TravelScoot

TravelScoot: If you own a TravelScoot scooter, pay attention when lengthening the steering column, do not try to stretch it too far, as this will have tendency of stretching the electric, brake and control cable, then fraying them, where they pass though holes in the tubing, to the point of damage to insulation & casings, causing shorts.

Always leave a natural bow between tie points.

I had a bad habit of stretching these cables,to have tha handle bars as high as possible, and the casings cut, causing the unit to litterly DIE.

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebec city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May 2014, 7 Day, LA to Vancouver.

30th cruise - Pacific Princess, 05 - 12 Aug. 2014, 7 Days, Vancouver RT, Alaska

31st cruise - Golden Princess, 13 - 17 Oct. 2014, 4 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT,

32nd cruise - Crown Princess, 20 - 27 Dec. 2014, 7 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT.

33rd cruise - Coral Princess, 27Apr. - 02 May.2015, 5 Days, LA - Vancouver, Repo

34th cruise - Coral Princess, 10 - 14 May. 2016, 4 Days, LA - Vancouver, Repo

Edited by Donna’sMom&Dad

• 2 weeks later...

I became interested in this product when given a link to the website by a friend. Did you buy this directly from the website without seeing it or trying it out first? Did that experience turn out ok for you? Would you recommend this product? We are hesitant to spend $2500 for a product we can't test drive first.

Any helpful information is much appreciated. TYIA :)

Karen

I became interested in this product when given a link to the website by a friend. Did you buy this directly from the website without seeing it or trying it out first? Did that experience turn out ok for you? Would you recommend this product? We are hesitant to spend $2500 for a product we can't test drive first.

Karen

Personally do not own a travelscoot but there are 2 options to try one out before purchasing .

Call the company and ask if there's anyone near you that might be willing to let you check theirs out. 1-800-342-2214

OR

Rent one for a trial period http://travelscootrentals.com/index.html If it were me I'd asked the question if any part of the rental cost would be applied toward purchase price ?

Edited by xxoocruiser

Personally do not own a travelscoot but there are 2 options to try one out before purchasing .

Call the company and ask if there's anyone near you that might be willing to let you check theirs out. 1-800-342-2214

OR

Rent one for a trial period http://travelscootrentals.com/index.html If it were me I'd asked the question if any part of the rental cost would be applied toward purchase price ?

Great advice, I'm pursuing both options. :) Thanks for replying, this section of Cruise Critic has been a wealth of information for me!

Karen

I purchased my Travelscoot a few years ago after reading about it on cruise critic. I did not get to try it out before buying it but don't regret the purchase at all. I use it mostly for travel and it's ideal to take right up to the door of the plane and I can put it in a car by myself or with a little bit of assistance. Removing the battery helps. Would purchase it again.

Wendy

Karen

Try this web site, for renting prior to buying. :rolleyes:

http://www.scootanywhere.com/?gclid=CL-R45PVqs0CFRSUfgod9I4Erw

I have had two, first without back up, then one with, been happy with both, especially for cruising. :D

It is worth the money.:rolleyes:

I purchased my Travelscoot a few years ago after reading about it on cruise critic. I did not get to try it out before buying it but don't regret the purchase at all. I use it mostly for travel and it's ideal to take right up to the door of the plane and I can put it in a car by myself or with a little bit of assistance. Removing the battery helps. Would purchase it again.

Wendy

Thank you for your response, Wendy. We are thinking of renting one first and giving it a test run on our upcoming cruise. We have rented scooters in the past, but the Travelscoot would be delivered to our home, so that we would be able to use it through the airport, at the hotel, and then onboard the ship. That would be better than just having it for the cruise .

Try this web site, for renting prior to buying. :rolleyes:

I have had two, first without back up, then one with, been happy with both, especially for cruising. :D

Thank you, Cato, I'll bookmark that website for a rental! :)

Again, thanks to both of you!

Try this web site' date=' for renting prior to buying. :rolleyes:

Cato :)[/quote']

Thank you, Cato, I'll bookmark that website for a rental! :)

Again, thanks to both of you!

Important to note that the scootanywhere no longer rents the Travelscoot. It now just rents the SMARTSCOOT which is not the same scooter and made by a totally different manufacturer. That's not to say it's not worth checking out but OP needs to know the Travelscoot is NOT the same as the Smartscoot.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Important to note that the scootanywhere no longer rents the Travelscoot. It now just rents the SMARTSCOOT which is not the same scooter and made by a totally different manufacturer. That's not to say it's not worth checking out but OP needs to know the Travelscoot is NOT the same as the Smartscoot.

Thanks, I had thought that was the case. I'll keep it in mind. :)

Try, ;)

<www.travelscootcanada.com>

Karen

Try to find a TravelScoot owner somewhere near you. We are generally a friendly and helpful bunch, and most are more than willing to let you test drive their TS. There are also on-line and Facebook groups for TravelScooters, where prospective owners are welcome.

I see above, about using the Travelscoot right up to the door of the plane, and of course I have seen the videos online about doing that too.

But has anyone done that in the past couple of months?

I understand that international laws regarding lithium batteries on planes were changed on 1 April, and there seems to be some confusion over Travelscoot batteries now.

We are travelling to Europe later this year, and were advised we couldn't take any scooter with a lithium battery after 1 April.

However Etihad Air said the Travelscoot would be OK (I sent them the various data sheets from the TRavelscoot website).

We have decided against taking it, and will hire a portable scooter before we board our cruise in Venice. We will be using 4 different airlines and even if we were armed with approval letters from all of them, I would be so anxious that an official wouldn't let it on the plane.

Anyone got any definitive knowledge or advice?

