active kids on Voyager of the Seas

Later this year I'm going on VoS with DD8. DD is very intent on ship-board entertainment and we might not go ashore on the port days (unless they tender and we can enjoy a boat ride).

What are the hours of the kids club for 6-8yos? Do they close the kids club for lunch on port days or have a child lunch service for parents who go on shore excursions without their kids?

Do they have an evening break for the kids club?

Is the kids club open on embarkation day?

Which of mini-golf, flowrider, and rock climbing have the longest queues? Are the queues for those things shorter on embarkation day? I'd like DD to do as many of these things as possible but she may refuse to leave the kids club when it's running.

Any suggestions for kids who want to do all the fun things and sleep as little as possible?

don't forget the ice-skating :) offered most days

I didn't forget, it's one of the best things about the ship! But I expect that as you can fit dozens of people on an ice rink there won't be any queues.

What are the options for eating at the ice rink? Is there food supplied there? Can you order "room service" delivered to the rink? Is it viable to make a packed lunch from the buffet, collect DD from the kids club, and then eat at the ice rink?

I'd like to have a lunch option that doesn't require DD taking her skates off.

I didn't forget, it's one of the best things about the ship! But I expect that as you can fit dozens of people on an ice rink there won't be any queues.

What are the options for eating at the ice rink? Is there food supplied there? Can you order "room service" delivered to the rink? Is it viable to make a packed lunch from the buffet, collect DD from the kids club, and then eat at the ice rink?

I'd like to have a lunch option that doesn't require DD taking her skates off.

On all the ships I have been on with friends and grandkids the Ice skating usually allows 50 people per session. You arrive, sign up, skate, and after the session is over you leave the ice. You can then skate another session, if it is available. Sessions last one hour.

There is no food or drink. You are in a theater.......there is a bar outside, but not sure of the hours. Drinks are waiter served prior to the ice show, not open skating.

Skates, pads and helmets are provided and have to be removed as you come off the ice. She would definitely have to remove the skates.

Room service delivers to your room only.

Skating is not all day open skating. There are usually a few sessions which are posted in the cruise compass. Most cruises I have been on have them in the morning - maybe three mornings on a 7 day cruise.

Make sure your daughter has long pants and socks. Will not be allowed to skate without them.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

there can be queues for the ice rink and as grandma dazzles said the sessions last for an hour. No food. The hours are limited too so the rink is not available all day.

Sounds like your dd will love the kids club - they often take them to lunch as well and they do have evening sessions. They give them their own activity schedule every day based on age so she will be able to choose the activities she wants to do the night before (including discos, shuffleboard, basketball, competitions, craft, treasure hunts etc) It is a bit like a mini cruise compass but for the kids. Perhaps someone can post some examples for her age group. (my dd is now 19)

You usually have to sign them in and out and she will probably make some friends.

re a lunch option that doesn't involve taking skates off, I guess you could order room service and take it down there or take plates from the windjammer or park cafe. Personally I find it gets a bit cold there after a while so enjoy a break up on deck

If you want to tire her out, a number of laps around the running track might help :)

Edited by lucymorgan

On all the ships I have been on with friends and grandkids the Ice skating usually allows 50 people per session. You arrive, sign up, skate, and after the session is over you leave the ice. You can then skate another session, if it is available. Sessions last one hour.

There is no food or drink. You are in a theater.......there is a bar outside, but not sure of the hours. Drinks are waiter served prior to the ice show, not open skating.

Skates, pads and helmets are provided and have to be removed as you come off the ice. She would definitely have to remove the skates.

Room service delivers to your room only.

Skating is not all day open skating. There are usually a few sessions which are posted in the cruise compass. Most cruises I have been on have them in the morning - maybe three mornings on a 7 day cruise.

Make sure your daughter has long pants and socks. Will not be allowed to skate without them.

Great info.....

Also if the ship is rocking ice skating is off, not an event to plan on.

I'd call RCI to get more info about kids club times on VOS.

It's a little disappointing that skating is 1 hour sessions, but it's good that I know it in advance. DD doesn't cope well with surprises.

I'll get a copy of the kids club schedule as soon as we board. She probably won't plan things ahead (it's not the way she works) but she wants to know in advance what the options are.

It's quite likely that she would never leave the kids club without encouragement. But I'll try and get her to use the all the entertainment options.

I'll contact RCI about the schedule and comment here.

Thanks everyone!

It's a little disappointing that skating is 1 hour sessions, but it's good that I know it in advance. DD doesn't cope well with surprises.

I'll get a copy of the kids club schedule as soon as we board. She probably won't plan things ahead (it's not the way she works) but she wants to know in advance what the options are.

It's quite likely that she would never leave the kids club without encouragement. But I'll try and get her to use the all the entertainment options.

I'll contact RCI about the schedule and comment here.

Thanks everyone!

My grandkids are skaters and were able to sign up for consecutive sessions without difficulty. This was on the Oasis.

Quite honestly I think one hour is plenty of time. Not sure what you are looking for. It's a small rink and you are just going around ....... Jumps, tricks, are not allowed.

There are a lot of people who have never skated before and therefore lots of falls. In fact even experienced skaters know it is more difficult on a moving ship.

OP you indicated originally your daughter was in the 6-8 year-old age group. You may wish to check height / age requirements for some activities. Example is flow rider - minimum height is 52-58 inches. My granddaughter was able to do the rock climbing wall just after her 6th birthday. We did, however, see a 6-year-old turned away - she was old enough but attendant said too small/skinny for the harness.

Just a heads up so that you don't disappoint her.

1 hour can go fast when you are having fun. But consecutive sessions will be ok.

OP you indicated originally your daughter was in the 6-8 year-old age group. You may wish to check height / age requirements for some activities. Example is flow rider - minimum height is 52-58 inches. My granddaughter was able to do the rock climbing wall just after her 6th birthday. We did, however, see a 6-year-old turned away - she was old enough but attendant said too small/skinny for the harness.

Just a heads up so that you don't disappoint her.

Thanks for that, I'll ask my TA about heights. She may be too short for the flow rider but that's not a big deal, it's like #4 on the list of things to do.