Getaway review with pictures May 22-29

tropical83

The Getaway really is a great ship and I would definitely recommend it!

I will admit that there were many things the ship had to offer that we didn't experience. We kept saying we would get around to trying the water slide, playing mini golf, maybe doing the ropes coarse, maybe going to a comedy show etc. I don't really regret not doing those things so I guess that is a good thing!

As a previous 2 time Carnival cruiser, I will say that I loved Norwegian! I would still sail Carnival again but I don't think I would want to sail any of their older ships. There were some things that I liked better on Carnival but I still think my overall cruise experience was better on Norwegian. At first my husband wouldn't really give me an answer when I asked him which cruise line he liked better. About a week after the cruise he randomly said out of no where, "Norwegian was better"

As you know this was our friends first cruise. We are the ones that talked them into trying a cruise so I was really hoping they would like it. I'm happy to say they loved it and they can't wait to cruise again. Hopefully we can plan one again together for next year. I'd love to sail the Escape!

I saw the same thing! Some people are just rude and inconsiderate. The crew often works without a day off, spending months away from their families, and don't deserve attitude from people who can't wait two minutes for a drink.

I know! But sadly I guess there will always be people like that around.

The Getaway really is a great ship and I would definitely recommend it!

I will admit that there were many things the ship had to offer that we didn't experience. We kept saying we would get around to trying the water slide, playing mini golf, maybe doing the ropes coarse, maybe going to a comedy show etc. I don't really regret not doing those things so I guess that is a good thing!

As a previous 2 time Carnival cruiser, I will say that I loved Norwegian! I would still sail Carnival again but I don't think I would want to sail any of their older ships. There were some things that I liked better on Carnival but I still think my overall cruise experience was better on Norwegian. At first my husband wouldn't really give me an answer when I asked him which cruise line he liked better. About a week after the cruise he randomly said out of no where, "Norwegian was better"

As you know this was our friends first cruise. We are the ones that talked them into trying a cruise so I was really hoping they would like it. I'm happy to say they loved it and they can't wait to cruise again. Hopefully we can plan one again together for next year. I'd love to sail the Escape!

Well done on a great review that really brought me back to the ship! The Escape is on my short list for our next cruise as well. Anyway, you've inspired me to write a detailed review on our Getaway cruise from March so keep your eyes open to this forum, where I hope to start one during the next few days.

Well done on a great review that really brought me back to the ship! The Escape is on my short list for our next cruise as well. Anyway, you've inspired me to write a detailed review on our Getaway cruise from March so keep your eyes open to this forum, where I hope to start one during the next few days.

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed my review.

And I look forward to reading yours!

We didn't get to bed until after 3 am. And we had an excursion the next morning and an 8:15 am tender booked. Oops.

May I ask how you booked the 8:15 am tender. We will have a private excursion in Belize and will need the get off the ship as early as possible. Thank you!

I just got off the Breakaway (Love!).. Already thinking what is next.. I had to stop and tell you I found my answer to the swelling. It is just as bad for me as you.. Just feet, ankles and a bit up my legs.. It must be the salt and it only happens to me on cruises. Not land based on hot humid islands.. Never fingers, hands. The damn feet. I bought herbal water pills at CVS.. No caffeine. Did they help? Not sure, stopped taking them. I did buy a small water package for the room, maybe it helped?

The key! One of the heavy life jackets found under the bed we placed under the mattress on my side.. I had no choice but to sleep with them raised, actually comfortable. Almost all swelling went down every night.. It would slowly swell the next day, all down with sleep. I was so happy, The past three cruises have been quite a pain with how uncomfortable I became. It disappeared within a day of eating my normal home cooked food..

I also rubbed my feet and legs with Burts Bees peppermint foot lotion, just felt good.. Maybe helped? You can try dry brushing as well..

I just got off the Breakaway (Love!).. Already thinking what is next.. I had to stop and tell you I found my answer to the swelling. It is just as bad for me as you.. Just feet, ankles and a bit up my legs.. It must be the salt and it only happens to me on cruises. Not land based on hot humid islands.. Never fingers, hands. The damn feet. I bought herbal water pills at CVS.. No caffeine. Did they help? Not sure, stopped taking them. I did buy a small water package for the room, maybe it helped?

