port of Salerno - recent cruisers

suec12

We will be on Celebrity Silhouette in Oct. - previously (maybe a year ago) I read postings on the port of Salerno and the ships were docking in what was a container port - getting out for day trips difficult! But is there a new port now? I watched the video posted on youtube - if that is where we will be docking, it looks very nice! Is it the same port the boats/ferries that go to Capri and up the Amalfi coast use?

About that lovely video - I really wondered how much of the footage was from Salerno (I know many shots were from the area, including Capri). But the church / cathedral shown early on with frescos and mosaics, was that in Salerno?

I don't know how to post the link, but go back to a post from May 27th and you will find it. Lovely....and after thinking about it, there is a point in the video that shows a smaller ship sailing out - that may be the point in the video where the footage starts being from other parts of the Amalfi coast.

I think this is the video the OP is referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5sv1Al2LDg

We were just in Salerno on Friday 6/3/16 on the Brilliance of the Seas. We most definitely still docked in the industrial area (though the video shows some fairly large looking ships in the newer area). There was a free shuttle bus that took us to the edge of a grassy square in town. We walked from there to the train station (maybe a mile?). I'm sure there was a public bus we could've taken but it was a nice day and we weren't in a hurry so we just walked.

It looked like vehicles for private tours were being allowed to drive right up to near where the ship was docked. I don't know this for sure though as we did a DIY trip to Pompeii.

We did not go to the cathedral in Salerno, but the video footage in that early part of the clip looks consistent with Salerno. The video has captions for most of the sites it shows, so I assume those are correct (they looked right...).

Hmm, I was so hopeful when I saw that lovely new terminal.....I assume the Brilliance did not dock and disembark there? but I'm encouraged to hear a port shuttle took you out - some posters from earlier threads seemed to have to walk thru the containers, trucks and such.

Well somehow I missed the captions on the video - I'll watch it again!

I was under the impression that you weren't allowed to walk out from the industrial area. I don't know that for sure, but I did see someone who looked like he was heading out on foot get stopped and turned around. The shuttle here was free and simple (unlike Livorno where it was 5 Euro per person!). Maybe you'll be lucky and be docked in the new area.

I am on Brilliance in Salerno today. The ship is docked in the industrial port and you need to catch a free port bus to get out - walking out of the port is not allowed and in any case would be too far and too complicated.

The port bus drops you slightly further towards town than it did when we were here 2 years ago. If you search for Traversa S Lucia on Google maps that's where the bus drops you

The terminal building is completed and can be visited. I asked the tourist info people in the port when cruise ships would call there and she said not until next year.

As the person who posted the link mentioned above Suec is right that the point where the boat sails out of the port is where the images of Salerno end. Despite the fact that there are people who decry it as a port it's a pleasant town for those who don't want to venture further afield

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me where you meet private tour guides at the Port of Salerno?

We have just done a cruise that stopped in Salerno.

As you disembark the ship - the private tour guides are right there holding signs up.

Bobal,Is it easy to find where to catch the ferry to Amalfi from where the ship docks?(We are visiting in October)

It's very easy to find. The port bus will drop you at Traversa S. Lucia, you then need to cross the road so that you are walking along the sea front with the sea on your right. It's around a 15 minute walk to the ferry stop which is at Piazza Concordia. You actually have to walk from the road and onto the pier which juts out into the sea, the ticket office is at the end of the pier. (If you look on Google Maps you can see what I mean)

This is the link to find the timetables http://www.travelmar.it/en/

• 2 weeks later...

From Bobal: It's very easy to find. The port bus will drop you at Traversa S. Lucia, you then need to cross the road so that you are walking along the sea front with the sea on your right. It's around a 15 minute walk to the ferry stop which is at Piazza Concordia. You actually have to walk from the road and onto the pier which juts out into the sea, the ticket office is at the end of the pier. (If you look on Google Maps you can see what I mean)

Hi Bobal,

Thanks for the update. We are planning to take the NLG jet boat out of Molo Manfredi to Amalfi. It leaves at 8:20, arriving about 9:00. Where is the ship in relation to Molo Manfredi (it looks like it's at the same pier area)? Will they let us walk to Molo Manfredi?

Thanks,

Julie

Edited by julieawill