Is the Chef's Table worth it if you can't drink alcohol?

cmptrwiz

My DW and I are on medication that can NOT be mixed with alcohol. Do you still think the experience is still worth it without the wine? We have cruised a fair amount and the chef's table is something we have never tried. It just seems like a lot of money especially when you get a pretty nice dinner in the MDR for free.

Wiz

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My DW and I are on medication that can NOT be mixed with alcohol. Do you still think the experience is still worth it without the wine? We have cruised a fair amount and the chef's table is something we have never tried. It just seems like a lot of money especially when you get a pretty nice dinner in the MDR for free.

Wiz

Absolutely. I don't drink wine at all and my spouse only on very rare special occasions (and even then, only one glass). We both thoroughly enjoyed the experience and didn't feel slighted in the least for not partaking in the offered wine.

I am sure the wine, paired with the dishes, complimented each other but we found the meal to be superb (and well worth the price) without it.

Edited by KevInPitt

That's a hard one... the wine for us did make the value better, yet we rarely drink wine. We did that night though. Does the ship have a Steakhouse?

We thoroughly enjoyed the Steakhouse on the Sunshine and it was $70 for 2. The Chef's Table is an experience though, personally once was enough, I will be going back to the Steakhouse.

Wiz

Hey Wiz. For me I say yes it is still worth it. You don't want to really fill up on the wine anyway(and they will load you up with it keeping your glass constantly full) because you will need all the space in your belly for the food. Sure you can get a pretty nice dinner in the MDR, or do the chef's table and have an amazing one. Even if it's a one time thing I definitely think you should do it. I have lots of memories from mine and so glad I did it. Like the behind the fun tour it's just something you need to do at least once.

Hope that helps.

Larry

The Chef's Table is not about the wine, which is not the best in the world anyway. Also, you said "pretty nice dinner in the MDR for free"...well, that's not a fair comparison. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by nchikk

The Chef's Table is not about the wine, which is not the best in the world anyway. Also, you said "pretty nice dinner in the MDR for free"...well, that's not a fair comparison. Just my 2 cents.

It may not be ABOUT the wine, but it's certainly reflected in the price.

YMMV

I agree. That is part of my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If that's the way you feel, I wouldn't spend the money. On the other hand, I'm not a wine drinker and can only eat reduced amounts of food after stomach cancer but I LOVED Chef's Table and we've done it several times. It's an experience, not just a meal.

It was a very interesting experience and it is worth doing at least once.

DW has many food allergies and they did their best to accomodate her.

We both do not eat pork or shellfish so they did make many substitutions for us.

Dont think we will do it again but we are both glad we did it once.

If that's the way you feel, I wouldn't spend the money. On the other hand, I'm not a wine drinker and can only eat reduced amounts of food after stomach cancer but I LOVED Chef's Table and we've done it several times. It's an experience, not just a meal.

Thanks I appreciate everybody's opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It was a very interesting experience and it is worth doing at least once.

DW has many food allergies and they did their best to accomodate her.

We both do not eat pork or shellfish so they did make many substitutions for us.

Dont think we will do it again but we are both glad we did it once.

I'd like to know more about substitutions' date=' please. We also do not eat pork nor shellfish.

We're booked for Chef's Table for the first time with friends on the Vista TA. We're so excited.[/color']

I did the chefs table this past November. If you look at it like and excursion, its well worth the price. It was a 7 course meal, noting at all like you will get in the MDR. Even though the portions are smaller, you get a lot of food. I'm a good sized man and couldn't eat all that was offered. Besides the 7 courses, there are a few things you get in the galley before being seated at the table. They don't just bring out the food, the chef tells you about every dish and its origin. He will also answer any questions you may have.

• 4 weeks later...
We don't drink, just asked for soda and it was provided. It was an enjoyable experience.

I'm not concerned about the price of the experience and I'm totally fine with iced tea/water/soft drink options - I think I'm more curious about how much alcohol they use when creating the dishes - I, like others, have an allergic sensitivity and want to know what's being used, what's burned out and what's active inside a glaze, sauce or dessert.

Anyone know this answer?

I'm not concerned about the price of the experience and I'm totally fine with iced tea/water/soft drink options - I think I'm more curious about how much alcohol they use when creating the dishes - I, like others, have an allergic sensitivity and want to know what's being used, what's burned out and what's active inside a glaze, sauce or dessert.

Anyone know this answer?

Yes. Google the USDA Alcohol Burn-Off Chart.

I too can only eat small portions and am afraid of wasting too much amazing food for that price. That is my only hang up in trying the Chef's Table so far. Looks like sooo much to eat.