customs on a 14 day hawaii trip

moorefunn

does the ship still have to clear customs and do we go thru customs if you never set foot on forein soil

is the disembarkment easier quicker ect

we are doing a 14 night roundtrip lax to hawaii to lax in march we can never set foot on forein soil ( although we stop in mx for 30 minutes no one can get off)

Hi Moorefunn

We're doing Summit on 3/26 - is that your date?

From what we've been told from our CC friends on the 3/26 thread, 11 a.m. would probably be too early for a flight. It seems it's quite a way to LAX and the security, from what we've been told, is very long. Even if the ship docks at 7 - you don't get off before at least 9 and then it's a ride to the airport. Leave a few hours for security and that leaves you on the ground when your plane it taking off:mad:

My BIL an SIL had booked a flight for 10:30 and after talking to us they changed it to a later flight. It's a little too risky to plan on a flight that early. I'm sure some of our LA friends out there can give you more details, but this is what we've been advised and why our flight is 1 PM. We were even a little afraid about that time but found out it should be doable.

Good luck and I hope you get some more information to make an informed decision.

PatC

Great question on customs clearance. I am anxious to hear from someone that has done the cruise.

I would make an assumption that you will have to clear customs. After all John Glenn had to file a customs declaration on his first flight and never got out of his capsule. I remember seeing it at the Smithsonian.

When you step foot on the ship you are on foreign territory. You are considered to be in the country that the ship is registered in, so you do have to go through the customs process, but it isn't a big deal....as long as you don't go over the customs allowance :D

From the San Pedro cruise port to LAX is not really that far, around 20 miles. On a Sunday morning you could get there in 30 minutes or less.

But......You will have to go through customs getting back to LA, the ship has to clear and you might not be able to get off the ship in time to get to the airport for an early flight. If it were me, I would not plan on being off the ship until 10:30 and plan my flight accordingly.

I'd rather have to wait extra time at the airport than go through the stress of possibly missing my flight.

The last time I sailed out of San Pedro, I had to take my sister to Lax. She had an about 11 am flight and we made it with plenty of time to spare and that was on a Friday morning. Sunday should be a snap. I wouldn't say Long Beach is really closer or easier. I always get turned around in Long Beach. It is pretty much a straight shot to LAX.

When they say plan to arrive at the airport two hours in advance, for LAX they mean it. We occasionally fly out of LAX when we can't get what we want from John Wayne or Long Beach. We recently flew out of LAX on a Wednesday, mid morning. We were there two hours early, has done online check in and didn't check any bags. By the time we got through security and made it to the gate we only had about 20 minutes till boarding began.

We have never been off of a ship before 845. It will take you at least 30 minutes by cab to get from San Pedro to LAX. If it is a week end the check in lines will be long as will security. I wouldn't book a flight earlier than noon, and that might be pushing it.

Regards

I also am interested in the airport issue re time to book a return flight. I looked into using the Long beach airport but would have to change planes twice:eek: vs. a direct from LAX.

We're going back on the Dawn!

Have a great cruise

Denise

we are doing the 3/12 cruise

i booked my air for 12:33

on a sunday i think ill be ok

we also leave oct 29 on connie i hope hurricanes will be done by then

she is out of port liberty nj we are going to drive to that one

The last time I sailed out of San Pedro, I had to take my sister to Lax. She had an about 11 am flight and we made it with plenty of time to spare and that was on a Friday morning. Sunday should be a snap. I wouldn't say Long Beach is really closer or easier. I always get turned around in Long Beach. It is pretty much a straight shot to LAX.

Long Beach airport is 7 miles closer to the San Pedro port than LAX, with traffic, it can make a big difference. The point is, do you want to take a gamble on the ship clearing in time. I agree, if you are off the ship no later than 8:30 am, LAX is no problem for an 11:00 am flight.

Bottom line, make sure you have travel insurance.

moorefun, your flight should be fine.

I have been through customs in LA many times and I can tell you it's not pretty. (I miss the good old days when you just gave them the little paper and walked on) I would not book a flight before 12:30. Luckily I do not have to worry about flying. If I get of the ship late then that just means my drive home will be a little late. This is one reason I jumped on the Hawaii trips. I can drive an hour and a half to a Hawaiian vacation, how great is that.

Hi Denise--

How ya doin? Wish we were going with you. We really loved the Dawn.

Dad is pretty frail now (hospital 3 times since our cruise) and is now on oxygen. He is still with us but, we have hired help for him. He still tells everyone who will listen about his great cruise.

Archived