Dawn AND Pearl out of NOLA 11/2017?

BayouDoc

I googled cruise ship arrivals for NOLA November and December of 2017 and found both the Pearl and the Dawn listed with arrivals, sometimes both on the same day at the Julia Street terminal. Is this just "place holding"? Can 2 Norwegian ships use the Julia street terminal on the same day? Still no schedule out of NOLA fall/winter 2017 on NCL website. Does anyone know the significance, if any of the arrival schedule?

http://portno.com/vessel-schedules

One would think that the port website would be accurate, however for this year they show the Dawn doing an Embark only on Nov 11, when they are actually arriving from a 14 day repo cruise from Boston and leaving on a 9 day Western Caribbean adventure to get them from a Fri-Fri schedule to a Sun - Sun schedule.

From looking a the port info on Cruise Timetables they show moorage for no more than two cruise ships. This site also does not have much data posted for NOLA in 2017 except for Carnival.

So they hugely invest in a gorgeous renovation in the Dawn and all of us have cruised on her for years on the Boston to Bermuda run now will get NOT the gorgeous new ship but some other worn tub? Ouch.

So they hugely invest in a gorgeous renovation in the Dawn and all of us have cruised on her for years on the Boston to Bermuda run now will get NOT the gorgeous new ship but some other worn tub? Ouch.

If I read the press release correctly the new itineraries are for late Fall 2017 and winter 2018 which is NOT Bermuda season. So we'll just have to wait and see if the Dawn returns to Boston or not after April 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Nothing from Houston or Galveston :( :(

This is such a bummer, but can't blame them. Doesn't seem like people really bought in to cruising out of Port of Houston. Probably a lack of marketing though too, we cruised out of Houston last year and everyone was surprised that was even an option. New Orleans is not much more difficult and a much more fun city, we're doing that itinerary in November.

This is such a bummer, but can't blame them. Doesn't seem like people really bought in to cruising out of Port of Houston. Probably a lack of marketing though too, we cruised out of Houston last year and everyone was surprised that was even an option. New Orleans is not much more difficult and a much more fun city, we're doing that itinerary in November.

Actually the number one reason cruise lines pull out of Galveston/Houston area is the Selling Liquor restrictions. It truly is not worth it for the cruise line. The second is sales have just never been good. Distance from airport is not short. While it is great for those that live in Texas, not so much for those flying in. Just not enough cruisers to keep the cruise lines making money.

Actually the number one reason cruise lines pull out of Galveston/Houston area is the Selling Liquor restrictions. It truly is not worth it for the cruise line. The second is sales have just never been good. Distance from airport is not short. While it is great for those that live in Texas, not so much for those flying in. Just not enough cruisers to keep the cruise lines making money.

Liquor restrictions? Help me out here, what am I missing?

From the Press Release it also sounds like Los Angeles/West Coast will be WITHOUT again :( That is extremely disappointing.

Not all ships are mentioned in the press release, Jade, Star and Sun are not assigned.

I could imagine that Sun returns to South America, and Jade might overtake the winter cruises through Panama Canal and the Mexican Riviera.

No idea for Star though...

When you are cruising out of Houston, there is a set menu of alcohol you can purchase. I'm using this as example because I don't remember the exact liquor but it goes something like this: Let's say you can get a Pina Colado which has rum in it, but let's say you wanted a Rum Runner which would aslo have rum in it. You wouldn't be able to get the Rum Runner because it is not on the "approved" alcohol menu. It was my understanding that an "approved" alcohol menu was created by some "Houston Alcohol Police", of course, this title is completely made up but you get my drift.

You can ONLY order drinks from this approved alcohol menu until you are out of the channel and into the gulf. It takes a long time to get out of the channel so you are stuck with this menu.

I thought it was absolutely ridiculous. My group wanted martinis but we were not allowed to partake until we were out of the channel.

Edited by BayouGirlUSA

This link should help you understand it a bit.

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/home/press_releases/2013/20131220.asp

For NCL it means for many hours on embarkation day and late hours of your last cruise night you cannot take advantage of your Beverage Package. There is no way for the ship to keep track of the correct tax. So they have set up a small menu and have pre set the tax they will pay. There is just way too many problems with this for the cruise lines.

Texas pretty much signed a contract to get rid of cruise ships by doing this. Cruise lines such as Princess got out quickly once this started. I think NCL honestly tried but over all it just does not work and makes for a lot of upset passengers.

When you are cruising out of Houston, there is a set menu of alcohol you can purchase. I'm using this as example because I don't remember the exact liquor but it goes something like this: Let's say you can get a Pina Colado which has rum in it, but let's say you wanted a Rum Runner which would aslo have rum in it. You wouldn't be able to get the Rum Runner because it is not on the "approved" alcohol menu. It was my understanding that an "approved" alcohol menu was created by some "Houston Alcohol Police", of course, this title is completely made up but you get my drift.

You can ONLY order drinks from this approved alcohol menu until you are out of the channel and into the gulf. It takes a long time to get out of the channel so you are stuck with this menu.

I thought it was absolutely ridiculous. My group wanted martinis but we were not allowed to partake until we were out of the channel.

I'm not sure of all the details either but I've heard/read that they lock all the mini bars in the cabins and, isn't there a pretty high tax applied, as well?

It's really unfortunate but the powers that be in TX appear to not want a cruise ship to homeport in Houston otherwise they's make changes to their liquor laws.... but who knows. To each his own, even individual States have the right to make their own choices.

I was told the big reason for leaving Houston was the long trip down to the sea which was expensive re pilots etc, that plus fog issues at times. Galveston is so much closer to the sea but lacks capacity for more ships.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50F using Tapatalk

I was on Jade last December. We returned to Houston early and spent the last night at the dock. There was no problem using UBP.

The restricted drink options while in Houston are because they can only serve liquor purchased in Texas while in Texas waters. It's the same for ships out of Galveston. It's not a big deal, neither is the customs duty (assuming you 'fess up and pay it). Just don't bring back a bunch of miniatures:

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/poe/tax_rates.asp

I'm just wondering what the Pearl shifting to NOLA means for NCL's charter business. Is this to spice up itineraries for the Sixthman charters? Will they sail to the Harvest Caye private beach stop and do 4 day runs in and out of NOLA? It seems like they could be heading in that direction instead of focusing solely on using Great Stirrup Cay for the charters. Either way it'll be interesting to see what they do with the charter business when these ship shuffles are over. With sending the Jewel to Aussie/Asia that means South America will be stuck with the Sun for quite some time to come. :cool:

I'm not sure of all the details either but I've heard/read that they lock all the mini bars in the cabins and, isn't there a pretty high tax applied, as well?

It's really unfortunate but the powers that be in TX appear to not want a cruise ship to homeport in Houston otherwise they's make changes to their liquor laws.... but who knows. To each his own, even individual States have the right to make their own choices.

We still have a lot of restrictive alcohol laws in Texas. Guess it has to do with the continued influence of religion on government. On Sunday, can only buy alcohol from noon to midnight and etc.

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/faq/general.asp

Edited by IrieBajan54