Awkward Tipper

Juslaugh

I can't be bothered quibbling over what would amount to pennies. Life is too short. If my budget were ever that tight, I would find a different holiday to take.

there you go running on with diarrhea of the mouth about something you know absolutely nothing about. i can't begin to tell you how wide the chasm is between a tight budget and throwing money away just for the sake of it.

not being wasteful is the vehicle that allows one to become rich. as benjamin franklin once said, a penny saved is a penny earned. and just why are you so hell bent on giving more money to the government as putting the tips in the base fare does nothing for the workers that a different non-taxable method doesn't also achieve.

btw, dollars come from pennies. so quibbling over pennies, especially since it would be thousands of them on every cabin sold, it a smart thing to do.

just do do a little math for you, gratuities on a 7 night cruise per person comes to 90.65. state sales tax in florida is 6 percent so the tax generated by being dumb enough to put the tips in the base rate because it's 'just pennies' as you state equals 544.9 pennies per person sailing given to the government for no reason whatsoever or for a cruise with 3,500 guests on it that equates to 1,907,150 pennies given to the government per sailing just because one is too lazy to figure out a different method to make tips mandatory or so arrogant as to think a different method that doesn't waste money isn't smarter just because 'life is too short'. :rolleyes:

Edited by Computer Nerd

No. You can go back and look at the thread. I don't recall seeing one person in favor of changing it besides the poster that suggested it. There could have been one that I overlooked. You never know. Doesn't really matter what we think anyway since none of us have any pull with Carnival.

shhhhh....are you trying to get cruise critic shut down. isn't this the basis of every thread here :confused:

:p:D

Who are the tipping police, and more importantly, if they are who I think they are, why would they find it unfavorable? Aren't the tipping police people that don't like that others remove their prepaid tips? Why would they have a problem if the tips were actually increased, which based on the way I was reading the suggestion here that's what would happen.

increasing tips that are adjustable is moot. more people would remove them and nothing accomplished other than ticking off customers in higher priced cabins using cabin price as the index for tipping.

nothing gained but something lost. make tips mandatory first, then figure out what to index them against.

there you go running on with diarrhea of the mouth about something you know absolutely nothing about. i can't begin to tell you how wide the chasm is between a tight budget and throwing money away just for the sake of it.

not being wasteful is the vehicle that allows one to become rich. as benjamin franklin once said, a penny saved is a penny earned. and just why are you so hell bent on giving more money to the government as putting the tips in the base fare does nothing for the workers that a different non-taxable method doesn't also achieve.

btw, dollars come from pennies. so quibbling over pennies, especially since it would be thousands of them on every cabin sold, it a smart thing to do.

just do do a little math for you, gratuities on a 7 night cruise per person comes to 90.65. state sales tax in florida is 6 percent so the tax generated by being dumb enough to put the tips in the base rate because it's 'just pennies' as you state equals 544.9 pennies per person sailing given to the government for no reason whatsoever or for a cruise with 3,500 guests on it that equates to 1,907,150 pennies given to the government per sailing just because one is too lazy to figure out a different method to make tips mandatory or so arrogant as to think a different method that doesn't waste money isn't smarter just because 'life is too short'. :rolleyes:

I see where you're coming from, but the cruise fare is not taxed in the typical sense. Whether you pick the most expensive room or the cheapest room on the ship, the amount of port taxes/fees are exactly the same.

I think a lot of people that say they wish they "Were included in the price of the fare" mean that they are just added in. Not necessarily in the actual fare, but part of the whole package like the port fees/taxes. You know, the Prego way "It's in there" type thing. Of course I don't speak for everyone so I apologize if I offend someone.

Yup. That's how it works.

But the same thing happens on the ship between the MDR and the steakhouse. They serve the same way, on plates, from the right, yet charge 7 times the tip that they do in the MDR. And most people forget to remove that tip for the uneaten meal in the MDR, for work not performed.

Wow, So some people forget to remove the tips for uneaten meals. I really hope no one does this but you. This is the cheapest thing I have ever read on these boards. Congratulations.

But the same thing happens on the ship between the MDR and the steakhouse. They serve the same way, on plates, from the right, yet charge 7 times the tip that they do in the MDR. And most people forget to remove that tip for the uneaten meal in the MDR, for work not performed.

Wow, So some people forget to remove the tips for uneaten meals. I really hope no one does this but you. This is the cheapest thing I have ever read on these boards. Congratulations.

You got that right. I thought smoking threads brought out the worst in posters but this one is smoking w/nasty, uninformed comments.

Now, I will start a firestorm here. Try this.

Do not prepay gratuities and on day one tip your room steward a $20 and tell him how you like your room taken care of. I like fresh towels twice a day, new sheets every day, both a morning and evening spruce and the kids love the towel animals.

Then each day leave him another $20. On the last day of the cruise I remove all gratuities and pay the same amount in cash to the restaurant staff and the rest to the steward, and I give my kids each $10 to give to any employee who made their cruise nice. I am still tipping the full amount, even a little more, but my room steward thinks he is being tipped double until the last day and I get superior service. A little underhanded, but that is how they should already be treating everyone.

Now, I have tried it the other way. Thinking maybe I am paying for nothing here, but the one cruise I did prepay, service was dismal compared to the rest, many days I had no towel animal even after mentioning it and had to ask for towels.

Yes, I know, some people behind the scenes miss a tip this way. Sorry, that is a problem Carnival must address. When did tipping become salary for people I never see or speak to?

