Splendor Southern Caribbean Exotic Review May 7 - 15, 2016

Tracey/Thom

I really enjoyed your review! We are going on this ship in September :) I was interested in your MDR experience. Did they have the American feast on this ship or was it the regular menu? Also, did they have dessert options like Baked Alaska and Bitter's and Blanc? There was some talk yesterday on facebook that some of the better desserts were not being offered on their cruise and I am hoping on an 8 day cruise that it was not applied here. TYIA
I believe it was the regular menu, but not sure. They did have Bakes Alaska, Bitterand Blanc (my favorite), the Molten Chocolate cake, Tiramisu, Apple pie, Cheesecake and lots of other good choices. Enjoy your cruise!

Just curious what you did in this port. We're in La Romana twice this fall, but I can't seem to find any helpful suggestions as to what to do/book for this port...just a lot of negative posts along the line as stayed on ship and did laundry.

Thanks

Definitely have something booked for this port. They are in the process of remaking this port, but as of right now, it is a gated port with a few shops. Anything worth doing & seeing is beyond the gates!

Glad you enjoyed the cruise. Very nice review.

Keith

Thanks! It takes a while to get it organized in your head and then in words, wish more people would do a CC forum review when they return. I'm sure after reviewing it on the Carnival website, which is solicited the day after one returns home, then doing a formal cabin review for CC, by the time it takes to do a more informative, casual review for Forum peeps, there's no steam left!

Just wanted to let you know that on the Vista all photos taken of guests by ship photographers are now digital. They have kiosks that you can look at your pictures on or you can use the Carnival HUB App and view your pics right on your phone. No more crowding around the photo gallery scanning for pics of yourselves! You can even purchase photos from the kiosk or App and they'll be delivered to your stateroom. I would imagine this starting to roll out to other ships soon.

Other lines offer this and it's frankly long overdue on Carnival!

Just wanted to let you know that on the Vista all photos taken of guests by ship photographers are now digital. They have kiosks that you can look at your pictures on or you can use the Carnival HUB App and view your pics right on your phone. No more crowding around the photo gallery scanning for pics of yourselves! You can even purchase photos from the kiosk or App and they'll be delivered to your stateroom. I would imagine this starting to roll out to other ships soon.

Other lines offer this and it's frankly long overdue on Carnival!

AMEN TO THAT! We didn't buy the photos just because we got so annoyed at looking and searching and not finding ours. Carnival lost out on revenue. And it's not like we were busy or had a meeting we had to get to! This is great news.

Thanks for the review it comes in handy to future Splendor cruisers like myself. You mentioned you went to the spa, is there a charge for the steam room and saunas on the splendor? I enjoy using them on sea days its very relaxing.

Thanks.

Thank you for your review! We are sailing the Splendor, same itinerary, in October.

I agree with you that every cruise is a great cruise! There is so much to do and such variety of drinks and eats, how can anyone complain?! I would rather be on a cruise than at my desk at work....that in itself makes it a great cruise!

Thanks for the review it comes in handy to future Splendor cruisers like myself. You mentioned you went to the spa, is there a charge for the steam room and saunas on the splendor? I enjoy using them on sea days its very relaxing.

Thanks.

I didn't use them, so I don't know, but I'm sure there's a thread on here somewhere that addresses that issue. Have a great cruise!

We are most likely going to book this same cruise! We've been on the Splendor before and loved it. I am excited because we have not been to 3 out of the 4 ports!! Glad you enjoyed your trip. We are also people who know it will be a great vacation before we even leave the house. I can't stand when people let little things ruin their trip! It's better than being at work isnt it!?

Just curious what you did in this port. We're in La Romana twice this fall, but I can't seem to find any helpful suggestions as to what to do/book for this port...just a lot of negative posts along the line as stayed on ship and did laundry.

Thanks

Same here. We're on the Splendor this weekend!! Will be at La Romana on 6/7. Looking at taking the bus to the caves - OR - doing the Monkeyland excursion.

