Mt Hagen Cultural experience

We are on the Voyager Dubai to Singapore in Dec. Regent just announced an excursion out of Port Moresby Papua New Guinea, going to the Mt Hagen Cultural Experience. This in NOT the annual cultural event that is listed on many sites, as a " do not miss", but rather a visit to the town, with a "traditional performance", then on to Paiagona Village for another tribal experience. The big festival takes place in August and we will be going in January. The cost is $1100/person. Does anyone know if this is worth the money and effort. It includes a flight to get there and return same day. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

We did the same cruise a couple of years ago and I recall one person taking that tour...but for the life of me, can't recall how he felt about it! We did one of the included excursions and were really happy with the photo opportunities and the range of activities - as always, I blogged about it (this post http://www.elegantsufficiency.org/blog/2012/2/29/in-the-company-of-friends.html and the next one http://www.elegantsufficiency.org/blog/2012/3/1/now-where-were-we.html )

For me, that day was enough for me to get a flavour of Papua New Guinea but possibly on a subsequent visit, I would consider the Mount Hagen tour. I hope someone here has first hand experience of it to share!

Edited by Gilly

• 2 weeks later...