What to wear in June in the Mediterranean

I just found this board. Here's what I posted a few days ago on the Oceania board. Still having hard time figuring out what to wear at night when temperatures are in the upper '60's but it's June.

I think only someone who lives in a generally hot climate can appreciate this question.

We are from South Florida, and while it's not hot 100% of the time, when it gets below 70 we tend to pull out our boots and sweaters.

We've only done Caribbean cruises to tropical climates so packing cruise wear meant packing tropical sun dresses and for evening, those long dresses that expose the arms and neck.

Checking the weather for our Mediterranean cruise coming up, while the days may be warm, we are mindful of dressing appropriately for visiting churches and cathedrals.

What I am struggling with is what to pack for dinners and nights while in Rome for three days pre-cruise when it's supposed to be in the 60's and for dinners and nights on the Riviera during the cruise where the port temperatures are also showing it will be cool (to us, cold).

I think I know what country club casual looks like, but country club casual here in south Florida when the temperatures are in the mid to upper sixties is very different than I imagined what I would wear on a cruise. Obviously I will bring a pretty jacket or nice swearer and wrap, but surely I'm still dressing for spring and not winter??

What type of outfits do you advise me to bring? What do ladies wear on a cruise at night in the Med where temperatures are cooler in June?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We live in Central FL and I also get chilly when it is below 70.

Having been to Europe a good number of times, and Italy the most of all, I can say that in Italy they dress for the season and not the temps.

Are you a pants person or a dress person? Are you planning to dine casually in Rome or go to nicer places?

For June, I would pack a pair of fitted ponte knit black slacks (or a pencil skirt) that I could wear with a variety of tops. This will work on Oceania as well.

Leggings were everywhere in Italy this season and I always pack a few for travel and pair them with tunics for day wear. I also have nicer weight leggings that I wear with a jersey top for the evenings on board. Mix and match works well. I always pack a simple 3/4 sleeve wrap dress that I can dress up or down.

I like Eva Varro and Sympli for my travel wardrobe as they pack wonderfully and come in great styles and colors. Dillards carries the brand in FL.

Enjoy! Italy is wonderful and we really enjoyed our cruise on O in the Med.

For the pre cruise time in Rome it might be warmer in the evening then you may think. This is because heat trapped in all the buildings during the day will be released at night and keep things warmer. So having short sleeves on some things that you can wear your nice sweater/jacket over is a good plan. Then if it is too warm it can be removed.

I have been in Rome late June and early July and found it very pleasant. Coming from Perth I love hot weather and try to avoid cold weather.

Heat is what I am used to here as well and anything in the 60's is cold to me.

I live in Ft Lauderdale and know what you mean! I've been in Rome a few times in the second half of June and the evenings do get cool, but not too cold; in fact, I didn't notice any chill until the sun was going down. A lightweight long sleeve knit is all you need, or even sleeveless with a lightweight knit cardigan. A thin decorative scarf can add another layer if needed.

These are my favorite black travel pants, INC from Macy's:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/inc-international-concepts-curvy-fit-pull-on-bootcut-ponte-pants-only-at-macys?ID=2236018&CategoryID=3481#fn=DEPARTMENT_TYPE%3DPants%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D55%26ruleId%3D65|BS|BA%26slotId%3D1

They are long (even the S length) so allow time to hem them if you aren't tall. If you are between sizes, the smaller size will fit. I wish they came in other colors! They are the weight that you would want for Florida winter evenings.

The cobblestone street can be tough to walk on, so bring shoes that are easy to walk in, like flats or low wedges or booties.

Edited by royalcruz

Rome retains heat because of all those white marble and granite ruins. Do remember that many restaurants are not air conditioned but these days most hotels are. That said, it seems Italians, and Romans particuarly, firmly believe that a cool breeze will cause all sorts of ills. It can be 90°F out and someone will still argue with you about opening an un-air conditioned bus's window. I would take along a linen sweater or cardigan with enough heft to it that you would feel comfortable wearing it if it is 70 in the evenings or a thicker cotton knit cardigan or full zip but try and go with a neutral or a summer color so black, flax, navy or any number of colors that go with what else you are taking. In Rome you could easily wear white jeans to black slacks or pants and top them with brighter light weight cotton twin sets.

Where are you staying in Rome? I've heard but not been back to verify it that some utdoor cafes and restaurants have added heat lamps so those may help also. Definitely pack for summer!