Upgrade Fairy

blyle

Met a new cruiser last week. She booked directly thru cruiseline and was called for an upgrade to deck 12 from 7 which she booked bcuz she gets seasick. She was assured it would be better. PS. she was sick the entire cruise and will never sail again. I have never been called for an upgrade and have 23 cruises. Is it because I know when an upgrade is not an upgrade? Any other first timers have a similar experience? Just curious!

7 cruises booked with cruise line and through travel agent and never got the call. I think I would have better luck finding a unicorn!! :D

BTW I can't believe they would tell her that higher is better, soooo not true. Much more movement up there, my wife does not like going to the spa on sea days because of the movement.

Edited by shaharis1701

Met a new cruiser last week. She booked directly thru cruiseline and was called for an upgrade to deck 12 from 7 which she booked bcuz she gets seasick. She was assured it would be better. PS. she was sick the entire cruise and will never sail again. I have never been called for an upgrade and have 23 cruises. Is it because I know when an upgrade is not an upgrade? Any other first timers have a similar experience? Just curious!

If she is a new cruiser, might she have gotten seasick on Deck 7 also ?

Our first cruise we were upgraded from interior to ocean view. Didn't know until 2-3 days prior when I happened to be double-checking everything. Called the PVP and asked as I did not wish to pay extra and was assured it was a no-cost upgrade. Nothing since then.

On our second cruise we were called about a month before. We had booked two balcony cabins with three people in each. They offered us two junior suites next to each other with obstructed views for, I think $115 more. We took the deal. That was the only time we've been called. I think it was because the junior suites only slept three and we were a good fit. We thought it was great, our first cruise was a porthole. We really thought we were coming up in the world!

Our first ever cruise was in February. The upsell fairy called me and offered to move us from an OV to a GS for $600. Didn't take it as it really wasn't much of a deal. The $600 was the difference between what we paid for our OV and the going rate of the GS.

Have another cruise coming up in October. Have fingers crossed.

Edited by MtnDweller

I got the call from the upgrade fairy on my third cruise. I can't remember the exact number but I think I paid half the difference between rooms to go to a balcony from interior. The call came 2 days before the cruise.

Years ago got a free upgrade at the port. Had to go through the complete embarkation process with someone else's documents (names crossed off and mine handwritten in) up to the pic and sign'n'sail card. Inside to an Oceanview . . . thank you again, Carnival.:)

I've never been called for an upgrade. Normally I just book the cabin I want. Breeze coming up is a Cove Balcony and there is no way I will upgrade to a regular balcony if they were to call.

Last October my cousin & I were sitting in the terminal at the Port of Baltimore waiting for CheckIn when my cell phone rang. The person asked to speak to my cousin it was a call from Carnival asking her if we wanted a free upgrade from an oceanview to a balcony, of course she said yes!!!!

• 1 month later...

Got the call today - asking $1000 to upgrade from GTY balcony to Grand Suite on the Splendor.

I politely declined but asked if they had any of the spa balconies left. She said there was one and for $100 I'll now have spa access and a room that isn't adjacent to the elevators.

We had an upsell a few years ago from an extended balcony Grand Suite to one of the Owner's Suites. The only free upgrade offer we have ever received was from a mini-suite to a full suite which we accepted. It was on the Caribbean Princess.

Maybe free upgrades to suites are a thing of the past. :(

Edited by JimAOk1945

i have cruised on carnival 10 times. on 6 of the cruises i had my kids with us and booked in an adjoining cabin. so of course no up sell. but on the 4 cruises where it was just my wife and i we received an up sell the week of the sailing on 3 of the cruises. on the cruises by ourselves i always booked a cheap room. three times in an interior, and once in an obstructed balcony. i believe the type of room you book is a factor they look at. it is easy for them to sell a generic cheap room at the last minute.

below were the offers:

pride- booked an obstructed balcony and received an up sell for a grand suite for $1500. declined the offer and kept original room.

pride- booked an interior room and received an up sell for a balcony for $250. declined the offer and kept original room.

glory- booked an interior room and received an up sell for a balcony for $250 or an aft wrap around balcony for $300. i jumped all over the aft wrap around balcony and it was incredible. especially since i kept it a secret from my wife and she walked into the room thinking it was going to be an interior room.

My first cruise was 10 years ago with my to teen girls. We got a free upgrade from ocean view to balcony or balcony suite. Suite I think. Either way, we were super excited! Maybe it was because of the odd number of passengers?

Just booked my second cruise - balcony on the Dream. Not sure what we could get upgraded to but I might take it if it is free :p

The day before yesterday I got an e-mail up sell offer for my Splendor cruise in August. $80 to go from my 4E inside on deck 7 to an Oceanview on deck 1. I didn't consider it an upgrade and didn't and didn't even reply to the e-mail. I love my inside cabins when I sail solo. I wish they would have had a 1A available when I booked.