scenic sailing out of los angeles?

chpal

Hi,

Leaving San Pedro around 5:00 p.m. going towards Mexico, how scenic - or not - is the sailaway?

Some cities have particularly beautiful views as the ship sails away from the port; is LA one of them?

Thanks!

Hi,

Leaving San Pedro around 5:00 p.m. going towards Mexico, how scenic - or not - is the sailaway?

Some cities have particularly beautiful views as the ship sails away from the port; is LA one of them?

Thanks!

There are two ports in Los Angeles for cruise ships.

If you mentioned which cruise line you would some answers.

View depends whether you sail from San Pedro or Long Beach.

Hi,

Thanks!

Interesting, maybe...Scenic, NO...

LA Harbor is MASSIVE...It's the third busiest port facility in the world, largely industrial...

The World Cruise Center is a little ways up one of the channels that leads into the harbor, that channel being on the extreme Western side of the harbor...

Depending on how and in which berth the ship started out, you may have to make a three point turn to reorient toward the Pacific...then you make your way down the channel toward the Pacific...

At the World Cruise Center, you'll get views of the Vincent Thomas Bridge, LA's only suspension bridge--which crosses that same channel just north of the cruise port, spanning between the town of San Pedro and Terminal Island--which fronts the harbor until the LA River and Long Beach on the Eastern side of the harbor...

So, as you proceed down the channel, on your port, you will see only industrial port facilities, spreading about 6 miles or more into Long Beach...

On the Starboard side, you will pass the town of San Pedro and its waterfront and the hills of the Palos Verdes Peninsula behind it...There are several cafes and restaurants along the waterfront with outdoor tables, so you can wave to people as you pass...Then you pass the yacht harbor and out to the open sea...

Once you leave the channel, you will leave land far behind quickly...

So, no, nothing like sailing out of Venice and passing right over the Piazza San Marco...or sailing out of Kotor, Montenegro with its Medieval walls lit up...or even out of San Juan and passing the old Spanish forts...

The City of Los Angeles, the larger Santa Monica Mountains, the various landmarks are all far to the north...Your best view will be of that cold frosty drink in your hands...

Note to Kamloops: The OP is on the Oceania Regatta in January, so they are definitely sailing out of the World Cruise Center in San Pedro.

Note to Sadie: It's the Ports O' Call Village, NOT Shoreline Village...San Pedro, not Long Beach...

Edited by Bruin Steve

The ports of San Pedro and Long Beach make up one of the largest ports in the world. It depends on what's picturesque to you. I find port operations fascinating.

Leaving San Pedro you'll pass the Shoreline Village restaurants, the breakwater and then out to sea. Takes about 20 minutes or so.

Long Beach takes less time to get past the breakwater.

For the most part you'll vaguely see the coastline. If Cabo is your first port, go on deck a few hours before your scheduled to tender. Should see some sort of wildlife, last February we saw several whales and dolphins.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

........ ......

Note to Sadie: It's the Ports O' Call Village, NOT Shoreline Village...San Pedro, not Long Beach...

Thanks for the correction.... Still just restaurants. Oh, forgot the really cool firehouse.

The boards are acting odd today. How did your post get before mine?

Thanks for the correction.... Still just restaurants. Oh, forgot the really cool firehouse.

The boards are acting odd today. How did your post get before mine?

Bruin Steve probably saw your post and was still able to edit his...

You'll probably get some diners waving at you from the Ports o'call, but that's it. If it's dark and if the bridge is still being lit up, that might be pretty.

But otherwise, San Pedro is not that scenic compared to other parts of LA, like Santa Monica.

I always like to be on deck when we pass through Angel's Gate, which is the name of the opening in the Port of Los Angeles breakwater leading to the open ocean. There is a lighthouse on the north end that can make a nice photo (esp. if you are a lighthouse freak like I am!).

Most of the trip south you will be far off-shore, as there is less wave action there, and less chance of running afoul of fishing operations off the coast of Baja California. Agree with being on deck for at least 1-2 hours before you arrive in Cabo, as they pull closer to shore, and because whales and dolphins are common here and as you round the point into the bay.