Jewel penthouse question....

kmc86

I have sailed on several of the Jewel class ships, always in a forward suite. I would suggest any of those cabins with the exception of 10500 and 10000. I booked 10500 aboard the Pearl because of the additional cabin space due to the triangular "bump out" feature that supports the bridge directly above the cabin. Yes, having the extra space was nice, however the sun was blocked by the bridge structure above most of the time. Since that time, we have consistently booked 9500 or 9000 on the Pearl, the Jade and upcoming cruise aboard the Gem, and have never regretted that decision.;)

Looking at Jewel cruise to Alaska, do the forward penthouses have access to Cagneys for breakfast and lunch?

Yes. You have access to the suites restaurant for breakfast and lunch. You have a butler and access to the concierge. We sailed on the Jewel last summer in SE 9500. We like the forward facing penthouses on Deck 9 since they have a large (300 sq ft) balcony. The forward facing penthouses are the only way to sail Alaska. We went to the Havens gathering for glacier watching, and quickly grabbed a glass of hot wine and returned to our room which had a far superior view.

We did a quickie review with a few pictures that can be found at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=510360

Edited by BirdTravels

I have sailed on several of the Jewel class ships, always in a forward suite. I would suggest any of those cabins with the exception of 10500 and 10000. I booked 10500 aboard the Pearl because of the additional cabin space due to the triangular "bump out" feature that supports the bridge directly above the cabin. Yes, having the extra space was nice, however the sun was blocked by the bridge structure above most of the time. Since that time, we have consistently booked 9500 or 9000 on the Pearl, the Jade and upcoming cruise aboard the Gem, and have never regretted that decision.;)

The shade would seem to be a plus on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise, where the temps and humidity will be just a tad higher than they are in Alaska. :)

Yes. You have access to the suites restaurant for breakfast and lunch. You have a butler and access to the concierge. We sailed on the Jewel last summer in SE 9500. We like the forward facing penthouses on Deck 9 since they have a large (300 sq ft) balcony. The forward facing penthouses are the only way to sail Alaska. We went to the Havens gathering for glacier watching, and quickly grabbed a glass of hot wine and returned to our room which had a far superior view.

We did a quickie review with a few pictures that can be found at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=510360

Did you have issues with the metal Sea Doors? Were you able to keep the balcony door open. I understand it is not sliding glass door. Thanks.

Thank you for the review and pictures. We are in 9500 for 9/10/16 cruise

I showed my DH the pics of the view and he was amazed.

We have stayed in aft suites but not forward and were worried about the wind and not being able to use the deck at night. Thank you again!!

Did you have issues with the metal Sea Doors? Were you able to keep the balcony door open. I understand it is not sliding glass door. Thanks.

There are actually two doors, the warterproof steel hatch, and a regular wooden exterior door. Most of the time, the regular door is opened for access to the balcony, and the steel hatch is used at night. It's heavy, but swings on its' hinges easily, and the latch is locked by either a lever, or a wheel, depending on the ship. There is one other issue in the forward suites, there can't be any light on the balcony after dark because of the need for darkness on the bridge above. That doesn't mean you can't be out there enjoying the night sky, you just have the have the lights off outside, the drapes pulled, and interior lights dimmed. It isn't as big a deal as it sounds.;) The stars are incredible in the darkness at sea.;)

.... There is one other issue in the forward suites, there can't be any light on the balcony after dark because of the need for darkness on the bridge above. That doesn't mean you can't be out there enjoying the night sky, you just have the have the lights off outside, the drapes pulled, and interior lights dimmed. It isn't as big a deal as it sounds.;) The stars are incredible in the darkness at sea.;)

Several people have said this about the forward penthouses, and it's one of the things I'm most looking forward to. While just about any place on the deck of a cruise ship at night will give a better view of the night sky than you get now in an urban or suburban area, there's still too much light on a cruise ship for really great star gazing, so I'm hoping that's not the case in those forward penthouses. :)

We have had 10502 a few times and love it. When in cabin we leave the doors open often, sometimes during the night when we sleep. No problem keeping lights off to be on the balcony at night. One of our favorite trips was being in forward facing 10502 on the Jewel, sailing into Venice very early in the morning. I have to imagine it's great for Alaska. :)

We have had 10502 a few times and love it. When in cabin we leave the doors open often, sometimes during the night when we sleep. No problem keeping lights off to be on the balcony at night. One of our favorite trips was being in forward facing 10502 on the Jewel, sailing into Venice very early in the morning. I have to imagine it's great for Alaska. :)

We did 3 weeks in 90500 on the Jade in the Med a couple of years ago with two of the three legs begining in Venice and entering and leaving through the Grand Canal is just too special!:D

• 4 months later...

This is great to read as we just upsold today to 9500! :)