Book Early Huh???

JohnGaltny

We all know that the cruise lines want us to book early right?

We all know that the lowest prices and certainly the choice of cabins are best done way in advance right?

We all know that a cruise is cancellable before final payment right?

NOT SO FAST.........................

In March we booked Carnival Sunshine out of New York with two cabins and a $500.00 deposit on each. Final payment would have been due next week but, due to loss of employment by one of the party, we had to cancel. No big deal correct???

NOT SO FAST. Yesterday I received an email from my TA telling me that the cruise deposit was "non-refundable" and that we can either go on the cruise or accept a $450.00 credit to be used within 2 years. SAY WHAT??

So apparently, aside from all the various service cuts and staff reductions ( not just Carnival but across the industry) Carnival, at least, has adopted the business model of the airlines. NON refundable deposits? Really??

Other than cabin choice, why would I now book early and risk being penalized for letting the company play the float on my money?

I had never cancelled a cruise before so this may be more common than I realized. Anyone else know about this ........ stuff?

Edited by JohnGaltny

Those are the rules when you accept the early saver rate. If you wanted your deposit to be completely refunded, then you should have chosen a different rate. It pays to read the fine print. I'm guessing your TA didn't tell you what would happen if you had to cancel.

Yep - this is an Early Saver rule. When we started cruising a few years ago, I read the entire ES information. That was one of them. Deposit can be used for a future cruise but it is non-refundable.

Sorry, that your TA didn't tell you that. But, you probably should have checked the rules yourself. Things like this are why I am happy not using a TA. At least I know if I miss something like the non-refundable deposit that it is all on me. I would expect a TA to notify a customer of any rules when booking.

I guess the control freak in me is a good thing sometimes! :D

Did you get trip insurance? I always get the policy where I can cancel for any reason. If you don't have it, it's too late to do so now. There's plenty of stories like yours here at CC. You just never know when something happens to where you can't go on the cruise. Furthermore, I find the better deals that are closer to the cruise date and the cruise line decides to have a sale to fill the ship up. That's why you should keep an eye on your cruise and look for price drops. Booking early does not always mean cheaper rates.

Thanks for the responses.

I guess you all are correct that I should have researched this myself but my TA has been great for 15 cruises so I never bothered. My bad.:confused:

Unfortunately, both she and I blew it this time.

As I said, I have never cancelled a cruise before so it's a good, and relatively cheap, object lesson. Yes, I always get trip insurance but it would not have covered me anyway since it was my friend who lost his job, not me.

Thanks again everyone.

Edited by JohnGaltny

Indeed it would seem you've been bitten by the "Early Saver" bug. Time to have a stern talking to with your TA who didn't inform you of the restrictions with this type of fare.

Many don't read the conditions under which they are booking and are often surprised should they have to cancel.

Yep they be the rules. We had to cancel once the travel insurance covered all the whole deposits for the cruise and shore tours, then we rebook. So we a were only out the cost of the travel insurance. Never travel with out it now. My motto---book cruise and same day buy insurance. I don't trust a TA to do it for me.

We typically book ES but there are some rules that can bite you.

Once upon a time we had booked one under ES and than they started a new Southern Caribbean we liked better so we switched costing us $ 100 in penalities.

We knew about the cost of switching but long time ES has saved us a bunch of dollars.

Sure you should have been told about early saver conditions or read them yourself.

But is $50 really that big of an issue if you cancel? You have the remaining $450 in credit for another booking.

If you purchased insurance to cover cancel for any reason, you would have paid a lot more than $50pp.

We all know that the lowest prices and certainly the choice of cabins are best done way in advance right?

In March we booked Carnival Sunshine out of New York with two cabins and a $500.00 deposit on each. Final payment would have been due next week but, due to loss of employment by one of the party, we had to cancel. No big deal correct???

NOT SO FAST. Yesterday I received an email from my TA telling me that the cruise deposit was "non-refundable" and that we can either go on the cruise or accept a $450.00 credit to be used within 2 years. SAY WHAT??

So apparently, aside from all the various service cuts and staff reductions ( not just Carnival but across the industry) Carnival, at least, has adopted the business model of the airlines. NON refundable deposits? Really??

Other than cabin choice, why would I now book early and risk being penalized for letting the company play the float on my money?

I had never cancelled a cruise before so this may be more common than I realized. Anyone else know about this ........ stuff?

So sorry that you weren't informed by your TA that you were booking ES with non-refundable deposit, losing $50 pp, & balance going into Escrow to be used within 24 months.

We do love booking early (onboard Jan B2B for the following Jan B2B) so we can get the same cabin on both legs of the B2B.

Yes this is the Early Saver rules. Not all deposits are nonrefundable. Carnival has other rates where the deposit is refundable. We have booked Early Saver many times, but on our upcoming cruise we booked the Past Guest rate and if we cancel the deposit is refundable. The difference in price was only $20 more in total for us. I know we can't get price drops after final payment but those seem to becoming less and less. But we can still get price drops before final payment.

Sorry this happened to you. When we booked a Carnival cruise through a TA, he asked if we wanted to make the deposit refundable for $60 more per person. I declined because I figured I would use the cruise credit so the $50 cancellation fee would be less that the $60 if I went on the cruise. Your TA really should have given you the option.