Edited by jobry

Karen

Karen, if you've not yet made a purchase decision by late January, you're welcome to test drive my TS when we cruise together on Harmony. :) Note - I will not have the backrest with me, and I will probably still have the older model. It has no reverse gear, a belt-driven motor, a few other differences.

OTOH, if you have a TS by then, we can have late-night races down the promenade, :eek::D

I see above, about using the Travelscoot right up to the door of the plane, and of course I have seen the videos online about doing that too.

But has anyone done that in the past couple of months?

I understand that international laws regarding lithium batteries on planes were changed on 1 April, and there seems to be some confusion over Travelscoot batteries now.

We are travelling to Europe later this year, and were advised we couldn't take any scooter with a lithium battery after 1 April.

However Etihad Air said the Travelscoot would be OK (I sent them the various data sheets from the TRavelscoot website).

We have decided against taking it, and will hire a portable scooter before we board our cruise in Venice. We will be using 4 different airlines and even if we were armed with approval letters from all of them, I would be so anxious that an official wouldn't let it on the plane.

Anyone got any definitive knowledge or advice?

Hoverboards ( which are not mobility scooters) with lithium batteries have been banned from being brought on board for both domestic and international flights as there has been incidents where the battery has short circuited and started on fire.

Not aware of any international law banning mobility scooters and or wheelchairs that have an lithium ion battery from being boarded on an aircraft. According to USA FAA ( Federal Aviation Adminstration) for all USA aircrafts ( which includes US aircrafts that operate both domestically and internationally) the lithium battery size for the scooter and or wheelchair is limited is limited to 300 watt hours (Wh) or 25 grams equivalent lithium content (ELC). One spare battery not exceeding 300 Wh or two spare batteries not exceeding 160 Wh (13.5 grams ELC) each may be carried in carry-on baggage.

The Lithium ion batteries must be removed from this type of mobility device and battery terminals to protect from a short circuit occurring. The lithium ion batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only. The passenger must advise the airline of the battery location. The airline must notify the Pilot-in-command of the battery location in the cabin.

Though this is the USA FAA regulation it does not necessarily transfer to non-USA owned aircarriers with flights originating outside of the USA. In this case you have to check with each airlines for its specific policy. Non USA Air Carriers can and do set their own policy regarding the size limit of the lithium ion battery allowed. Suggest you read this link on Travelscoot's website - https://www.travelscoot.com/airlines-airports-countries.html

Edited by xxoocruiser

Ok we fly from Washington DC to London in April, I have a TravelScoot with 2 lithium Ion Batteries. On the leg from Washington to London we fly Virgin Atlanta. They were very nice. I drove the scooter right to the door, then I expected them to gate check, no they had me break it down, and they stored it and the batteries in the cabin.

We fly home from Amsterdam on KLM Airlines. This was a different story. When we were checking in, they asked me about my scooter, and the batteries, they then said no problem. When we were getting ready to board they ask about the batteries again (I had already spoken to KLM BEFORE I BOOK THE FLIGHT, and had an email from them saying the batteries were ok), they said no problem. I took both batteries on the plane and stored them in the cabin. Before the plan takes off, a ground crew members comes back to our seats and tells us we can't have the batteries in the cabin, they need to go with the scooter. I told him it was my understanding they should stay in the cabin, I had a lot of paperwork to show him, but he takes the batteries and leaves. Ok about 2 hours into the flight one of the stewardess comes back and says the Captian has questions on why I brought the batteries in the cabin, and he wanted to see the email from corporate. I ask what is going on, I was then told that the captain had filed an incident report with corporate. I show her the email, and she asked if she could show the email to the Captain, along with any other paperwork. She takes the phone, she finally comes back over an hour later. She tells me the Captain is sorry for all the confusion, and yes it was fine to have the batteries.

If you fly overseas make sure you get something written from Corporate. It seems that a lot of people really don't know what is allowed, and what is not.

If you fly overseas make sure you get something written from Corporate. It seems that a lot of people really don't know what is allowed, and what is not.

Yes, the problem seems to because the IATA regulations changed on 1 April 2016, so there is still some confusion over them.

The lithium battery issues started with the ones on things like hover boards, but the new regs seem to cover all lithium batteries to some extent - and its all so complicated. The fact sheet for consumers, for example, talks about batteries for wheelchairs and similar (if allowed) having to be charged to a maximum of 30% only .....

And there is mention of the Captain's word being final - I am afraid of being told my scooter cannot go on the plane and that's that (or rather, the battery cannot go) - being told that whilst half way through our holiday on the other side of the world would cause all sorts of stress and problems.

Yes, the problem seems to because the IATA regulations changed on 1 April 2016, so there is still some confusion over them.

The lithium battery issues started with the ones on things like hover boards, but the new regs seem to cover all lithium batteries to some extent - and its all so complicated. The fact sheet for consumers, for example, talks about batteries for wheelchairs and similar (if allowed) having to be charged to a maximum of 30% only .....

And there is mention of the Captain's word being final - I am afraid of being told my scooter cannot go on the plane and that's that (or rather, the battery cannot go) - being told that whilst half way through our holiday on the other side of the world would cause all sorts of stress and problems.

Have you considered purchasing the 17-pound sealed lead-acid (SLA) battery which Travelscoot sells on it's website ? This might actually be more cost effective than renting a scooter for you cruise. The Sealed lead-acid battery does not present the same concerned for the airlines.

Have you considered purchasing the 17-pound sealed lead-acid (SLA) battery which Travelscoot sells on it's website ? This might actually be more cost effective than renting a scooter for you cruise. The Sealed lead-acid battery does not present the same concerned for the airlines.

Oh, no I hadn't thought about that - so thanks for the suggestion. I will investigate further!