Absolutely your choice to tip they way you want.

Yes, that is the proposal. Treat it like a restaurant. Tie the tip to the spend amount.

Excepts tips are supposed to be based on service received not on the amount of the bill. Ordering more expensive food and drinks does not equate to better service. :confused:

Edited by nissach

Excepts tips are supposed to be based on service received not on the amount of the bill. Ordering more expensive food and drinks does not equate to better service. :confused:

that is very true but in the u.s., tipping is based on the amount spent. works the same with bar service on a cruise. the more expensive the drink the higher the tip.

Where do you get this figure? I have never seen an additional tip added to the bill in the steak house.

Edited by Bookbug53

Alright makes sense, but seems absolutely silly to order room service for breakfast and lunch your entire cruise! Dumb even.

Rude. Who are you to say that someone is dumb for eating wherever the heck they want to eat?

If tea is your only breakfast everyday on the ship then whatever floats your boat. But, to also have room service for lunch everyday just seems silly to be cooped up in your room like that when there's so much other food on the ship to enjoy, and fresh air as well. I'll be completely honest, I just don't believe that someone is on a cruiseship and never eats anything but room service the entire week for breakfast and lunch.

I sit out on my balcony, drinking my coffee, eating my bagel and cream cheese, waiting for my kiddo to wake up and eat her cereal and fruit so we can go start our day. Hardly "cooped up" and we have the same amount of fresh air as anyone else on the boat gets. I am curious why someone would find this experience to be so "silly", "dumb", "unbelievable". etc. Plus this way I get tomato juice.

I sit out on my balcony, drinking my coffee, eating my bagel and cream cheese, waiting for my kiddo to wake up and eat her cereal and fruit so we can go start our day. Hardly "cooped up" and we have the same amount of fresh air as anyone else on the boat gets. I am curious why someone would find this experience to be so "silly", "dumb", "unbelievable". etc. Plus this way I get tomato juice.

There are just some people that think everything is their way or no way. I think I would enjoy a week to do nothing but have room service delivered, sit on a balcony watching the ocean, read all day, sleep when I want, I can even have bar drinks delivered.....hell, I think I just planned my next cruise!! :p

Not a hairy chest in sight!!

The person said breakfast and lunch the entire cruise in their room. What you describe is actually quite typical, and normal even. Throwing in all lunches in the room too is silly--my word dumb. I'm entitled to my opinion.

Edited by Rh2458

Not a hairy chest in sight!!

That right there is what I think is silly and dumb. I went to one of those hairy chest contest on my first Carnival cruise and never went back again on any cruise. I'd rather go watch a bar brawl than suffer through that. :eek:

P.S. Why would anyone care who orders their breakfast and lunch in their room? For me, it's one less person I have to see licking their fingers in the MDR and Lido!

Edited by elliair

The person said breakfast and lunch the entire cruise in their room. What you describe is actually quite typical, and normal even. Throwing in all lunches in the room too is silly--my word dumb. I'm entitled to my opinion.

Sail in a 600 s/f suite with a huge balcony and the ability to order anything off of any menu. Why would you bother to go to the dining room? Instead of dumb it is relaxing. Until you try it, don't knock it.

Sail in a 600 s/f suite with a huge balcony and the ability to order anything off of any menu. Why would you bother to go to the dining room? Instead of dumb it is relaxing. Until you try it, don't knock it.

I'll keep that in mind if I'm ever so lucky. With that said, this is a Carnival folder and the likelihood of being able to order anything off of any menu and have it delivered to your room isn't currently possible.

You got that right. I thought smoking threads brought out the worst in posters but this one is smoking w/nasty, uninformed comments.

I would like to know what is nasty or uninformed about what I said. It is my opinion that it is ridiculous to back out a portion of your tip because you happen to eat at a specialty restaurant or the chefs table.

that is very true but in the u.s., tipping is based on the amount spent. works the same with bar service on a cruise. the more expensive the drink the higher the tip.

It works the same here in Canada too. I just don't agree with that logic and I don't tip according to it either. I tip a dollar amount I think the service deserves regardless of the amount of the bill.

I would like to know what is nasty or uninformed about what I said. It is my opinion that it is ridiculous to back out a portion of your tip because you happen to eat at a specialty restaurant or the chefs table.

I was agreeing with you. The other quote was the problem.

Thanks for the shore excursion answer. Much appreciated.

The suggested amount for shore excursion tipping is as follows:

"For a half-day shore excursion, give the guide $2. Give $4-$5 for a full-day excursion -- consider giving a bit more if there was especially personalized service. And don't forget the driver -- give drivers $1 for half-day excursions, $2 for full-day ones."

You have to be careful on shore excursions because everyone will have their hand-out and it really isn't necessary to tip everyone who asks. I tip the main tour guide and the driver. If someone else helps me off the boat or assists in some other way, I usually give them a dollar or two.

Agreed. On our first cruise, my DH and I didn't realize we could request a table for two in the MDR, and after sitting at a table with 3 other couples who were all college friends on the first night, we felt so uncomfortable that we ate the rest of our dinners on the Lido. We never even thought to remove the tips from the servers in the MDR for those nights spent at the buffet, they didn't work any less hard simply because we weren't there.

You are correct, it does not equate to better service. However, the actual tip is dependent upon the service you receive and you use your total bill to figure out an amount depending on that service. So, in reality, on land the tip is based on both the quality of service and then the amount of your bill.