Pride of America-Late flight, what to do?

cruzmom68

I will be disembarking the Pride of America on June 25 and my flight is not until 3:45 in the afternoon. Any suggestions on what to do (with 2 dd's) with our time and luggage while waiting for our flight? :D

If you dont end up taking an excursion on which your luggage goes with you and you end up at the airport, consider a few hours in Waikiki.

You don't have to leave the ship until about 9:30. Have a leisurely breakfast first. You can store your luggage at the pier. Take a quick taxi to Waikiki. Play on the beach, shop, go to the zoo. Have a nice lunch somewhere before picking up your luggage and heading for the airport. You'll need to be there about 1:45, so you'll only have 4 hours or so to kill.

Edited by punkincc

There is plenty to see in and around the pier. The pier is located in the financial district which is quite nice to stroll in and out of the streets as there are lot of old refurbished buildings.

You also have the Iolani Palace across the st from the pier, you can do a self guided tour and also see King Kamehameha statue out front of the palace. There is also the Aloha Tower.

You can also walk and cab it back or vice versa to Chinatown and see the lady's in the flower shop making all the different types of leis.

The airport has a nice outside Asian garden with ponds fish and bridges and benches, great place to sit and relax and read or eat your lunch. It's not easy to find but I think it's past the food court.

I trust you know that you can store your luggage at the pier, i think it's $5 per bag.

There is plenty to see in and around the pier. The pier is located in the financial district which is quite nice to stroll in and out of the streets as there are lot of old refurbished buildings.

You also have the Iolani Palace across the st from the pier, you can do a self guided tour and also see King Kamehameha statue out front of the palace. There is also the Aloha Tower.

You can also walk and cab it back or vice versa to Chinatown and see the lady's in the flower shop making all the different types of leis.

The airport has a nice outside Asian garden with ponds fish and bridges and benches, great place to sit and relax and read or eat your lunch. It's not easy to find but I think it's past the food court.

I trust you know that you can store your luggage at the pier, i think it's $5 per bag.

Thanks so much for your suggestions! We are staying 4 nights in Honolulu prior to cruise, but these are all things we will save for that day. My biggest question was what we were going to do with the luggage and you answered it.

:D

We had a similar flight time about a month ago. We considered killing time in Waikiki, etc, but, frankly, we'd be worried about something happening and missing our flight.

So, we took our time having breakfast and came off the ship when we were ready (~9ish) and took a shuttle to the airport. We checked our bags, went through security then walked the whole place stopping to sit along the way. Around 1:00-1:30 we had lunch.

Anyway, here is our review of the trip. You'll find a "Getting There and Back" section that describes the trials and tribulations of flying to/from Hawaii. Hawaii Cruise

Be among the last to be off the ship, I think 9 AM - as there's no CBP formalities to go thru, it's quick & easy - enjoy a big breakfast onboard. Prices at the airport are typically that of airport, except it's even more expensive being the islands in the middle of the Pacific/nowhere ... something like $10 for a basic Subway sandwich, as it's a 5+ hours flight to the USA "mainland" once airborne.

All flights heading for the US mainland must have luggages (checked & carry-on cleared withe agricultural inspections first) before they are allowed to continue with the check-in / "regular" security screening processes ... allow 30 minutes for that, including the lines. TSA's time management hasn't been great either, so it's advisable to be at the airport at least T minus 2+ hours, maybe 3+ hours before scheduled flight departure.

If you get off the POA early, store your luggage - there's probably still enough time to do a little walking around, perhaps an early lunch at nearby Chinatown - then, make your way back to get the luggage and get to HNL, traffic can be pretty bad at midday - and, just hangout "airside" after getting thru the various checks.

We had a similar flight time about a month ago. We considered killing time in Waikiki, etc, but, frankly, we'd be worried about something happening and missing our flight.

So, we took our time having breakfast and came off the ship when we were ready (~9ish) and took a shuttle to the airport. We checked our bags, went through security then walked the whole place stopping to sit along the way. Around 1:00-1:30 we had lunch.

Anyway, here is our review of the trip. You'll find a "Getting There and Back" section that describes the trials and tribulations of flying to/from Hawaii. Hawaii Cruise

Checked out your blog. Thanks for the info. We are flying all the way from HNL to Chicago on the way home and then on to Columbus. Not looking forward to it....