I really enjoyed your review! We are going on this ship in September :) I was interested in your MDR experience. Did they have the American feast on this ship or was it the regular menu? Also, did they have dessert options like Baked Alaska and Bitter's and Blanc? There was some talk yesterday on facebook that some of the better desserts were not being offered on their cruise and I am hoping on an 8 day cruise that it was not applied here. TYIA

Bartrise

Which cruise in September are you going on?

Thank you for your review! We are sailing the Splendor, same itinerary, in October.

I agree with you that every cruise is a great cruise! There is so much to do and such variety of drinks and eats, how can anyone complain?! I would rather be on a cruise than at my desk at work....that in itself makes it a great cruise!

Oh you are going to have SUCH FUN! The Curacao port area is a little touristy, filled with cruisers. Walk a little further and you'll find some nice local places, if you like that sort of thing (we do). Also, when we were getting back on the ship in Aruba, the little shops inside the building had some really good buys if you're the shopper in the family. Bought some very inexpensive (under $10)little gifts to take home (jewelry, tshirt etc.)

Oh you are going to have SUCH FUN! The Curacao port area is a little touristy, filled with cruisers. Walk a little further and you'll find some nice local places, if you like that sort of thing (we do). Also, when we were getting back on the ship in Aruba, the little shops inside the building had some really good buys if you're the shopper in the family. Bought some very inexpensive (under $10)little gifts to take home (jewelry, tshirt etc.)

Thank you! We will check it out. We can hardly wait.

What type of food does the rotisserie have? We've been on 14 cruises and have never eaten at one. Is it in the same place as the Fish and Chips on the other ships where you take the stairs up in the buffet area?

Also, what did you do on the islands and did you like it? Maybe you were going to post more and I was too impatient to wait haha.

I'd read about it before I left, and noted them on decks 6, 7, 9 and 10 I believe.

6, 7 and 10 all the way forward are the so called 'secret' decks. :) They are dark so as not to interfere with the Bridge on deck 8.

Edited by tandemcruzr

What type of food does the rotisserie have? We've been on 14 cruises and have never eaten at one. Is it in the same place as the Fish and Chips on the other ships where you take the stairs up in the buffet area?Yes, it's up the stairs (tucked away,you'll have to look for them) and there's always seating available up there! It was standard rotisserie fare -chicken, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, coleslaw, dinner rolls. It certainly was nicer than the mob at the buffet!

Also, what did you do on the islands and did you like it? Maybe you were going to post more and I was too impatient to wait haha.

I did a review on the Excursions forum I think. But we loved Aruba the most - we did the Jeep Safari on the North Coast - it was a wild ride! Grand Turk we did the Turk experience, it was rather dull, a minivan driving around (the driver was rather dull), but it's a pretty island for sure. Do you have any specific questions?

I was on the cruise just after this one. They still had the old menu and it was wonderful. However, I did ask, and they said that they would be switching to the new American Table menu sometime in June or July...pretty sure it was July.

• 4 weeks later...

Could you please tell me when the elegant (formal) nights are. Is the second elegant on the second to the last day of the cruise? I want to make reservations at the steak house and want to make sure I have the right night.

Thanks for the review!

Could you please tell me when the elegant (formal) nights are. Is the second elegant on the second to the last day of the cruise? I want to make reservations at the steak house and want to make sure I have the right night.

Thanks for the review!

On our 8 night cruise, Elegant Nights were on Sea Days. That was Day 2 and Day 7 for us (the first night we had lobster, the second Escargot and sea bass!). We ate in the Main Dining Room. You could always call Carnival, I'm sure they could tell you for sure. Hope that helps! Have a fabulous time!

• 2 weeks later...
On our 8 night cruise, Elegant Nights were on Sea Days. That was Day 2 and Day 7 for us (the first night we had lobster, the second Escargot and sea bass!). We ate in the Main Dining Room. You could always call Carnival, I'm sure they could tell you for sure. Hope that helps! Have a fabulous time!

Thank you!!