muster drill question (late departure)

simatravel

We are going on Constellation out of San Juan on Nov 19. The departure time is 11pm. In the previous cruises the departure time was around 5pm and the muster drill was some time after the departure. After the long travel day most of the kids and some adults may be in bed already by 11pm.

Do they do a drill at 11:15 - 11:30 pm. Does that mean we have to get our kids up and dress to do the muster drill?

Thank you in advance.

The rule is it has be done within 24 hours after sailing--it can be done before the ship sails when all passengers are on board. I have never had one done when it was dark.

I've done a drill @ night time before. And I believe the rule is that they have to do the drill prior to departure, that way, everyone knows what and where to go in case of an emergency.. An emergency can easily happen within 24 hours after sailing..

I've done a drill @ night time before. And I believe the rule is that they have to do the drill prior to departure, that way, everyone knows what and where to go in case of an emergency.. An emergency can easily happen within 24 hours after sailing..

not necessary a rule. Cant imagine all those people getting to the outside decks in the dark. We sailed on the Miracel with an 8pm departure. Muster was 9:30 the next morning.

Our departure on our last cruise ended up being hours late due to the previous cruise coming in hours late. (weather issues) I remember sailing under the bridge at Tampa Bay in the dark. Our muster drill was held the next morning. So, yes, they CAN be done after the ship has sailed.

The rule is it has be done within 24 hours after sailing--it can be done before the ship sails when all passengers are on board. I have never had one done when it was dark.

This is correct. You will most likely have your drill the following morning.

Emergency Drills. Coast Guard regulations and SOLAS require that the master of an ocean cruise ship periodically hold fire and lifeboat drills. They are intended not only to give the crew practice, but also to show the passengers how to act in the event of an emergency at sea. Passengers should participate fully in these drills. The timing and frequency of the drills depends in large part on the length of the voyage. On voyages that will last more than one week, the first drill will be held before the ship gets underway (passengers who embark at the last minute sometimes miss this drill), with additional drills at least once a week thereafter. On voyages of one week or less, the drills must be held within 24 hours after leaving port.

Was on the same cruise leaving San Juan at 11:00 pm on the Connie - the muster drill was at night, before cast-off.

I'd like to know how this was?? I would think rather scarey-- all those people drinking most of the day-- and its dark. does it take long?

Archived