What to expect on our first Caribbean Cruise?

For some background: We have cruised twice (or is it 4 times) in the last 9 years. A back to back on the Serenade from Alaska to San Diego and then the Sapphire Princess on the same route.

As they say, go big or go home, so we are sailing on the Navigator 11 night cruise over Christmas/New Years this year. I spent 5 weeks in the Cayman Islands courtesy of the military nearly 30 years ago but that is the extent of my Caribbean experience.

So what can we expect on such a cruise? Weather wise will it be cooler than normal, currency on the various islands we visit etc. Its going to be a whole new experience for us and I expect it to lead to more frequent cruising for us if it meets our needs.

What are our needs I hear you ask. Well they are simple, a cold beer or three and maybe a fancy cocktail now and then. Not foodies as long as I can still get a decent steak in Chops.

I know there is a ton of experience with Caribbean cruising on this forum so maybe people can chime in with what we have to look forward to.

The weather in the Caribbean is pretty much the same year round. Might not be as humid as the summer, but it will still be "shorts" weather!!

Caribbean cruises are laid-back vacations. Relaxing, with gorgeous scenery and clear, blue waters! Nice!

Leave your heavy jacket at home. :) You are familiar with the drink package. You will be glad for the break from winter. Your ports will probably have a Diamonds International. Avoid them. There are some nice local shops to check out.

What are the ports you stop at?

Generally, the weather that time of year will be very pleasant - a little cooler than in the summer months, but still warm. You'll definitely have access to cold beer and/or tropical drinks.

Navigator will be a bit bigger than the Serenade, and will have the Royal Promenade in the middle, where the shops and a couple bars will be. I really like the ship's with a Royal Promenade. It's bright and extends several deck high, so it feels very open. (I've heard others who don't like it, and feel it's too mall-like. You'll have a chance to decide for yourself.)

Enjoy!