Empress with kids ages 5-11

I'm a bit confused by what is ment as a 'kids menu'?

As a kid I used to eat the same things as adults, but in smaller portions. Is that what's meant by kids menus?

Surely, burgers, fries and hotdogs is just junk food. OK occasionally but not foe a whole cruise :eek:

Just off Empress (June 2nd - 6th) with my grandsons ages 3 and 5.

The kids area is very small but the staff was great and both kids enjoyed going.

At dinner you can either sign the kids up to eat dinner there or staff will pick them up outside the dining room at 6:45 p.m.

The food available on the kids menu is pretty much the same as we've had on other ships. Hamburgers, Pizza, Hot Dogs, etc. Nothing spectacular but they shouldn't have difficulty finding something to eat. They can also order off the main menu if desired.

Edited by banderboo

We were on the May 28th sailing. There was no kids menu and when we asked if there was anything else my daughter could order the waiter just looked confused. A few nights into it, the waiter said they could do cheese pizza. It was much later than the other food and was terrible. Just cheese melted on bread.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On our sailing they did have a designated kids menu that listed entrée and dessert.

Don't know about you but our kids and grandkids did not subsist on hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken fingers. Those were an occasional treat. They ate what we ate and did just fine.

I totally agree that they *should* eat what we eat, and I definitely encourage that and encourage trying new foods, but I am not fighting any food battles on vacation!! This mom will be on vacation from making any meals and making anyone try even one bite of something they don't want to try. You want the same basic/boring foods everyday, have at it kid!

Just off Empress (June 2nd - 6th) with my grandsons ages 3 and 5.

The kids area is very small but the staff was great and both kids enjoyed going.

At dinner you can either sign the kids up to eat dinner there or staff will pick them up outside the dining room at 6:45 p.m.

The food available on the kids menu is pretty much the same as we've had on other ships. Hamburgers, Pizza, Hot Dogs, etc. Nothing spectacular but they shouldn't have difficulty finding something to eat. They can also order off the main menu if desired.

Thank you! That is very helpful.

I'm a bit confused by what is ment as a 'kids menu'?

As a kid I used to eat the same things as adults, but in smaller portions. Is that what's meant by kids menus?

Surely, burgers, fries and hotdogs is just junk food. OK occasionally but not foe a whole cruise :eek:

It's not just certain menu items, it can also mean smaller portion sizes, so less waste when 3 yo can't eat an entire adult portion of food.

It's not just certain menu items, it can also mean smaller portion sizes, so less waste when 3 yo can't eat an entire adult portion of food.

exactly! and I also think of the kids menu as being less fancy foods- for example, steamed broccoli instead of broccoli with some kind of sauce, plain green beans instead of green beans with almonds or onions in them, chicken without sauces, plain spaghetti, and yes chicken fingers! less "extras" on the food- like crust on mac-n-cheese

exactly! and I also think of the kids menu as being less fancy foods- for example, steamed broccoli instead of broccoli with some kind of sauce, plain green beans instead of green beans with almonds or onions in them, chicken without sauces, plain spaghetti, and yes chicken fingers! less "extras" on the food- like crust on mac-n-cheese

There is also a brownie sundae that adults can order too, if they don't like the fancy choices on the regular menu!

Sounds like the 2nd cruise was better in this regard with the standard kid menu included!

In navigator - my kids are so well :

My son got a ceaser salad from the main menu every night

My daughter a soup from main menu and either fruit or veggies or both from kid menu.

Then they both got a super yummy grilled chicken breast with gravy - no garnish or fancy stuff but still very tasty - with fries or a potato.

Then they would each get the brownie sundae - and our water would top it with a warm chocolate chip cookie!

Overall - I had no complaints about what they are!! And I thought it was balanced and not 'junk' (well, the brownie sundae of course - but vacation desert doesn't count!).

Most of the main courses would have been too over seasoned for my kids - my husband was barely adventurous enough for them! (I loved them!).

I loved the reply that said no negotiating with kids about eating on a cruise! I completely agree - it's there vacation too! As long as they eat enough - I'm happy!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm wanting to hear from those who have been on the more recent sailing about the kids clubs and activities. Did you kids have fun? Were they happy on the boat. This will be our first cruise so I think the excitement of it all will be enough but I want to make sure that they have a really good time.

Did any of you go to any of the shows with your kids? What did they do at the kids club? What were your overall thoughts? My kids will be between 7 & 10.

Thanks!