinion, well worth it. You get a tour from one of the managers- not sure if it's kitchen manager or dining room manager, but they break you up into small groups so you a more personalized tour. The food was good and free champagne.

Best spot for sea days is in the solarium pool just sitting or laying on the very shallow end in the water. The solarium bar is right there, and since it's adults and not kids splashing, I could have my kindle with me and read. I had my beach bag with towel nearby and didn't have to deal with chair hogs for a chair. It wasn't really crowded any day I was there- I was always able to find a spot to sit in the water and read.

Hope this helps! Again, Freedom is our favorite ship and the crew and staff are just wonderful.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have another question. I have read that on some of the ships now, you have to put a card in a slot to use A/C and lights. Are these room card slots on the FOS? Just need to know if I need to bring an extra card to keep in the slot.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have another question. I have read that on some of the ships now, you have to put a card in a slot to use A/C and lights. Are these room card slots on the FOS? Just need to know if I need to bring an extra card to keep in the slot.

No card slots in Freedom staterooms.

Actually, our cabin did have the slot. I couldn't figure out why our lights weren't working. Asked the cabin steward and she pushed the make up room card and do not disturb card farther down in the slot and voila! Lights worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Actually, our cabin did have the slot. I couldn't figure out why our lights weren't working. Asked the cabin steward and she pushed the make up room card and do not disturb card farther down in the slot and voila! Lights worked.

Hi Censored. Thanks for the info about the lights--I guess I will bring an extra just in case.

I just read in another thread that you had cabin 1854.....I really, really, really want that cabin! Right now it (and 1804) are not available for my sailing in December, but I am going to keep calling just in case one of them becomes available. Do you have any pictures of the bunk bed area? Can adult sized people sleep in there?

Food-I thought everything was great. Everything from Windjammer to MDR to Chops. I wasn't unhappy with anything I ate. It was all very good. Been on 2 other cruises so far and the food was the best on this one

Beds-yes they are hard. But hubs and I like a hard bed and we slept pretty good on them. No egg crate topper needed for us. Pillows were AWFUL! We will bring out own next cruise.

Ship itself-lots of vibration and really felt it in the back of the ship. LOTS of movement of the ship the whole cruise. Part of that was slightly rough seas and high winds. Only one night the movement bothered me and I had a hard time sleeping as did my husband.

The drinks-R Bar was by far my fav. Bruce in there was amazing and made me drinks that weren't on the menu and that I LOVED. Boleros was great with the coconut mojitos. Only bar I did not like was Schooner because they seemed a bit cranky. Drinks were good though.

Entertainment-this was great! A lot of great shows that kept us coming back for more. The men's belly flop contest and ladies cannonball contest were kinda lame but I feel like these are sexist anyway. Not my thing.

Cruise director-Casey P. was awesome and really funny.

Ports-stayed on the ship for CocoCay. That was great. I was not impressed with shopping in St. Thomas. St. Maarten was wonderful for shopping if you can deal with the "come in the store and look" people. I just ignored them and kept walking. Best deal on alcohol here so we loaded up big time.

Icesk8rReedy I was of one of those annoying people that asked about your cast. LOL We sat next to you in the Marquee show.

We had a balcony room and wind blowed so hard a few nights that the doors between the balcony were rattling - quite irritating. We got off the boat in CoCo Cay and tried to get one of the cabana's but found out that the cabana's were sold out before they were available to everyone! BOO!!! But it was nice weather. and the water was beautiful!

St. Thomas was nice but let me post a tip...get a taxi that is wearing a badge. My husband and I along with a young lady and her mother ended up jumping from a taxi after he got into a verbal altercation with another driver! He kept driving around the parking lot trying to get other passengers. All we wanted to do was go to Magens Bay but he was going to charge up more to go up over the mountain as well. Magens Bay is TOTALLY beautiful!!! Loved that!!!

St. Marteen was ok. The taxi's there also ripped us off. The sign at the stand CLEARLY states that more than 5 passengers would be charged $5 a piece and we have over 9 people in the bus. and we were all charged $8 a piece. We went to Maho Beach (air plane beach). It has a very strong rip tide and the beach it self is very small. They also charge $20 for 2 chairs and an umbrella. Also be prepared to be hounded by ladies trying to sell their wears. Bugged me after the 3rd time the same lady came back asking if I wanted to by something. But what was really bad was the same taxi driver wanted to charge us $20 to get back to the boat! We found another taxi and when we did he said he would get us back to the boat but ended up dropping us downtown and had to walk the 2 miles back.

The ship itself is also always FABULOUS!!! Tons of things to do! We hit all the shows and loved the Schooner bar. The piano singer was awesome! The food was amazing -both in the main dining room and Windjammer. I did try most of the food and the only thing I couldn't stomach was the hamburgers.

The only thing that bugged me was the chairs at the pools! And the last day there I actually had one of the pool guard actually come out and take a chair that was being saved and he gave it to me. The people that were saving it showed up about 1030 and were not happy but hey not supposed to save a chair for over 3 hours! These people actually came out at 0630 and put towels out on the row of chairs in front of the pool and didn't show up until 1030! They were not happy but they didn't say anything to me! Wish they would have because I would have told them to stick!

All and all this was a great time and a great cruise!!

Hi Censored. Thanks for the info about the lights--I guess I will bring an extra just in case.

I just read in another thread that you had cabin 1854.....I really, really, really want that cabin! Right now it (and 1804) are not available for my sailing in December, but I am going to keep calling just in case one of them becomes available. Do you have any pictures of the bunk bed area? Can adult sized people sleep in there?

No need for an extra card. The do not disturb card and make up room card are kept in the slot. As long as the adults aren't very tall, the bunks should be fine. No pics of it on my phone though. I kept checking the website for price drops and at 60 days out from sailing is when all the family staterooms showed up. We got it with just 3 of us.

No need for an extra card. The do not disturb card and make up room card are kept in the slot. As long as the adults aren't very tall, the bunks should be fine. No pics of it on my phone though. I kept checking the website for price drops and at 60 days out from sailing is when all the family staterooms showed up. We got it with just 3 of us.

Thanks. I will keep checking--but I'm not hopeful. When I spoke to the RC rep, she said those 2 cabins are already booked. I guess I can cross my fingers and hope one of them cancels :)