Independence of the Seas - FLL port transport

My wife and I are cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale in January on the Indy. I have booked the Embassy Suites the night before the cruise and I have a few questions:

1. Do I need to reserve the shuttle to the port from Embassy Suites ahead of time? We don't get in until very late the night before our cruise.

2. Is the Embassy Suites shuttle reliable or should we get a taxi?

3. Our flight home leaves the same day that we return to port. Should we just grab a taxi at the port to the airport?

I appreciate any help.

I'd use a taxi both ways. Not expensive at all in Ft. Lauderdale and quicker than waiting for a shuttle. You're probably looking at $10-$15 from the hotel to the port and around $15 from the port to the airport.

Edited by clarea

Every hotel I have used you either book a time on the shuttle when you check in or it is first come first served. You might search the home ports area of CC and see if anyone else has experience with that particular hotel.

IMO a cab/uber is more convenient, comfortable and doesn't cost much more.

I also recommend the taxi route in both directions. Avoids waiting for the shuttle to fill and then having to stop at 3 other cruise terminals to drop off passengers sailing on ships other than yours. On the return trip, just outside the cruise terminal baggage claim there will be lines of taxis to take you to FLL.

Edited by KMagz

I'd use a taxi both ways. Not expensive at all in Ft. Lauderdale and quicker than waiting for a shuttle. You're probably looking at $10-$15 from the hotel to the port and around $15 from the port to the airport.

OR Uber to the ship and taxi back to airport upon arrival-- Uber in FLL = reliable and good service

I used Uber on embarkation day and disembark day. Each fare was only $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So Uber was able to pick you UP at the port? Where did you meet it?

If you are leaving FLL on indy on the 10th or 11th or whatever, I will see you in falmouth :) I'm on the Allure departing the 8th.

We're leaving on the 14th, but heading to Mexico. Sorry we'll miss you. [emoji20]

Thank you all. Sounds like a taxi is the best bet. I read somewhere that Embassy Suites tries to stop you from using taxis. I hope that's not true.

I have stayed at the Embassy Suites several times. Never had a problem with staff or taxis. Their shuttle is $10 per person therefore for a couple a cab usually is cheaper.

We sailed the Allure two weeks ago and stayed at the Embassy Suites the night before our cruise. Our hotel package included transport to the port. The morning of the cruise we came downstairs at 9:30 am expecting to get the first shuttle at 10:30. We handed the the ticket to the attendant who promptly asked, "You ready?" We left and was at the port in 10 minutes and checked in and waiting in the Diamond line at 10:55 am. We would have boarded on time at 11:00 am BUT... The U.S. Coast Guard pulled a surprise inspection and we were delayed boarding until almost 12:00 noon. But he good news was that the Embassy Suite shuttle got us to the port quickly and early! So early that we were one of the first dozen folks in the Windjammer!!

We sailed the Allure two weeks ago and stayed at the Embassy Suites the night before our cruise. Our hotel package included transport to the port. The morning of the cruise we came downstairs at 9:30 am expecting to get the first shuttle at 10:30. We handed the the ticket to the attendant who promptly asked, "You ready?" We left and was at the port in 10 minutes and checked in and waiting in the Diamond line at 10:55 am. We would have boarded on time at 11:00 am BUT... The U.S. Coast Guard pulled a surprise inspection and we were delayed boarding until almost 12:00 noon. But he good news was that the Embassy Suite shuttle got us to the port quickly and early! So early that we were one of the first dozen folks in the Windjammer!!

Awesome!! Did you have to schedule the shuttle ahead of time?

So Uber was able to pick you UP at the port? Where did you meet it?

The only problem Uber has is many drivers won't drop you off at FLL since they aren't allowed. There are no restrictions on them coming and going from the cruise port. IIRC they just meet you at the spot for private car pickup.

The only problem Uber has is many drivers won't drop you off at FLL since they aren't allowed. There are no restrictions on them coming and going from the cruise port. IIRC they just meet you at the spot for private car pickup.

Unless something has changed since October, they are allowed but there is an extra airport fee ($4.50) and sea port fee ($2.00).

Thank you all. Sounds like a taxi is the best bet. I read somewhere that Embassy Suites tries to stop you from using taxis. I hope that's not true.

The last time we were there the concierge suggested a taxi over the shuttle. Maybe they were swamped with requests already. I hate shuttles anyway.