Those are the rules when you accept the early saver rate. If you wanted your deposit to be completely refunded, then you should have chosen a different rate. It pays to read the fine print. I'm guessing your TA didn't tell you what would happen if you had to cancel.

i book early saver and only do so during deposit sales ($50 pp). i would never book early saver with a regular deposit.

Thanks for the responses.

I guess you all are correct that I should have researched this myself but my TA has been great for 15 cruises so I never bothered. My bad.:confused:

Unfortunately, both she and I blew it this time.

As I said, I have never cancelled a cruise before so it's a good, and relatively cheap, object lesson. Yes, I always get trip insurance but it would not have covered me anyway since it was my friend who lost his job, not me.

Thanks again everyone.

It's pretty clear when you book online that booking an ES fare that this is what happens with the deposit. Shame on your TA for not explaining this. Often it's only a difference of $50 or so between an ES fare and one that the deposit is refundable. I only book ES when I book a cruise under one of the reduced fare promos, because they can't keep more than I've paid. In my most recent case I have deposits of $98 on two cabins and final payment date is next June. If I cancel before final payment I only lose the $98 per room.

Yes this is the Early Saver rules. Not all deposits are nonrefundable. Carnival has other rates where the deposit is refundable. We have booked Early Saver many times, but on our upcoming cruise we booked the Past Guest rate and if we cancel the deposit is refundable. The difference in price was only $20 more in total for us. I know we can't get price drops after final payment but those seem to becoming less and less. But we can still get price drops before final payment.

Yes, the Past Guest rate is the way to go. Much more flexibility for only $20.00 more per person.

Edited by JohnSpo

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but you are not telling the majority of us anything that we didn't already know. Early Saver deposits are non-refundable. It states so right in the details of the terms.

Again, I'm genuinely not trying to be rude, but your whole post is coming across as an attack on a company which you seem to think has wronged you. Their terms are not deceptive, you just have to take the time to read them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but you are not telling the majority of us anything that we didn't already know. Early Saver deposits are non-refundable. It states so right in the details of the terms.

Again, I'm genuinely not trying to be rude, but your whole post is coming across as an attack on a company which you seem to think has wronged you. Their terms are not deceptive, you just have to take the time to read them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am always amazed on here when someone sees an attack where there is none. I thought I made it clear that this was a question, not a rant. I also took the blame for not knowing this several times. Apparently either I was not clear OR you didn't read subsequent replies.

I believe only Carnival has this nonrefundable deposit thing .Not for all cruises but some.It's you TA fault not warning you about it.

I am always amazed on here when someone sees an attack where there is none. I thought I made it clear that this was a question, not a rant. I also took the blame for not knowing this several times. Apparently either I was not clear OR you didn't read subsequent replies.

I'm not amazed! Say anything against Carnival and the daggers and claws come out. Then they attack you clawing at you calling you a LIAR! I've been at CC long enough to see this happen over and over again. Imagine meeting up with these people on board the ship! We've all learned lessons about booking on any cruiselines. No one likes to lose money. Best of luck to you and keep your rain coat on when coming to CC.

I believe only Carnival has this nonrefundable deposit thing .Not for all cruises but some.It's you TA fault not warning you about it.

Princess does have a nonrefundable deposit policy. I booked a cruise Saturday on the Royal Princess and put down a $200 nonrefundable deposit. I also get free gratuities on this particular cruise - I can see why they do this.

Sigh, that is the way some people are here. First thing I noticed was your signature, pretty experienced with cruising several different lines.....your TA should have mentioned the ES fare rules but the rates are usually better than the $50 pp loss when booking so I have also bitten the bullet so to speak, I almost always book ES rates too. It does give you the option of price matching fare even after final payment is due so if they run a special to fill the ship you can still get the reduced rates. If booking through a TA though you must monitor pricing and the TA is the one that has to submit forms for price break. That can be troublesome with some TAs.

And....fwiw, twice now I have chosen to cancel cruises I have booked under ES and switched to an alternate cruise immediately during the same cancel call and both times they waved the "administration fee" and gave me full credit. Most recently was just a week ago 2/4/17 Glory to 1/7/17 Magic. Not sure what parameter they use when overriding this fee. I was fully prepared to lose the $100 but was delighted to get full credit......tipped the scale for me so I'm purchasing Cheers for this next cruise:)

To the OP, you can still decide to go on the cruise if you have not cancelled yet. Would the person that lost their job not be understanding if the others still went?

Or just bite the bullet and apply the $450.00 to another cruise and try to get the fee waived. Nobody likes to lose $50.00

I had to re-schedule an Early Saver rate. I did lose the $50.00 but I applied the deposit to another cruise with a better rate so I actually was ahead of the game. Perhaps you can find a cruise with a better rate to absorb the fees.

I'm not amazed! Say anything against Carnival and the daggers and claws come out. Then they attack you clawing at you calling you a LIAR! I've been at CC long enough to see this happen over and over again. Imagine meeting up with these people on board the ship! We've all learned lessons about booking on any cruiselines. No one likes to lose money. Best of luck to you and keep your rain coat on when coming to CC.

Oh I am an old hand at that sort of thing.

I mostly hang out at the RCI board and have had many flame wars with the Royal Carribots. :D My reviews have on occasion gotten me sent to the principal too. LOL

Edited by JohnGaltny