Dawn AND Pearl out of NOLA 11/2017?

BayouDoc

This link should help you understand it a bit.

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/home/press_releases/2013/20131220.asp

Texas pretty much signed a contract to get rid of cruise ships by doing this.

Cruise lines such as Princess got out quickly once this started.

I think NCL honestly tried but over all it just does not work and makes

for a lot of upset passengers.

AH!! Now I see why Princess has nothing listed for Houston.

Nothing like State Regs that cut off the nose to spite the face.

Mucho gratias for that info....

We've been chomping at the bit to use our future cruise credit $$....

I have been waiting and waiting for the November 2017 repositioning on the DAWN to post!! HURRY UP, I have two cruise certs to use!! :cool:

From the Press Release it also sounds like Los Angeles/West Coast will be WITHOUT again :( That is extremely disappointing.

That's why I'm sailing with Princess more and more; lots of options from LA and from SF. In fact, I'm booked on a 10-night Queensland and Great Barrier Reef cruise on Princess in March 2018. I likely would have booked on Jewel if NCL had their act together a lot sooner.

The liquor laws were an issue, as was the fog. But one I've not seen mentioned is that with the Houston cruise terminal being in the middle of an industrial port area, lodging isn't close to the pier at all and it's not easy or cheap to get to a hotel from either Houston airport. Since we drove from Oklahoma, we stayed just outside of Houston and then drove to the port/pier. Honestly, Houston was the easiest and fastest place to go through the terminal for security and check in that we've ever experienced, and we parked almost right next to the ship. We could easily see our car from our balcony.

We would rather drive the extra few hours (3 for us) to go to NOLA and get an extra port plus the cool trip down the Mighty Mississippi.

It does seem counter-productive for Houston to invest all the money for the Houston terminal to bring ships in an then the state pulls all the alcohol issues (which don't affect us, but still strange).

Edited by GORDONCHICK

That's why I'm sailing with Princess more and more; lots of options from LA and from SF. In fact, I'm booked on a 10-night Queensland and Great Barrier Reef cruise on Princess in March 2018. I likely would have booked on Jewel if NCL had their act together a lot sooner.

sorry I was really trying to see where you found laughnvegas' quote about west coast sailings . Did she say NCL was no longer going to cruise out of LA ?

Edited by puli

The Pearl is my favorite Norwegian ship. I am thrilled to hear it is coming to New Orleans for at least one season. I can't wait to find out what repositioning cruises it will have coming and leaving here.

• 2 months later...
The Pearl is my favorite Norwegian ship. I am thrilled to hear it is coming to New Orleans for at least one season. I can't wait to find out what repositioning cruises it will have coming and leaving here.

I'm looking for the repositioning cruises also. I called NCL to see where it would be coming from as the website has all of October, 2017 blocked out for the Pearl. They had no answer. Could it be going into dry dock prior to arriving in NOLA?

• 4 weeks later...
YES!! The Dawn will be cruising out of Tampa!! New Itineraries!! I am so excited!! Plus I can stay with my brother in Tampa!!

Thanks for the terrific news!!!

Looks like you really like the Dawn! We are just considering this ship and have always cruised RCCL and Carnival. I'm guessing if I asked your opinion, you would be very pro Norwegian Dawn???? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to hear you say that you like the Pearl. I have been very bummed that the Dawn is leaving - especially right after being refurbished. As it seems you have sailed them both, what did you like more about the Pearl? I am going to miss the family suites on the Dawn!

I am glad to hear you say that you like the Pearl. I have been very bummed that the Dawn is leaving - especially right after being refurbished. As it seems you have sailed them both, what did you like more about the Pearl? I am going to miss the family suites on the Dawn!

We are sailing the Pearl out of NOLA in Dec. 2017. She will be about 9 mos. from her total refurbishment of Spring 2017. NCL's Jewel Class are some of the best medium size ships at sea. Funny, they are now considered mid sized at almost 100,000 tons.

The thing I like the least about the Dawn is that they turned the Spinnaker Lounge into family suites. The forward Spinnaker Lounge, still on the Pearl, is a great place for sitting and relaxing with your friends and sightseeing at the same time, especially during bad weather when you don't want to go on deck.

Other things I like about the Pearl are the Tennis Court, Rock climbing wall, Golf driving net and Bowling alley. It also has a Chapel and 13 bars/lounges instead of 9 on the Dawn. The Pearl also has the Great Outdoors in the Buffet which is quite enjoyable at times. The Pearl also still has a "Freestyle Sun Deck" if you are into that type of thing. The Bliss Ultra Lounge Night Club is also very unique. The Pearl is also 4 years newer.

Despite the fact that I like the Pearl more than the Dawn, the Dawn is still a great ship and I have cruises booked on both the Dawn and Pearl for next year.

The thing I like the least about the Dawn is that they turned the Spinnaker Lounge into family suites. The forward Spinnaker Lounge, still on the Pearl, is a great place for sitting and relaxing with your friends and sightseeing at the same time, especially during bad weather when you don't want to go on deck.

Other things I like about the Pearl are the Tennis Court, Rock climbing wall, Golf driving net and Bowling alley. It also has a Chapel and 13 bars/lounges instead of 9 on the Dawn. The Pearl also has the Great Outdoors in the Buffet which is quite enjoyable at times. The Pearl also still has a "Freestyle Sun Deck" if you are into that type of thing. The Bliss Ultra Lounge Night Club is also very unique. The Pearl is also 4 years newer.

Despite the fact that I like the Pearl more than the Dawn, the Dawn is still a great ship and I have cruises booked on both the Dawn and Pearl for next year.

Thanks for the review! Sounds like a nice ship. Funny that the part I love the most on the Dawn is what you like the least. But I understand your point. I suppose I never missed that place you could enjoy a protected sea view as that's what I had in the suite - the Dawn and the Star are the only two NCLs with that level of suite....although they are now pricing them closer to other suites originally they were a pretty good deal. So, it's hard to tell from the pictures but how does the bowling alley accommodate so many passengers? Pictures just show two lanes...what has your experience been using the tennis court, rock wall and bowling alley been like?