Maasdam in Anchorage

midwest 852

I'm in Homer right now, in a rental house on the top of the bluff with clear sight view across Cook Inlet, so as long as it stays clear, I'll be able to see you sail down to Homer later tonight. Gorgeous weather here for the past 10 days - hope it holds out for you tomorrow! Unfortunately, we leave tomorrow morning to head back to Anchorage so won't be able to see you docking. Enjoy the rest of your cruise - particularly the sail in and sail out of Homer - gorgeous scenery.

Icy Straight Point is my least favorite port in Alaska! When we were there there was no wifi, took bus to town but there was nothing there, no excursions we were able to do. That was a few years ago, so hoping it is better now!

Still don't like permade sandwiches but the salads are really good.

Where were the premade sandwiches located? Just asking so I know where to avoid them. We are on HAL for the first time in August so I'm not familiar with the ship.

Thanks!

We did this cruise on the Amsterdam six years ago. Loved the cruise up the Cook Inlet to Anchorage and the ports of Homer and Kodiak. The Amsterdam itinerary did not go to Icy Strait.

We'll be on the Maasdam for the first time in early August. I hope you will have time to do a review when you get home. We still have not planned any excursions!

1/2 thru the cruise wonderful weather.

Dock at icy point is not good for anyone in a wheel chair. The path to the cannery is gravel.

Still don't like permade sandwiches but the salads are really good.

The dock is new, ISP had been a tender port until this year.

I was there last year and in 2004. I had previously been into town so I knew better than to do it again. I enjoyed the walk through the rain forest and watching the people do the zip line. There was free internet around the base of the zip line area.

I am interested to know the condition of the Maasdam and other ship-related information. I've heard a lot of scare stories in the recent past about the Maasdam's A/C problems and I have had some issues on my sailings. Still it is a very nice ship and the last true S-class ship since the Veendam was trashed in 2009.