Paint scheme on ncl

Can anyone tell me why some hulls on the ship are painted more extravagantly then others? I was just curious as to if there was a reasoning behind it like they paint them to the itinerary that they will be doing or something like that.

Can anyone tell me why some hulls on the ship are painted more extravagantly then others? I was just curious as to if there was a reasoning behind it like they paint them to the itinerary that they will be doing or something like that.

According to Kevin Sheehan about artwork on the Breakaway for instance, “Since Norwegian Breakaway will be making her home in New York, we felt it was fitting to ask the artist best associated with New York, Mr. Peter Max, to paint the ship’s hull,” said Kevin Sheehan, Norwegian Cruise Line’s chief executive officer. “I am a huge fan of his work and know that the art he creates for Norwegian Breakaway will make the ship instantly recognizable."

Having to do with itinerary is probably true, as is custom art work (by whatever artist - example underlined above).

The last few have been done by well known artists and the hull art reflects the home port or itinerary they'll be sailing. Before that, the art was usually a play on the name of the ship, the Pearl, the Gem, the Sun, etc. Look on the NCL website where they list ship pics and stats. If you look at the ship name, you'll be able to see why the art looks as it does.

I think Dawn started out in New York with the Statue of liberty.

Will the will the New dry dock paint job be the same??

She's not a New york ship now

If they took the Statue of Liberty off the one side, it would lose the balance with the dolphins off the other side. I know when she first came out, the Dawn gave a nod to being in NYC. She hasn't been there for some while but a complete re-do of the hull art would have to be done to make it not seem lopsided (I would think). They have a huge sun on the Norwegian Sun so would they put a Dawn scene on that side with a rising sun? It would be pretty now that I'm imagining it but the shading would be a pain to upkeep.

If they took the Statue of Liberty off the one side, it would lose the balance with the dolphins off the other side. I know when she first came out, the Dawn gave a nod to being in NYC. She hasn't been there for some while but a complete re-do of the hull art would have to be done to make it not seem lopsided (I would think). They have a huge sun on the Norwegian Sun so would they put a Dawn scene on that side with a rising sun? It would be pretty now that I'm imagining it but the shading would be a pain to upkeep.

I was of the impression they were more decals than actual paint?

While the design and paintings may be done by famous artists, it makes me think of them as party boats not cruise ships. But, maybe that is the intent.

No disagreement here. I like the way Escape looks but otherwise, I've always thought NCL ships looked cheesy because of the hull art.