The key! One of the heavy life jackets found under the bed we placed under the mattress on my side.. I had no choice but to sleep with them raised, actually comfortable. Almost all swelling went down every night.. It would slowly swell the next day, all down with sleep. I was so happy, The past three cruises have been quite a pain with how uncomfortable I became. It disappeared within a day of eating my normal home cooked food..

I also rubbed my feet and legs with Burts Bees peppermint foot lotion, just felt good.. Maybe helped? You can try dry brushing as well..

Kind of funny, we just got home from a AZ Diamondback vs Marlins baseball game and now I find your review! Great review by the way. I love pictorial reviews and yours was a good mix of info and photos. Thanks!

This is the best advice I give anyone with dependent edema---elevating the legs. Putting extra pillows under the legs when lying down, and when sitting in a lounger, roll some towels and place under feet to elevate legs.

We didn't get to bed until after 3 am. And we had an excursion the next morning and an 8:15 am tender booked. Oops.

May I ask how you booked the 8:15 am tender. We will have a private excursion in Belize and will need the get off the ship as early as possible. Thank you!

You are able to book tenders in your room on the TV. We did it as soon as we were able to go to our room!

Great review

Enjoyed the photos

Planning my next cruise

Very helpful

Thanks, I'm glad I was helpful!

Loved your review, pics and info- thanks for taking the time to post. Now if October would hurry up and get here!

Thanks for reading! Have a great cruise in October!

Thanks for the tips! I will for sure be more prepared next time I cruise and try the herbal water pills. I'll also try and stay away from the soups or too much sodium. I skipped the main dining room 2 days in a row, so no soup, and my swelling wasn't as bad after this.

Kind of funny, we just got home from a AZ Diamondback vs Marlins baseball game and now I find your review! Great review by the way. I love pictorial reviews and yours was a good mix of info and photos. Thanks!

Thanks, I'm glad you liked my review!

Great Review @tropical83

I'm going on the getaway in March 2017. I've been trying to keeps tabs on Harvest Caye. I read on here that their trying to make the island kind of like Grand Turk. Where you have to pay for everything ...doesn't make any sense to me. Cruise private islands (Half moon Cay + Labadee) are usually all inclusive where they offer a buffet and drinks can be charged to your room...or free if you have the UBP. If you search, there's a thread somewhere on here that has all the rumor. It's really just that, until NCL puts the info out there.

OP - Awesome Review! I'm really enjoying it

What is your sail date in March? We depart on the 12th.

• 5 weeks later...
After the party calmed down we made our way to the bar and hung out there and talked with the bartender Joao. Once the Spice H20 bar closed we headed inside and ended up at Bliss night club again lol. Stayed there for a while, went back to our room and ordered some room service pizza. Again, enjoyed the balcony while waiting for the pizza then ate it out there as well. I love having a balcony so much! This was another really late night, we didn't go to bed until about 3:30am! Its hard to want to go to bed when you are enjoying yourself so much and you know your cruise is coming to an end.

Our towel animal for the night

IMG_4832_zpsi4eshbys.jpg

IMG_4833_zpsjkbxovat.jpg

That's the cutest towel animal I've ever seen!

At some point during the day my husband brought me this drink. I don't know what it was called but it was SO GOOD. After my first sip I thought why didn't I try this drink earlier? But then again maybe it was a good thing that I didn't. I don't even want to know how many calories were in it!

IMG_4860_zps1idg7ui7.jpg

Anyways we stayed at Spice H20 until almost 6pm then went to get ready for the night.

IMG_4862_zpsealg0lpb.jpg

That's a mudslide and no you really don't want to know the calories, lol!

Thanks so much for your great review! We are doing back to back cruise on the Getaway next October, transatlantic followed by your cruise. So excited! The ports look fab. Glad you had a wonderful time and thanks for sharing.:)

Edited by PlutoRocks

• 3 months later...