Solos on World Cruises?

JohnS43

Probably a foolish question, but are there ever any solo discounts on world cruises or some lengthy "exotic" trips? I was looking at Princess's world cruise the other day and while I could afford the time (it's 111 days!) and the money for half the full fare, the full (double) price is pretty outrageous.

Probably a foolish question, but are there ever any solo discounts on world cruises or some lengthy "exotic" trips? I was looking at Princess's world cruise the other day and while I could afford the time (it's 111 days!) and the money for half the full fare, the full (double) price is pretty outrageous.

You may want to look at Crystal in the next few years.....I hear they will be phasing out their great solo supplements (30%-75%), but ask a travel agent about their lengthy world cruises. Their solo rates are capacity capped (they only offer a certain amount, so you need to reserve quickly before they're gone), but the value is terrific.

You may not consider a Scandinavia, Russia, Iceland and Greenland cruise to be long enough or exotic enough, but Holland America's Zuiderdam has a 29 day Copenhagen to New York leaving this August with a 25% supplement. It's about $5600 including taxes for an inside, or just under $200 a day. OV, balconies and suites also 25% supplement.

There's also the Emerald Princess 48 day leaving this September 28th from London, ending in Sydney going through the Suez Canal for about $8600 with tax (inside), and is about the same per day as the Zuiderdam. The 41 and 46 day sailings from London are sold out so there may not be that many cabins available.

You may not consider a Scandinavia, Russia, Iceland and Greenland cruise to be long enough or exotic enough, but Holland America's Zuiderdam has a 29 day Copenhagen to New York leaving this August with a 25% supplement. It's about $5600 including taxes for an inside, or just under $200 a day. OV, balconies and suites also 25% supplement.

There's also the Emerald Princess 48 day leaving this September 28th from London, ending in Sydney going through the Suez Canal for about $8600 with tax (inside), and is about the same per day as the Zuiderdam. The 41 and 46 day sailings from London are sold out so there may not be that many cabins available.

Thanks for that info! The first cruise sounded great, but unfortunately I'm not available for its departure date. And there's only one sailing. I checked for 2017 and they'll be doing it again, but no discounts yet. But maybe closer to the sailing date they'll start offering discounts again.

The second one sounds like a great itinerary, too, but definitely no solo discount on that one. For a cruise that long, I'd probably want a suite (I don't think I could take one of those cramped showers for nearly two months!) And the suites are pretty pricey.

Princess is one of the cruise lines I avoid because they always charge 200% for solo cruisers. If you don't have to have a balcony you could do a world cruise on Holland America for about 160-175% of the per person, double occupancy fare in ocean view or inside cabins. Cunard will charge 175% for inside, ocean view, or balcony.