seasickness patch alternatives

lindseesmom

I don't get seasick and therefore have never tried it. You may look up the benefits of ginger if you care to. If it helps with your nauseousness, that is great. The fact is, it does not prevent seasickness. Look it up.

Root ginger has been used as a preventative for motion sickness for centuries. I have looked it up. The fact is it works for us, may not work for every one and apparently you don't suffer from motion sickness so have never tried it. The OP asked for suggestions, responses from posters have been what they find helpful. We find root ginger helpful.

I take Gravol for flying. Have discovered that as long as I take it 2 hours before take off, then I am good to go.

I am Canadian so Bonine isn't sold here. I use the patches for cruising. Patches are available over the counter here. I get them at Costco. The patches work like a charm for me. The only side effect I have encountered is increased thirst. This is easily remedied on a cruise ship.

I was looking back at the original post. Since you already know the patches work for you with no problems, you may want to look into them again-- most pharmacies online seem to start around $80 for a box (4 patches). If you stretch it out a bit, that could be used for 2 seven day cruises. For me-- what I already spend to travel, $40 would be a good investment.

My last cruise was 8 days-- took off the second patch and thought "I'll be fine for 36 hours"-- that was the leg on my repo cruise going from Bermuda to New Jersey, which is apparently notorious for rough seas. Despite my having done that same route several times before without an issue, there were definitely rougher seas. I was still wearing the seabands but I did get sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Daughter swears by the wrist bands. She puts them on as we check in at the pier (she learned her lesson on a previous trip).

Staying hydrated (water, Gatoraid - not alcohol or caffeine) is an overlooked strategy.

The orientation of the bed, surprisingly, made a difference. Depending on where your cabin is located, change direction. Sister who got woozy when lying 'in-line' with the travel direction felt better when she traded beds to be 'across' the motion. Might work in reverse if you're up high, near the bow, etc. where the movement is more pronounced. Worth a try!

IMO the patches are ONLY for situations where you have some large waves and lots of motion like the Bay of Biscaye, going up to Alaska in open seas, around Cape Horn, going from Australia to New Zealand, crossing the Atlantic or Pacific. If your cruise is in the Caribbean, then most likely all you would need is Bonine and much of the time you won't even need that. Same for cruises that are strictly in the Med. For example if you were to do a Panama Canal full transit from Florida or Puerto Rico, you would not need anything until you got into the Pacific Ocean.

Nowadays, I only take Bonine in the Caribbean if I feel a lot of motion. I have it with me, but most days I really don't need it. If I'm doing an excursion on a boat or taking a water ferry that day, I take 1 Bonine in the morning and I'm good for the whole day even when everyone else on the boat is throwing up.

If you should get seasick, take a Bonine and lie down with something ice cold on the front of your neck such as a can of soda pop or a bag of ice. Doing this will immediately relieve you of your symptoms and give the Bonine the time needed to take effect - about 30 minutes. Putting something ice cold on the front of your neck will actually control that feeling of needing to vomit and lying down will mitigate the feeling that causes motion sickness. Incidentally, this technique (cold on the front of the throat) works for a lot of situations where the person may feel like vomiting and gives you some time to get the person to medical care if needed. The cold may be removed and reapplied as needed while symptoms persist.

Hi I always recommend The Motion Eaze $ 4.86, Sea Band $ 8.54 and Bonine $ 4.96 at WalMart. For me the best is the Sea Band....

I take Bonine and use Sea Bands because I am extremely prone to motion sickness. If it moves or seems to move, I can get sick (cars, buses, planes, boats, amusement park rides, you name it).

Hubby swears by Motion Eaze. He dabs a bit behind his ears and is good to go.

Another tip, don't let your stomach get empty. Seems counter-intuitive, but it works for us.

I take Bonine and use Sea Bands because I am extremely prone to motion sickness. If it moves or seems to move, I can get sick (cars, buses, planes, boats, amusement park rides, you name it).

Hubby swears by Motion Eaze. He dabs a bit behind his ears and is good to go.

Another tip, don't let your stomach get empty. Seems counter-intuitive, but it works for us.

Had to chime in again to agree with the not letting your stomach get empty! If I start to feel ill after taking Bonine due to excessive motion (as in the Allure Hurricant Cruise in February...), The first thing I did after fighting the chaos and stumbling back to my room was eat a snack - good thing I had brought granola bars and teddy graham cookies from home!

You need food in there to absorb the acid which can contribute to nausea - I personally find anything substantial which includes carbohydrates to be the most effective... So whether that be oatmeal, cereal, pastries, Pringles from the minibar, a sandwich, even a burger/fries, or eggs with toast! I personally find no relief from things like fruit or salad which don't contain any starches.

Ginger "may" be good for nausea in some cases, but that is about it. It will do nothing to prevent or do away with sea sickness. This is a fact.

The TV show "Myth Busters" tested the wrist bands, a prescription drug, and ginger, along with a few others , and a placebo. They spun their subjects in a chair modeled after the one NASA uses to test motion sickness.

Ginger was the ONLY thing that worked.