Dress Blues

MajorsWife

Somebody (not on here) told me that my husband will look funny in his dress blues on formal night- I think differently ...do most military men wear them?

pictures is sorta bad sorry, its the only one on this computer

th_momandruss.jpg.4ab601c56a0d60b56a05573afde7a2d0.jpg

Your husband will look great in his dress uniform and anyone who says/feels differently is either blind or nuts! I am a retired Naval Officer and would wear mine with pride but it no longer fits!!! Have a great cruise! Best Regards, Bill

Your husband will look great in his dress uniform and anyone who says/feels differently is either blind or nuts! I am a retired Naval Officer and would wear mine with pride but it no longer fits!!! Have a great cruise! Best Regards, Bill

I think shes just a bit jealous of our trip and was trying to bring me down a bit, thanks all

I for one think military dress uniforms fine for final nights aboard ship - but there have been some heated arugments about that.

There is a fairly lengthy thread about uniforms over at the Holland America boards.

As an ex WRAF I can tell you a lot of military men wear their dress uniform at formal evening and I don't see a cruise should make any difference, your husband look great in his dress uniform and don't let anyone tell you other wise. I wore mine with pride and I'm sure he does too! Have a great cruise

Regards

Kleo

"Somebody (not on here) told me that my husband will look funny in his dress blues on formal night...."

I'm at a loss to understand why anyone would say that. He absolutely should wear them! I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised at the great conversations that will be sparked.

I wear my mini-medals on my tux on 'formal' formal night.

Hi Major's wife,

Well, first let me say that I was an Army officer and proudly served my country for three years, including a voluntary tour in Vietnam.

I agree that dress uniforms are certainly distinguished and your husband should not feel in any way out of place. If he wants to wear his, fine.

However, here's another thought: perhaps the cruise might be a great time to simply take a break from the military and be himself, sans uniform. For discussion purposes, let him simply be "Bill" and you be "Sue" (or Bill's wife).

Regardless, I know you have really done a lot of research and work on making your cruise the best it can be, and I assure you that you will both have great time. Don't sweat the small stuff. :)

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

On our Alaska cruise on Crystal last June there was Marine Corps Gunnery Sargent (I asked) with long-service hash marks past his elbow who wore his dress uniform every formal night. I was so impressed I wanted to salute, and I have never served in the military! (Read a lot about it historically though) From the picture if he gets any "odd" looks they will most likely be of awe or envy. He's earned it, he should where it with pride.

Certainly your husband should wear his dress blues with pride on formal nights. That being said, he might want to consider what the previous poster said about taking a well-deserved break from all things military. Also, since I personally have never seen anyone in uniform on formal nights that I have experienced, will HE be comfortable with being dressed differently, and with all the attention (positive, but could be intrusive) that he will surely receive? Those considerations are purely for his own comfort level, and are not meant to question the appropriateness of wearing his uniform. It is definitely appropriate.

Certainly your husband should wear his dress blues with pride on formal nights. That being said, he might want to consider what the previous poster said about taking a well-deserved break from all things military. Also, since I personally have never seen anyone in uniform on formal nights that I have experienced, will HE be comfortable with being dressed differently, and with all the attention (positive, but could be intrusive) that he will surely receive? Those considerations are purely for his own comfort level, and are not meant to question the appropriateness of wearing his uniform. It is definitely appropriate.

No insult intended but I noticed you were from Canada. I have had lots of discussions with my Canadian friends on cruises about things military. We have agreed on one things for sure and that is the level of pride we U.S. citizens feel about our military and flag.

They have a deeper meaning to us in normal times and more so these days. So that may help in your understanding the pride the military dress uniform brings to the wearer and to those of us who see them.

I personaly am humbled and proud when I see a person in their dress uniform on cruise ships.

Last January, one of our cruising buddy's wore his Dress Blues on formal night. We had no idea what type of reception he'd get! We were blown away! I believe every Veteran on that ship made a point of coming over to him and greet him. He was praised for his duties, questioned about his recent service and had more photos taken with strange people that you can imagine! He took this all in stride and was very gracious! There weren't any strange looks or off-color comments about his dress. To the contrary, he was the "bell of the ball". Bring on the Dress Blues!

I sail tomorrow on the Summit. I will be wearing my Canadian equilivent, what we call Mess Kit. Bright scarlet waist coat, midnight blue pants and vest. Will I stand out a bit, yes, do I care, yes. After 32 plus years serving my country I'm proud to wear it. It is my tux. Have your husband wear it and be bloody proud of him when he does. There are not many things in life with a greater purpose that serving ones country regardless of which one it is.

have a wonderful time!:)

i can tell you this, there is no formal outfit more fitting than a military dress uniform. Class "A's" would be pushing the envelope, but blues or whites sure make the grade. like others said, if i could still fit into mine i'd wear them.

to Char and RTT, last cruise for the first time i wore a tux and on it a few of my medals. the reception i got from just having 4 little medals on was astounding. guess we sometimes don't give folks the deserved credit for their feelings toward the military. thank you for wearing your medals with pride.

on every cruise on formal night you will see two things for sure, a Scot in a kilt and dress uniform, whether it be, army, navy, coast guard, marine, or air force.

majorswife, be sure to look for the veterans gathering. on just about every cruise line they will have an hour set aside for a small veteran's reception.

happy sailing!

GO FOR THE DRESS BLUES! We've seen military men wear their uniforms with great pride (as they should) on every cruise we've been on. We're greatful for their service.

Just an aside. My DH & I were in Myrtle Beach this past week, he wore his Vietnam Vet retired hat. A man came up to him, pardoned himself and just said "thank you for your service". No one (other than a Vet) can imagine how that made him feel. He walked a little taller after that.

Have a wonderful trip and tell your DH he'll do us all proud by wearing his uniform.

Pat C

i can tell you this, there is no formal outfit more fitting than a military dress uniform. Class "A's" would be pushing the envelope, but blues or whites sure make the grade. like others said, if i could still fit into mine i'd wear them.

to Char and RTT, last cruise for the first time i wore a tux and on it a few of my medals. the reception i got from just having 4 little medals on was astounding. guess we sometimes don't give folks the deserved credit for their feelings toward the military. thank you for wearing your medals with pride.

on every cruise on formal night you will see two things for sure, a Scot in a kilt and dress uniform, whether it be, army, navy, coast guard, marine, or air force.

majorswife, be sure to look for the veterans gathering. on just about every cruise line they will have an hour set aside for a small veteran's reception.

happy sailing!

I was surprised, but pleased, to see about three posters state that they wear medal miniatures on their tuxedos on formal nights. I haven't seen this done on the cruises I've been on but would very much like to see it become popular. I've not done it myself because I've not seen it in practice although I understand that it is common in Europe and in diplomatic circles.

I've attended veteran's receptions on several cruises and had a chance to meet a number of older gentlemen who participated in some trully momentous events including several, US, Canadian and British who crossed the beaches at Normandy June 6, 1944.

"I've not done it myself because I've not seen it in practice although I understand that it is common in Europe and in diplomatic circles."

Gosh, Hoover - if you've been awarded the medals, then you really should wear them in a formal situation.

The military guidelines state that its appropriate to do so, and specify how to do it. I can dig up the official requirements and post them if you'd like.

Do it. I'd love to connect with a fellow veteran on a cruise, and I can't think of a better way to do it!

Semper fi!

Archived