Divorced bringing son what do I need

ARI421

Not quite true. See the link to the border patrol. I experienced this first hand coming across the border from Canada. Yes it was an odd, rare incident, but for whatever reason we got hung up until they could verify that I was telling the truth. I have traveled across borders north and south and cruised with the kids and nobody said a thing, except that one, rare time.

My advice pertains to Carnival Cruises. Land crossings are an entirely different beast. CBP has the right to detain you if they suspect something is afoul. If the child in question is old enough to answer a few simple questions there won't be an issue. The Customs officer asked my then 12 year old daughter if I was her dad. She said yes and that was it. Now if you have some tiny kid screaming and crying I want my mommy and daddy , then yes they are going to investigate more thoroughly as they should.

Edited by n6uqqq

My advice pertains to Carnival Cruises.

If CBP is not satisfied as to the circumstances of your travel they have every right to detain you until they can verify details to their satisfaction. Having a notarized letter basically makes it a non-issue.

If CBP is not satisfied as to the circumstances of your travel they have every right to detain you until they can verify details to their satisfaction. Having a notarized letter basically makes it a non-issue.

That is why it is recommended but not required. The reality is that a notorized letter doesn't really establish anything. A notary only verifies that the signee is the person stated on a document. The person who created the document can put whatever they want on it and the notary will verify that is

their name only. They don't know or care what the letter states and if it is even true. I could make up a document giving someone unknown to me permission to travel with a kid that isn't mine. The Notary would only make sure I am the person who signed it. Basically a worthless document.

That is why it is recommended but not required. The reality is that a notorized letter doesn't really establish anything. A notary only verifies that the signee is the person stated on a document. The person who created the document can put whatever they want on it and the notary will verify that is

their name only. They don't know or care what the letter states and if it is even true. I could make up a document giving someone unknown to me permission to travel with a kid that isn't mine. The Notary would only make sure I am the person who signed it. Basically a worthless document.

You're not wrong. But if you follow their guidelines you have the best chance for minimal delays.

You're not wrong. But if you follow their guidelines you have the best chance for minimal delays.

I know and the point I am trying to make is notarized letters only make people feel safer. I wasn't trying to refute you. When CBP pulled aside my 12 year old to verify I was her father, I thought it was a good thing:).

My advice pertains to Carnival Cruises. Land crossings are an entirely different beast. CBP has the right to detain you if they suspect something is afoul. If the child in question is old enough to answer a few simple questions there won't be an issue. The Customs officer asked my then 12 year old daughter if I was her dad. She said yes and that was it. Now if you have some tiny kid screaming and crying I want my mommy and daddy , then yes they are going to investigate more thoroughly as they should.

I was traveling with my 12 y/o son. In Heathrow the customs guy asked my son if he knew me and my son looked at me then at the officer and said "No, I've never seen her before in my life." I was mortified! Since I suspect he is a clone looking exactly like me the guy laughed and through we went.