Room 4129 on Niew Amsterdam?

Hello,

This is our first cruise (sailing 11th June) and my husband and I booked a VE category type of room. We received an email today that we have been upgraded to room 4129 (VA) however I'm seeing conflicting views online regarding how good (larger balcony) or bad ( no privacy & Lifeboats blocking view) this room really is.

Appreciate I could get some advise regarding whether we keep this room or ask for a downgrade OR sop around for an upgrade?

Thanks

Heena

Appreciate I could get some advise regarding whether we keep this room or ask for a downgrade OR sop around for an upgrade?
I would definitely keep it. We once had Eurodam 4130 and could see some of the 4132 balcony, but could tell that there was a part of that was private. The balcony is huge (about 14 feet deep). The lifeboat next to it blocks the view less than a solid partition does on any other balcony. In fact I think you get a better forward view. Location is great too IMHO, near elevators and at the MDR end of the ship!

I think it's far better than what HAL considers the next higher step, the deck 5 V cabins (5053 to 5138) which have a very small balcony (4.5 foot) and are right above the lifeboats.

Edited by catl331

I agree with the above post.

While this is not a completely uncompromised balcony, it has a LOT going for it. You don't get the panoramic view because of the blocking on the forward side, but for a VE booking I think this is great.

You don't get the panoramic view because of the blocking on the forward side, ...
Sure you do, if you're out at the railing on the end, just like any balcony that has a partition on both sides. The lifeboat doesn't stick out beyond the outer railing ... or not significantly anyway.

Edited by jtl513

Just be aware that the cabins above you can see everything on your balcony other than the area just outside your verandah door. Once you walk out toward the railing, you are in full view. (We were once in a verandah guarantee directly above this large verandah and I thought to myself that I would not enjoy the extra space due to the lack of privacy.)

Hello,

This is our first cruise (sailing 11th June) and my husband and I booked a VE category type of room. We received an email today that we have been upgraded to room 4129 (VA) however I'm seeing conflicting views online regarding how good (larger balcony) or bad ( no privacy & Lifeboats blocking view) this room really is.

Thanks

Heena

We had 4054 on the Nieuw Amsterdam ("kitty corner" to your room) on a Nov 2015 cruise and I really liked it. There is a lot of space on the balcony and it did not bother me that some folks on upper decks could see parts of our balcony - that seems to be true for a lot of the balconies. The life boat is close by but it does not really block any views since the balcony extends past the lifeboat. We had 3 lounges, 1 chair with ottoman, and a small drink table and there was still lots of space left. Here are a couple of pictures -

1588365770_PC010018CCcrop.jpg.cafb34a00c6de5afcf5c8978a5f6b63b.jpg

2015661805_PC010021CCcrop.jpg.bdacfb0df3abe15563212e19021088f6.jpg

We had 4054 on the Nieuw Amsterdam ("kitty corner" to your room) on a Nov 2015 cruise and I really liked it. There is a lot of space on the balcony and it did not bother me that some folks on upper decks could see parts of our balcony - that seems to be true for a lot of the balconies. The life boat is close by but it does not really block any views since the balcony extends past the lifeboat. We had 3 lounges, 1 chair with ottoman, and a small drink table and there was still lots of space left. Here are a couple of pictures -

Thanks for posting those photos. They show that balcony extremely well.